HTC Confirms Droid Incredible 2 Recieving ICS

Search This thread

Meticode

Feb 17, 2011
Maybe this sheds more hope on the X2 getting ICS? The main difference between the phones are the X2 has a dual-core processor while the Incredible 2 has a single-core, but the Incredible 2 has 768MB of RAM while the X2 has 512MB. They both came out at around the same time period as well. Wouldn't the dual-core/single-core processor make a bigger difference on performance with ICS versus the 256MB extra of RAM?

http://www.droid-life.com/2012/02/1...nd-rhyme-will-all-receive-ice-cream-sandwich/

If the Incredible 2 gets it and the X2 doesn't I'm going to be slightly frustrated on the matter.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Well, unless memory management is a real mess on Android, I don't see why 512MBs of ram isn't enough. I ran WinXP for something like 2 years with 512 for 2 years and it ran smooth and fast. Then I added another 512 and to be honest, I couldn't tell the difference. The two OS's don't even compare when it comes to size and what needs to be loaded into ram.

Granted, the processor on the computer was twice as fast as the one on the X2, but I know people who ran XP just fine on the same amount of ram and a 1GHz single core processor. A bit slower than mine, but it ran fine. Perhaps I'm missing something. Don't know but it doesn't make sense to me.

its simple
Motorola has released so many freaking phones lately that they do not have the time/manpower to keep up with updating them so they are gonna pick their biggest sellers and update them.
the x2 was simply a flop seller for them.
between the D3 coming out close to it, and the buzz around the bionic at the time, along with all the returned devices because the damn phone can't even play music smoothly consistently, it just seems like they aren't to worried about the relatively "small" percentage of customers they will piss off either by taking WAY to long to update us, or just altogether snuffing us on the update...
rant rant rant bla bla bla and all that nonsensical banter

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: iBolski

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
its simple
Motorola has released so many freaking phones lately that they do not have the time/manpower to keep up with updating them so they are gonna pick their biggest sellers and update them.
between the D3 coming out close to it, and the buzz around the bionic at the time, along with all the returned devices because the damn phone can't even play music smoothly consistently, it just seems like they aren't to worried about the relatively "small" percentage of customers they will piss off either by taking WAY to long to update us, or just altogether snuffing us on the update...

You, sir, get a gold star and go to the head of the class. In other word, right on the money. :D

iBolski

hell even the HTC thunderbolt is getting ICS

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Hence, that's why I'm going HTC for my next phone. They at least seem to give a crap about their customers whereas Motorola wants to saturate the market with as many new phones as possible, going completely against their promise not to do so.

Oh well, this is the same company that promised to unlock their bootloaders by the 4th quarter of 2011 and we all now how smooth and wonderful that went.

I know someone posted that he despised HTC because they didn't seem to last long , going bad in a few months due to hardware failures. Has anyone else noticed that before or even now? Just curious.

BreatheALittle

Jan 23, 2012
The Land of Sun and Fun
Hence, that's why I'm going HTC for my next phone. They at least seem to give a crap about their customers whereas Motorola wants to saturate the market with as many new phones as possible, going completely against their promise not to do so.

Oh well, this is the same company that promised to unlock their bootloaders by the 4th quarter of 2011 and we all now how smooth and wonderful that went.

I know someone posted that he despised HTC because they didn't seem to last long , going bad in a few months due to hardware failures. Has anyone else noticed that before or even now? Just curious.

The HTC phone owners I know absolutely rave about their phones. I haven't heard about any hardware failures from them, and we talk about our phones frequently. So far, I've heard the best reviews on the Rezound. Which HTC are you considering?

its simple

+1 , indeed.

Think that the massive amounts of phones being created and released will decrease now that Google has acquired Motorola? That maybe, just maybe, they'll focus on quality over quantity?

jbatacan

Mar 21, 2010

I had a tmobile htc g1 for like 3 years. That thing was indestructible, and i even had gingerbread on it when it finally died. It fell into water no less, not even a hardware failure. Since then iv had an Incredible, which was a tough cookie as well, and a thunderbolt after that. Any talk of failures bar the software bugs the Tbolt had in its release IMO are pretty few and far between. i know i had great luck with them, and had i not loved my droidx so much in the time i had it, i probably wouldnt have a dx2. i do miss my unlocked bootloaders, and 1.8ghz OC on my tbolt :( too bad the battery life was atrocious. Id say go for an htc next :)

MatthiasvW

Feb 15, 2012
New City, NY
I also have to think that HTC has hit upon something with their recent commentary about shifting from producing a lot of models of smartphone to producing a few very GOOD models of smartphone. I'm all for this, I don't see any reason why there should be 10 varieties of phone from a single vendor on a couple of carriers, you're just creating problems like what we're seeing from Motorola here.

