[ROM] OaT's Light n Tasty: DISCONTINUED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Background
As a bit of background, I publicly posted ROMs on PPCGeeks for the HTC Touch w/WinMo several years ago. Since then, I continue to develop ROMs primarily for family and friends on the EVO4G, LG Optimus, Acer A500, and of course the HP TouchPad. After an initial testing period by a group of volunteers here at XDA (thank you, thank you, thank you), I have decided to publicly release this ROM. I hope you enjoy it.

Philosophy and Acknowledgements
My emphasis has always been on a very light and fast ROM that leaves plenty of room for one's own apps and customizations. My HP TouchPad ROM is based on a very stripped down KANG of the latest CM9 version (big thanks to Dalingrin, JCSullins, and all the other TPad devs that have brought this capability to us) that supports HW Video (meaning Netflix and HD YouTube) and all the other goodies you have come to know and love.

In addition there are also a few other treats thrown in, primarily,
  • the recently released QualComm adreno 2xx drivers,
  • the init.d tweaks published by Rohan,
  • the new ath6kl wifi drivers being incorporated into the 3.0 kernel,
  • the new HD Tablet launcher by the "Go" folks.

Big thanks to all the folks associated with these for their generosity in publicly providing these tweaks. Finally, I also employ a very stripped down version of the latest version of GApps that I will also link to. You can use the full version of GApps found elsewhere, but that will then somewhat defeat the intent of this ROM. The attached pics will give you some idea of what to expect. The benchmarks are all "typical" of the results I get on a non-overclocked CPU running at ~1.2GHz.

Updates
In terms of updates, I actually build the ROM and the kernel almost on a daily basis so my older AMD quadcore isn't tortured with having to handle an extraordinary number of new commits. But that doesn't mean I flash almost daily. It all depends on what looks significant, if I really want to try something new, or if I'm just bored :eek:. You can find out what's new in the below "News" section of this OP to find out what's the latest on my front.

Flashing and .apk's
Of course, all the standard cautions about doing the necessary backups (nandroids, titanium, or my backup) and the requirement for a complete set of wipes/formats (data, cache, system, dalvik) apply. Actually, I only find it necessary to wipe cache and dalvik between flashes of my own ROM. I also flash Gapps anew after each ROM flash. If you like experimenting with the other available ROMs, I advise a complete set of wipes and formats. And of course, you are flashing at your own risk.

Any .apk's included below need to be placed in the system/app directory with a rooted file manager, e.g. es file explorer, ensuring the permissions are the same as other .apk's in that directory, followed by a reboot. Unless, otherwise noted.

News
08/30/12
  • DISCONTINUED

Links
OaT's "Light n Tasty" GApps:

OaT's "Light n Tasty" ROMs:

Last edited:

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
First my sincere thanks to those who have already responded. Next, the ROM and Gapps are uploading now. I will be sending out the links as soon as the upload is complete. So that you can check your downloads, here are the MD5s that you can verify against.

ROM: fd3520fd207bfbab74eeaac04f964d1c
GApps: a70b46b81730846bafdb4174a013c09f

Edit: The ROM and GApps are finished uploading. Those who responded via PM, should be getting a reply PM with the links. If you don't receive, LMK, and I will send again.

Last edited:

dawinkley1

Nov 24, 2009
I remember from the touchpeo days! Good to see you. I'm interested in testing of you need more. Take care OTA

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

sahhar1993

Jan 25, 2010
tebessa
I'm considering publicly posting the ROM I build for family and friends, but I would like some additional feedback before deciding whether to go forward or not. As a bit of background, I publicly posted ROMs on PPCGeeks for the HTC Touch w/WinMo several years ago. Since then, I continue to develop ROMs primarily for family and friends on the EVO4G, LG Optimus, Acer A500, and of course the HP TouchPad. My emphasis has always been on a very light and fast ROM that leaves plenty of room for one's own apps and customizations.

