Sound quality (headphones) and DAC

Search This thread

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Guys please post about the sound quality, loudness and DAC used in this post. Many might get to have a hands on and they can tell us more!
And this is regarding Headphones/earbuds only. Not speakers as we alrady kow they are powerful.
Music is important to many here i am sure :)

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Guys please post about the sound quality, loudness and DAC used in this post. Many might get to have a hands on and they can tell us more!
And this is regarding Headphones/earbuds only. Not speakers as we alrady kow they are powerful.
First of all the One is freaking loud and has tons of bass and the audio is really clear aswell. all these things are better than the great experience I got from the xperia Z, the decidng factor for me to choose the one over the z was the fact in headsets the one is clear, much louder and much more bass and music what I mainly use on my phone.

Reactions: AayushDhuria

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Thanks man..i think we discussed this in XZ thread as well..I guess both of us have the same taste in music and sound quality alongwith loudness :)
Did you go hands on with the HTC ONE?? And how?

@home

Feb 16, 2009
Well I sure hope it sounds better than the One X & the One X+ cause they where pants.

Dreadful audio, beatsaudio is a pile of poo. Just put a good quality DAC in & Ill use Poweramp - Sorted.

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Thanks man..i think we discussed this in XZ thread as well..I guess both of us have the same taste in music and sound quality alongwith loudness :)
Did you go hands on with the HTC ONE?? And how?

I went down to Phones 4 u, oxford street (bond street) shortly after the launch to play with it, to see if it was worth changing to the one from the z and from my 3min play with the one, i pre ordered it. then went back to play with it some more.

I found the camera/video and video sound better than the side not a major difference but i thought images were sharper and audio was alot better on video (my opinion)
sound in headphones is far better than the z in clarity, loudness and bass (fact)
screen is better (fact)
I also find the UI on the one to be better (my opinion)
phone is faster and smoother than the z (fact)
obviously loud speaker is better (fact)
also when watching movies you can take pics with a dedicated on screen button rather than holding down power button/down on volume button which didn't work all the time.(fact)

things I didn't like about the one is no memory card slot and the fact in the menu you have to scroll up/down instead of left/right not a biggy though.
this is not to say the z is rubbish as it really isn't but just in major areas I find the one better.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Well I sure hope it sounds better than the One X & the One X+ cause they where pants.

Dreadful audio, beatsaudio is a pile of poo. Just put a good quality DAC in & Ill use Poweramp - Sorted.

Audio is far better than one x and one x+ imo. for the first time on a phone I wont have to use power amp.

batna.antab

May 13, 2012
Does anyone knows wich DAC does the s600 use? Audio quality is my main concern and a quality DAC like the wolfson found on the exynos 4 and the cirrus found on the iPhone 5.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Wow cool man..Its always nice to hear from a person who has had a hands on experience.
Just few questions..
1. Like in butterfly the speaker and headphones had separate amps..does HTC ONE also has one for headphones? i know it has for speakers.
2. Does it feel smaller in hand? i mean its 4.7 screen is taller rather than wider [breadth]..so does that make it look like iphone 5?

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
Wow cool man..Its always nice to hear from a person who has had a hands on experience.
Just few questions..
1. Like in butterfly the speaker and headphones had separate amps..does HTC ONE also has one for headphones? i know it has for speakers.
2. Does it feel smaller in hand? i mean its 4.7 screen is taller rather than wider [breadth]..so does that make it look like iphone 5?

despite being taller than the s3, it certainly doesnt feel it. It also feels somewhat smaller than the z (even though on paper it is minimal) and better to hold in the hand despite being thicker but thats it because the back is rounded.
I dont know if it has a amp for the headphone jack but based on that experience it really doesn't need one if it doesn't have one that thing is crazily loud and bassy.
Infact i couldnt even have it on max volume just like with 8x otherwise you'll lose your hearing whereas on the xperia z i wish it was a bit louder tbh and I proved that I was right today because I went down oxford street played with it in the three store again and I could hear noise from the traffic outside and the sales assistant that was talking to me which isnt good imo. I like my music loud so when i am outside i cant hear a thing and also bassy aswell and the one covers this by far.

it does sort of resumble a iphone 5 in the way it looks tbh.

I just cannot wait until the 15th its pain staking that I waited so long for the z and now its nearly here now i have another long wait for the one.

Last edited:
Reactions: poondog

ethan3686

Aug 19, 2009
India
Thanks for the inputs..I understand how u feel man..Same here...XZ is round the corner but ONE is coming on 15 march india..Patience has its limits too :p

BaronInkjet

Jul 5, 2012
Dallas
of-g.com
Great device. I want to love it. But history tells us that thus far nobody has delivered outstanding audio from a Qualcomm SOC. I hope this is the one where they prove me wrong!

