[Poll] The black crush issue-here we go again..

Does your S3 have the black crush issue?

• Total voters
Search This thread

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
Comming from a Galaxy Note.. Which had the famous black crush issue..

I cannot believe they didn't fix it..

It's a effect under low lighting conditions. All the darker background would appear as blocks in videos..

so sad:(

The purpose of this thread is to inform those who are wanting to upgrade to the S3 to rethink twice. I for one wanted to get the s3 because my Gnote had this issue..

Edit: For those who understand this issue, does it happen on your S3?

Last edited:

kulzboy

Dec 5, 2010
Orlando
that thread concentrates on the pink tint&ink marks, while black crush is a completely different issue.

ink marks are the same as the black crush effect that you're talking about. Those are visible blocks of inks under low light conditions on black background
7315049392_c06dd29d63_b.jpg

Last edited:

kulzboy

Dec 5, 2010
Orlando
well I might be wrong but these vary. they may be spots or blocks. can you try to reproduce the same effect on photoshop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Minoza

Sep 30, 2010
Zagreb
It's really simple, famous "ink blotches/spots" are static and always appear in same place while crushed black appear in different places depending on what you're viewing, you can easily spot it in movies.

jongilluley

Mar 19, 2008
Having watched tron (very dark black scenes throughout) ihavent seen any crushing or ink spots on my sg3 so am I just lucky or will it happen at some point?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

QAM

Hola

I have a Galaxy Note and yes the black crush issue is a bloody mess. It is a primary reason why I would move away to the S3. I was only hoping that this issue was surely fixed in the S3, very very sad to hear this!!!

OP can you please post a pic of it if possible, their may be many others on the S3 that do not yet understand this problem. I'll see if I can find any decent pix on the Note forums on this issue.

Thanks for this info.

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
Hola

I have a Galaxy Note and yes the black crush issue is a bloody mess. It is a primary reason why I would move away to the S3. I was only hoping that this issue was surely fixed in the S3, very very sad to hear this!!!

OP can you please post a pic of it if possible, their may be many others on the S3 that do not yet understand this problem. I'll see if I can find any decent pix on the Note forums on this issue.

Thanks for this info.

This is very hard to capture on a camera.. Given this only happens on low lighting conditions. If you find a pic of it, i would gladly put it in OP

avocco

Apr 28, 2007
Stockport
I had the Galaxy Note and am very familiar with the black crush problem. The first thing I did when I got my S3 was to replay all the videos I had a problem with.

I didnt have any issues at all, There is no black crush problem on the Galaxy S3. Well not on mine anyway.

avocco

Apr 28, 2007
Stockport
This is very hard to capture on a camera.. Given this only happens on low lighting conditions. If you find a pic of it, i would gladly put it in OP

You sure your talking about the black crush problem. That was visible on all light conditions. Whenever a video with dark scenes would run you could see blocks everywhere and that was annoying has hell. The Galaxy S3 does not have that problem in my experience while using it.

Edit: I just went to YouTube and played back the same videos I had the problems with on the Galaxy Note, again eveything was perfect. Pure deep blacks. No disgusting blocks everywhere.

The OP of this tread is most likely referring to ink splotches that can be seen on very low light conditions.

Last edited:

htc9420

Apr 1, 2010
OMG. Antennagate for HXO, coding for Samsung. Well, it's the zillion cores working hard to please the eye, some got lazy:D

erahk64

Oct 17, 2010
Stockholm
Here are some examples of black crush.
The picture quality is bad but it's still possible to see the black crush.
The upper screen is Galaxy S II and the lower screen is Galaxy S III.

In this pic there is black crush on the roof on S III.

In this pic there is black crush on the audience on the left side.

Last edited:

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
You sure your talking about the black crush problem. That was visible on all light conditions. Whenever a video with dark scenes would run you could see blocks everywhere and that was annoying has hell. The Galaxy S3 does not have that problem in my experience while using it.

Edit: I just went to YouTube and played back the same videos I had the problems with on the Galaxy Note, again eveything was perfect. Pure deep blacks. No disgusting blocks everywhere.

The OP of this tread is most likely referring to ink splotches that can be seen on very low light conditions.

I am indeed talking about the black crush. Not the ink marks.

The ink marks does not effect normal use of the phone, while the black crush issue effects my normal use of the phone very much. Will be contacting Expansys for an exchange, As this is a hardware issue, not software.

Doughnut

Jan 13, 2008
Mine suffers from this, a black patch that appears under grey colours and dark backgrounds it's in the middle of my screen...

Can other S3 users check theirs?

I don't see them unless it's a dark image.

Last edited:

tian105

Mar 11, 2011
Here are some examples of black crush.
The picture quality is bad but it's still possible to see the black crush.
The upper screen is Galaxy S II and the lower screen is Galaxy S III.

In this pic there is black crush on the roof on S III.

In this pic there is black crush on the audience on the left side.

Supercurio said in his Twitter that his app DisplayExpert will solve this problem when it is finished.

I see them, but it's alot worse in my case..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, Thread resurrection!!! :cowboy:

Just bought a 2nd hand i9300.
    I checked everything, I even went into a dark room to look for ink marks on black background...
    Guess what?
    I forgot to check for black crush and it's here. :rolleyes:

Well that's not that bad considering I got this phone cheap, and not worse than a bad tint or stuff like that you can see all the time.

I know this problem: you could say it's a software issue.
    But, as there is no way to calibrate the screen with a software tool, you're screwed and could ask for a phone replacement.
    It's here on video, picture, everywhere. It's just a bad configuration of the grey levels similar to what you can see on your TV screen if you push your contrast too much (like those terrible dynamic contrast thing manufacturers throw in).

I still have to test a screen filter app to see if that helps.

Other solutions are from Supercurio like voodoo colors we had on the SGS1 (even SGS2 if I'm not wrong) and CyanogenMod team color tuning adaptation they put in their rom (I'm using it on my SGS1 and it's great, a bit hard to configure at first though).

I don't know if we have it in CM10 but I saw about the problems they have with Samsung sources... perhaps not for now..?

Black crush was fixed by AndreiLux you can find his kernel in original development as far as I seen all costume kernels have black crush fix included since AndreiLux fixed it in his kernel.