My HP TouchPad ROM is based on a very stripped down KANG of the latest CM9 version that supports HW Video. In addition there are also a few other goodies thrown in including the recently released QualComm adreno 2xx drivers, the init.d tweaks published by Rohan, the new HD Tablet launcher by the "Go" folks, and some other stuff that I've undoubtedly forgotten to mention, but will with full credit if I do go forward with this publicly. I also employ a very stripped down version of the latest version of gapps that I will also link to. You can use the full version of gapps found elsewhere, but that will then somewhat defeat the intent of this ROM. The attached pics will give you some idea of what to expect.

I am only going to open this up to a "few" testers who might be interested in this kind of light ROM approach. If you are interested, PM me and I will get back to you with the links asap. Of course, all the standard cautions about doing the necessary backups (nandroids, titanium, or my backup) and the requirement for a complete set of wipes/formats (data, cache, system, dalvik) apply.

but whats new in this build
can you use bricked-kernal in your rom or overclock gpu please :D

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

dan-fish

May 27, 2011
I'd be happy to test if you still need people.

Sent from my Desire Saga using xda premium

A

android_owl

I'm interested in this rom. I'd contribute also for it.

sonjohn1

Aug 29, 2010
Please include a file manager for us folks that can' t get wifi to connect. It comes in handy to install apps Thanks
John

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Please include a file manager for us folks that can' t get wifi to connect. It comes in handy to install apps Thanks
John

Sent from my MB855 using xda premium

Wow! No wifi at all, ever? Have you tried adb'ing files from your computer into your tablet? Guess I could include a file explorer as an app that could be uninstalled, but this seems a rather extreme situation. Any others facing this dilemma?

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
All: At this point I feel I have a good number of testers so I am closing the open call for volunteer testing.

Testers: For those who got a PM from me with the download links, please download the files as soon as possible as I will be removing the files from the server later today. Finally, my sincerest thanks to all my volunteers and a gentle reminder to please provide some feedback when you are able.

Last edited:
Reactions: crunchtime85

Leoisright

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 22, 2010
MN
As I said in the OP, the emphasis is on lite that allows your favorite apps and customizations, not mine. In that vein, if bricked-kernal can be used on CM9, than it should be applicable to this ROM.

Hey oat. First, hope to see you publish this to everyone, second, if you are compiling from source you can fork the file explorer from me/US if you want. It has such a small footprint on the Rom and would help those who need it.

Questions let me know. Thanks and BTW, if you need anything we certainly will help with what ever.

Good luck.

~Leo

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

O.a.T.

Jul 12, 2009
Hey oat. First, hope to see you publish this to everyone, second, if you are compiling from source you can fork the file explorer from me/US if you want. It has such a small footprint on the Rom and would help those who need it.

Questions let me know. Thanks and BTW, if you need anything we certainly will help with what ever.

Good luck.

~Leo

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the encouraging words and thanks for the offer. I do build from source and early on included a file manager. I haven't lately as the taste for file managers among myself, friends and family changes routinely. I would only need to update that file and reactivate a few lines in the build script to get it back in.

YamiYaiba

Jun 8, 2008
Knoxville
I'd absolutely love a ROM like this. I've been wanting something light and speedy.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

kal87

May 19, 2009
rom

so, i installed this rom this morning, came from [RC1.2] CM9 with Cornerstone, wiped cache and davlik, didn't wipe data or anything, everything carried over perfectly, and so far so good, youtube works hd also, the games i play work perfectly, been running smooth all day.

only hic-upsi had was videos on youtube site didn't load in chrome browser, and my wifi froze for literally 5 seconds. either than that, i've had no problems.

i'll report on how battery life is tomorrow, and which if any apps give me trouble, cause i like using a new rom all day, and see how battery life compares to a fresh recharge

Last edited:

sahhar1993

Jan 25, 2010
tebessa
can you add supercharger v6 ics to your rom please
it will be awesome

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=16635544
Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Background
    As a bit of background, I publicly posted ROMs on PPCGeeks for the HTC Touch w/WinMo several years ago. Since then, I continue to develop ROMs primarily for family and friends on the EVO4G, LG Optimus, Acer A500, and of course the HP TouchPad. After an initial testing period by a group of volunteers here at XDA (thank you, thank you, thank you), I have decided to publicly release this ROM. I hope you enjoy it.

