(How-to) Increase MMS image file size limit from 300k to 2M or 5M

Search This thread

moonzbabysh

Jul 17, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I've seen a few people ask about how to increase the MMS file size limit so I figured I'd post up this easy way to do it.

Download GoSMS from the market if you don't already have it installed

(I've attached Screenshots for you to follow along)

Go to Settings, click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down and click "MMS settings"
Click on "Maximum MMS size"
Set to desired file size limit.

Then press back button
Check the box to "Preserve image resolution"
And BAM, your done. Easy Peasy.

Even though I have no 4g here in Phoenix AZ, I usually have it set to 2M. It usually takes a little longer to send on 3G but I can confirm that it does in fact send.

MoPhoACTV Initiative

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-38-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-38-06.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 6,921
  • Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-38-00.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-38-00.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 6,182
  • Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-37-50.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-08-13-37-50.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 5,869
Last edited:
Reactions: KaiTzer

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah check with the person who receives it how big of a file he gets if ever gonna get that massage unlikely so. What you send is not what you get even when send to yourself try it.

Sent from my MB855

moonzbabysh

Jul 17, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Yeah check with the person who receives it how big of a file he gets if ever gonna get that massage unlikely so. What you send is not what you get even when send to yourself try it.

Sent from my MB855

I have, and when I click on the image I sent myself or my girlfriends phone, it is not grainy and the pictures are nice and big, not almost thumbnail like.

MoPhoACTV Initiative

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
My point is if you click on details info size would not be the same as they were sent

Sent from my MB855

dsims7_2000

Apr 6, 2009
Virginia, USA
This is good, but trust me. A few years back, people were walking around the office taking video and sending inter-office e-mail. One I liked and tried to send via MMS to family. No good. I then took like 10 second video to send, same thing, no good as it was too big.

Take 15 hour video and attach to e-mail! Then send to:

123-456-7891@att.net
123-456-7891@sprint.com
123-456-7891@tmobile.com

(whatever, you get my point!) but it does the same thing! The only thing bad with Sprint is, you do not have use of your phone while transmitting! My "15 hour video" comment was a joke (and you would be stupid to try it) I did like 2 minutes of HD and it tied up my phone for like 10 minutes or so? WiFi would likely be better?

dito33

Jul 13, 2010
Well that's a good point but when comes to sending an email attachment just use regular email and every smart phone is tight to email account anyway and accomplish is the same, the struggle is how to send mms and either the phone or provider on either site compresses the attachment.

Sent from my MB855

Lambetts

Nov 7, 2007
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hey Guys.

I've been looking at how to do this for ages but...GoSMS is all well and good but, I like the stock SMS app...Its a little more...lets say, less "permisiony"...

But how can one do this change with the stick SMS app?? Is there an XML file you can edit?

Thanks.

Reactions: anthonyalessi74

shanesaccount

Apr 11, 2007
Did you ever get any resolution to this? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google edition and definitely want to stick to the stock messaging app, but outgoing photos attached via SMS from the camera are compressed to garbage. They're tiny and horrifically artifacted... it's killing me.

-Shane

Hey Guys.

I've been looking at how to do this for ages but...GoSMS is all well and good but, I like the stock SMS app...Its a little more...lets say, less "permisiony"...

But how can one do this change with the stick SMS app?? Is there an XML file you can edit?

Thanks.

dannieloco

Did you ever get any resolution to this? I'm on a Samsung Galaxy S4 Google edition and definitely want to stick to the stock messaging app, but outgoing photos attached via SMS from the camera are compressed to garbage. They're tiny and horrifically artifacted... it's killing me.

-Shane

No fix for this then? i just sent a text on my one plus and its 90kb, danggg

DroidinAndStuff

Jan 19, 2015
I just tried this on my VZW S4 and it seems to work for sure at 2mb. HOWEVER, when attaching pix it does not give any means to pick "gallery" so that I can pick images to attach from their files, instead, taking you straight to what appears identical to the factory installed "picture" app where all images are shotgunned onto a single HUGE page. Can this be fixed?

Other than that, I love the app as it does give a better detailed report with each post time and DATE stamped as well as a little green check to indicated received. The stock messaging doesn't do that and also will not allow you to request a read receipt without getting the same audible notice that you get when receiving a message.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few people ask about how to increase the MMS file size limit so I figured I'd post up this easy way to do it.

Download GoSMS from the market if you don't already have it installed

(I've attached Screenshots for you to follow along)

Go to Settings, click the "Advanced" tab, scroll down and click "MMS settings"
    Click on "Maximum MMS size"
    Set to desired file size limit.

Then press back button
    Check the box to "Preserve image resolution"
    And BAM, your done. Easy Peasy.

Even though I have no 4g here in Phoenix AZ, I usually have it set to 2M. It usually takes a little longer to send on 3G but I can confirm that it does in fact send.

MoPhoACTV Initiative
    Hey Guys.

Thanks.