Case that does not block GPS?

Search This thread

The Specimen

Mar 17, 2011
I'm after a case that will not interfere with GPS activity. I'm currently using 'case-mate pop' and after some tests it severely hinders GPS signal. I've read that 'barely there' case in silver has a lot of problems but what about in different colours?

I was also interested in the 'case-mate tough' but it looks like that has the same issues as the pop case blocking the signal.

ToneyEricsson

Nov 10, 2008
London
I had a pop and now a tough. Have you got a rooted DHD? try the app called Fasterfix and set it to your location pool. You shouldn't have any problems then.

Sent from my Desire HD using XDA App

paul c

Nov 15, 2006
Madrid
I have a CaseMate Pop (silver) & Tough:

Pop - beautiful, but indeed blocks the GPS signal badly. DON'T buy one, other colours appear OK, tbh.

Tough - excellent case, been on the phone a year now, looks like day 1. Would recommend this.

HOWEVER, there is also a bit of a loss of signal. I did a test in the top floor of my house, and the Pop blocked almost all of the signal, and the Tough blocked just a little bit, compared to the naked phone.

I don't consider it to be a significant loss with the Tough case, I have the case on all the time, stick it in my bag & go mountainbiking for hours, and the track is always well recorded. Equally in the car, the satnav works perfectly.

EvilDeadFan

Jan 26, 2008
Strathroy, Ontario
I have an Otter Box Commuter case for my Desire HD, and it doesn't appear to block any kind of GPS signal that I can speak of. I am rooted and am running the latest Android Revolution HD as my current software on the phone, so I can't speak about stock GPS connectivity.

TwistedSanity666

Mar 10, 2011
London
Don't use a case when using GPS, the phones in the cradle on the HTC car kit, can't imagine using GPS elsewhere tbh

Otterbox commuter user here

komigo

Feb 29, 2012
I have just bought a case-mate barely there (black). No problem with GPS.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using XDA App

JSLEnterprises

Apr 26, 2011
Buenos Aires
A thin layer of plastic/rubber does not degrade signal enough to have any noticeable impact (not even half full db).
Shiny cases that sparkle have a very slight impact due to metal flake in the silicone/plastic/paint that makes it its sparkly/metalic color.

- The Fight Against Mis-information

Dr. MaRV

Sep 26, 2011
/home/Dr. MaRV
The GPS from DHD is generally not so good. I'm geocacher and had many trouble with it. I recommend you an external bluetooth gps receiver, that's a very good, precise and powerfull solution, which also at very bad conditions works.

Dlog

Dec 30, 2011
I've use google maps navigation for the last two days.

Normally gps and even the normal location thing (i guess that's agps?) are turned off.

When i turn on both and then start a navigation in google maps i get a gps lock within 5 seconds.

I did install some "gps fix" from this subforum (don't remember which one) but i haven't modified the hardware for the 5 second lock!

/edit:

okay so i forgot to mention: i'm using the otterbox commuter.....no problem with gps at all!

inspire4gfreak

Dec 18, 2011
Belgrade
well, I use silicon case on my Inspire 4G and I suspected it is the reason for poor GPS performances. but then, i followed all possible threads from this forum related to Inspire 4G GPS issues and got my GPS to work. so I recommend silicon case, best choice there is for phone case