Philosophy and Acknowledgements
    My emphasis has always been on a very light and fast ROM that leaves plenty of room for one's own apps and customizations. My HP TouchPad ROM is based on a very stripped down KANG of the latest CM9 version (big thanks to Dalingrin, JCSullins, and all the other TPad devs that have brought this capability to us) that supports HW Video (meaning Netflix and HD YouTube) and all the other goodies you have come to know and love.

In addition there are also a few other treats thrown in, primarily,
    • the recently released QualComm adreno 2xx drivers,
    • the init.d tweaks published by Rohan,
    • the new ath6kl wifi drivers being incorporated into the 3.0 kernel,
    • the new HD Tablet launcher by the "Go" folks.

Big thanks to all the folks associated with these for their generosity in publicly providing these tweaks. Finally, I also employ a very stripped down version of the latest version of GApps that I will also link to. You can use the full version of GApps found elsewhere, but that will then somewhat defeat the intent of this ROM. The attached pics will give you some idea of what to expect. The benchmarks are all "typical" of the results I get on a non-overclocked CPU running at ~1.2GHz.

Updates
    In terms of updates, I actually build the ROM and the kernel almost on a daily basis so my older AMD quadcore isn't tortured with having to handle an extraordinary number of new commits. But that doesn't mean I flash almost daily. It all depends on what looks significant, if I really want to try something new, or if I'm just bored :eek:. You can find out what's new in the below "News" section of this OP to find out what's the latest on my front.

Flashing and .apk's
    Of course, all the standard cautions about doing the necessary backups (nandroids, titanium, or my backup) and the requirement for a complete set of wipes/formats (data, cache, system, dalvik) apply. Actually, I only find it necessary to wipe cache and dalvik between flashes of my own ROM. I also flash Gapps anew after each ROM flash. If you like experimenting with the other available ROMs, I advise a complete set of wipes and formats. And of course, you are flashing at your own risk.

Any .apk's included below need to be placed in the system/app directory with a rooted file manager, e.g. es file explorer, ensuring the permissions are the same as other .apk's in that directory, followed by a reboot. Unless, otherwise noted.

News
    08/30/12
    • DISCONTINUED

Links
    OaT's "Light n Tasty" GApps:

OaT's "Light n Tasty" ROMs:
    Plan on posting "final" CM9-based LnT this weekend, including a new BEATS audio and a few other ROM refinements, this weekend. Then I'm just going to hunker down and try working with CM10. We'll see how that goes. :confused:
    JB & LnT Update (as I currently see it)

First, I am seeing a lot of activity on the repo as the JB packages are even now being readied and moved into the new tree. The process, I believe, is to "finish" up CM9 with a stable RC2 then fully concentrate on CM10. Since CM10 is a "minor" update (4.0.4 ->> 4.1.1) CM9 will ultimately be abandoned with only CM7 (Gingerbread - 2.X) and CM10 (4.x) being maintained (Honeycomb - 3.X was never publicly released). I don't know how long this will take; could be anywhere from a few weeks to several months, but it has been said that any device that was supported on CM9 will be supported on CM10. Of course, a lot of that will depend on the developers who have specifically contributed to the TPad to rebase their work as necessary.

In terms of updates to LnT, I'm planning one more update sometime this month and then I'll hunker down and wait for JB, as I'm guessing there will only be minor improvements to the current state. Of course, should something major/interesting show up (e.g. the camera) or I get bored :silly:, I will adapt. Finally, I've decided to not go the direct AOSP JB route and just wait for CM JB.

Bottom line, because of the quality of the Touch Pad developers, I firmly believe our lowly TPs will be one of the early recipients of a sleek new JB including some interesting capabilities, e.g. Google Now.
    LnT JB Posted Including LnT JB Gapps

Please read updated News section in OP. Links located in OP.
    When you compile?! The cm10 source are you going to release public? Or you wait jcsullins to released first?

I'll release when it's, IMO, daily-driver quality. That doesn't mean it will be completely bug free, but it must be useable for all basic tasks including browsing, email, music, video, and many of my "critical" apps.