Audio aside, this could be the one where HTC finally takes a BIG bite out of Samsung. Except for audio concerns, I would be ordering one today! I will be anxiously awaiting tests.

onlinejobwork

Aug 31, 2008
LONDON
OnePlus 8T
I went down to Phones 4 u, oxford street (bond street) shortly after the launch to play with it, to see if it was worth changing to the one from the z and from my 3min play with the one, i pre ordered it. then went back to play with it some more.

I found the camera/video and video sound better than the side not a major difference but i thought images were sharper and audio was alot better on video (my opinion)
sound in headphones is far better than the z in clarity, loudness and bass (fact)
screen is better (fact)
I also find the UI on the one to be better (my opinion)
phone is faster and smoother than the z (fact)
obviously loud speaker is better (fact)
also when watching movies you can take pics with a dedicated on screen button rather than holding down power button/down on volume button which didn't work all the time.(fact)

things I didn't like about the one is no memory card slot and the fact in the menu you have to scroll up/down instead of left/right not a biggy though.
this is not to say the z is rubbish as it really isn't but just in major areas I find the one better.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Audio is far better than one x and one x+ imo. for the first time on a phone I wont have to use power amp.

I ordered Silver, can u tell me how is viewing angle between Z and One ? which one do you feel more premium feel?

Eggcake

Apr 5, 2010
Viewing Angles is easy: the Z has a TN panel (which results in very bad viewing angles, as some sites such as phonearena suggest). SLCD3 still uses IPS as far as I know and on some pictures it was clear that the viewing angles are still superb :)
Just one glint at a picture of the Z and it was clear to me that the display just doesn't meet the expectations. Blacks and saturation/contrast in general are terrible. What's the point of 1080p, where you see the difference to 720p in some cases when you look closely when at first glance the contrast/blacks totally turn you off?

RCJ89

Oct 5, 2012
london, UK
I ordered Silver, can u tell me how is viewing angle between Z and One ? which one do you feel more premium feel?
viewing angles and infact the whole screen was just better on the one not to say i think the z is rubbish, just that the htc is better. also i feel that the one is more premium due to aluminium design again not to say the z doesnt feel premium. TBH the z is a great phone just the one is a greater phone and i believe had htc used 16gb memory + memory card slot or even have the 64gb version in the uk it would sell more phones as I know people complain about only having 32gb (about 26gb free memory).

AayushDhuria

Oct 1, 2011
viewing angles and infact the whole screen was just better on the one not to say i think the z is rubbish, just that the htc is better. also i feel that the one is more premium due to aluminium design again not to say the z doesnt feel premium. TBH the z is a great phone just the one is a greater phone and i believe had htc used 16gb memory + memory card slot or even have the 64gb version in the uk it would sell more phones as I know people complain about only having 32gb (about 26gb free memory).

It has 64GB version.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

hapticc

May 4, 2010
New Delhi
Audio will be as outstanding as htc butterfly if not better and thats best sounding phone according to gsmarena htc butterfly review as ONE has same DAC. Read the review of butterfly at gsmarena to go in more details

Sent from my LT22i using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Audio will be as outstanding as htc butterfly if not better and thats best sounding phone according to gsmarena htc butterfly review as ONE has same DAC. Read the review of butterfly at gsmarena to go in more details

http://m.gsmarena.com/htc_butterfly-review-888p7.php

BaronInkjet

Jul 5, 2012
Dallas
of-g.com
Noise/dynamic range have not measured up to iphone & samsung/wolfson on any snapdragon phone to date. I hope this is the one.

I wish somebody would test hacked Android phones. For example, all the reviews whine about low volume but it is a five minute root/file edit on many phones.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all the One is freaking loud and has tons of bass and the audio is really clear aswell. all these things are better than the great experience I got from the xperia Z, the decidng factor for me to choose the one over the z was the fact in headsets the one is clear, much louder and much more bass and music what I mainly use on my phone.
    Just few questions..

despite being taller than the s3, it certainly doesnt feel it. It also feels somewhat smaller than the z (even though on paper it is minimal) and better to hold in the hand despite being thicker but thats it because the back is rounded.
    I dont know if it has a amp for the headphone jack but based on that experience it really doesn't need one if it doesn't have one that thing is crazily loud and bassy.
    Infact i couldnt even have it on max volume just like with 8x otherwise you'll lose your hearing whereas on the xperia z i wish it was a bit louder tbh and I proved that I was right today because I went down oxford street played with it in the three store again and I could hear noise from the traffic outside and the sales assistant that was talking to me which isnt good imo. I like my music loud so when i am outside i cant hear a thing and also bassy aswell and the one covers this by far.

it does sort of resumble a iphone 5 in the way it looks tbh.

I just cannot wait until the 15th its pain staking that I waited so long for the z and now its nearly here now i have another long wait for the one.