Here's what HTC say about WM6

Search This thread

maninwhitecoat

Oct 20, 2006
Asked HTC about WM6 for my tytn this morning and here's what they say:
Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting HTC Europe regarding a query about ROM update.

We are currently awaiting an official response from our Head Office on the matter of ROM updates from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6.0. We hope to have an answer for you soon.? Please contact us again in a few weeks and we may be able to give you an update.

Thank you for your enquiry, Should you have any other problem, please do not hesitate to call us. Your Local number can be found at
http://www.europe.htc.com/support/cs_by_phone.html

Regards,

HTC European Support team
callservice@htceurope.com
HYPERLINK "file://www.htc.com"www.htc.com

How awesome is that?! Lets hope they say yes!!

Inphyy

Sep 21, 2006
Stavanger
Good Morning,

We are currently awaiting an official response from our Head Office on the matter of ROM updates from Windows Mobile 5.0 to Windows Mobile 6.0. We hope to have an answer for you soon.? Please contact us again in a few weeks and we may be able to give you an update.

Thank you for your enquiry, Should you have any other problem, please do not hesitate to call us. Your Local number can be found at

Regards,

Was just about to post this myself

robt2379

May 18, 2006
Southampton
I think the crux of the matter will be, will it cost HTC anythin to supply a WM6 rom for existing devices? It will cost a bit in development, but would they have to pay MS for licensing?
I'm sure the answer is yes - so they wont do it.
Call me a pessimist if you like . . . Im relying on a clever rom cooker out there!
Rob

ibeqa

Mar 17, 2005
Prishtina
Good Morning,

Regards,

Did anybody notice that only htc vox from three new handsets (forth one has been removed from htc site) presented at 3GSM has wm6 preinstalled. I think that htc will do an upgrade of some handsets with wm5. Let's hope I'm right!

cheers

Maarten_NL

Jan 13, 2006
Tilburg NL
HTC released upgrades for exisiting devices from PocketPC 2003 to WM5 and is busy on other devices for update to WM6, also from WM5 to WM6 'so it could be possible that the TYN gets one from WM5 to WM6.

*fingers crossed*

dutty

Apr 28, 2004
HTC released upgrades for exisiting devices from PocketPC 2003 to WM5 and is busy on other devices for update to WM6, also from WM5 to WM6 'so it could be possible that the TYN gets one from WM5 to WM6.

*fingers crossed*
as far as i know htc never released any OS upgrades... and i've had htc devices since the XDA 1.

dodadent

Sep 21, 2005
Presevo
I dont see any reason to wait for WM6. With WM5 works solid, and i dont see any changes from WM5 to WM6!! Changes of OS from one year, are not enough from Microsoft.

ChaoticDruid

Aug 21, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
dodadent;1141193 said:
I dont see any reason to wait for WM6. With WM5 works solid, and i dont see any changes from WM5 to WM6!! Changes of OS from one year, are not enough from Microsoft.

Well for one, the email client is supposed to be better, also PIE has some updates, but the biggest thing for me is that I spend hours a day behind a remote desktop session from my TyTN, and the client in WM6 is so much better from what I have read, clipboard support..no more transferrin docs to retrieve text....also its supposed to have sound support also...I run streaming media services, and being able to preview audio before I encode it etc..that would be incredibly helpful. And also when you don't rewrite an OS completely you build upon it, work out bugs, and add improvements, plus I guess if you only talk on your device...its not gonna be much different.

I tend to see some people sayin the same thing about the PC OS's, its like they expect a whole new experience with each OS.

When you completely redo the OS everytime you only tick off software designers, There are improvements there, just take the time to look.

Last edited:

maninwhitecoat

Oct 20, 2006
i agree, heavy users of their devices will have huge amounts of program data running at one time, (i do) and sometimes it lags, other times it fails to load new programs. I read that the memory paging was better in WM6 than it is in WM5 so lets hope so!