03civicdx

Nov 23, 2010

In my past experience with HTC phones they didn't last long at all. I had a few crap out on me with hardware failure. But, that was a few years ago they may have better hardware now. Or I would really hope so anyways.

Sent from my MB870 using xda premium

Elite49

Jul 5, 2011
Every phone I've ever bought turned out to be crap and loose support within months. Next Time its either HTC or Samsung. I vowed not to get Motorola before I bought the X2 but bought it anyway. I love the phone but once again feel shafted.

grnsl2

Our company went with the origional incredible (10-15 phones) and didn't have many hardware issues that I'm aware of. Coverage was typical far as I could tell.

Me, I took a X back then and loved it till they killed it with GB. They offered me a few choices as a free replacement and I took the X2 thinking I had the docks etc for it.

At this point I'm not hesitating to jump ship from Moto, like alot have already said, to many phones pushed onto the market spreading the support for them way way to thin.

Sent from my MB870 using XDA App

dg4prez

Apr 16, 2011
Hooksett, NH
i wasn't impressed with my samsung. my fascinate seemed like it was forgotten the moment it was released. nice screen, though. my inc2 is three times the phone that was, and is currently running ICS with very few bugs, save for buggy camera. the biggest issue and gripe about htc is the audio. on the inc2, at least, the audio levels are low on custom roms unless tweaked in the kernel, due to the weird way they did the audio on this phone. i do like the phone, but for pure modding, i don't think you can beat a nexus. that may be my next device. i'd LOVE to see an HTC nexus.

Johnpg

Dec 15, 2011
I don't understand why you guys are complaining that X2 isn't getting ICS. I mean this phone came out in April or May11... There has only been 1 phone to even release with ICS since then and the next is still about a month out. By the time a ICS update would even hit for this phone, you would probably be a couple months from a upgrade anyway and a waaay better phone.

btw I had a HTC Incredible. Amazing phone and I abused the heck out of it on a physical and software level. Id go back to HTC in a heartbeat when their tegra 3 phone comes out.

754boy

Sep 28, 2008
Shaw, MS
I'mma be honest. I personally don't care if this phone gets ICS or not. I've toyed around with a nexus before and I still don't see what the big fuss over ICS is about. Sure ICS would be cool, but I wouldnt cry if I didn't get it lol.

I'mma be honest. I personally don't care if this phone gets ICS or not. I've toyed around with a nexus before and I still don't see what the big fuss over ICS is about. Sure ICS would be cool, but I wouldnt cry if I didn't get it lol.

but the fact remains
Motorola publicly stated/promised to give updates and support devices for 18 MONTHS AFTER RELEASE. our x2 is perfectly capable of handling ics, we SHOULD get it. if we don't I for one will chalk it up to Motorola being lazy, not trying hard enough,.and being greedy (many people WANT ics and by not updating x2 many people will go buy a new device)

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
All this talk about HTC and Sami phones being better and all. But put aside cool features and even usability cuz of an unlocked bootloader. Do they sound as good as a phone?
I thought the D3 was a better sounding but had to choose ours cuz of the Bluetooth tone that is forced on D3 users. Yet I never heard a phone sound as good as the original Droid.
Rant off.

iBolski

Because of hardware acceleration. It offloads graphical processing from the CPU and places it where it belongs: on the GPU.

Better multitasking via a kernel rewrite to make the system smoother.

Those are the two biggies for me.

And, unless the X2 gets an ICS kernel, you won't see those two things.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    its simple

The HTC phone owners I know absolutely rave about their phones. I haven't heard about any hardware failures from them, and we talk about our phones frequently. So far, I've heard the best reviews on the Rezound. Which HTC are you considering?

its simple

+1 , indeed.

Think that the massive amounts of phones being created and released will decrease now that Google has acquired Motorola? That maybe, just maybe, they'll focus on quality over quantity?

I had a tmobile htc g1 for like 3 years. That thing was indestructible, and i even had gingerbread on it when it finally died. It fell into water no less, not even a hardware failure. Since then iv had an Incredible, which was a tough cookie as well, and a thunderbolt after that. Any talk of failures bar the software bugs the Tbolt had in its release IMO are pretty few and far between. i know i had great luck with them, and had i not loved my droidx so much in the time i had it, i probably wouldnt have a dx2. i do miss my unlocked bootloaders, and 1.8ghz OC on my tbolt :( too bad the battery life was atrocious. Id say go for an htc next :)