[HOW TO] Barclays Mobile Banking working on rooted S3

Search This thread

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
I've seen a few threads asking if it is posible to get this working on a rooted S3 so thought I'd share how I got it running. This appears to ONLY work with Barclays apps!

Software Needed:

ES File Explorer (free from Play Store)
Barclays Mobile Banking / Pingit (also free from the Play Store)

Steps:

1: Open ES Explorer options and make sure you enable 'Up to Root' & 'Root Explorer'.
2: Navigate to '/system/xbin/' and long press on 'SU' and select 'Hide' from the menu.

NOTE: if you update the SuperSU binary, you will need to do step 2 again!

That's it! No more messing around. You don't need to touch anything else before or after you open the app like temp unroot/hide root. I dont know if Barclays can solve that with an update so I don't plan on updating the app. I'm not a coder and don't know a lot about the technical details of Android so if you run in to problems I can only TRY to help you.

Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Last edited:

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
Ive been using this for a few days now but just started having FC's.

I just re- enabled the permission and rebooted and it's working again.

Reactions: chinedu40

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
I've just downloaded SkyGo and the app opens and I get to the TV guide and get the option to watch it of I sign in. I don't have Sky so can't test any further.

I'm assuming it checks for root when it opens so I'd class that as a success!

Matt3333

May 27, 2012
Done this earlier and it works for me! Thanks for sharing. God knows why Barclays do this!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
Glad it works.

Did you do all the steps or just hide the su file?

daz_2000

May 26, 2011
London
I dont have this app. But tried for sky go.

I dont see Su as per step 4.

I also obviously skipped the first steps. But did do step 3.

Fyi. When u play a channel is when u get error for root.

Reactions: chinedu40

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
Noooooo. Damn them!

I have no idea why I have an SU file in the xbin folder and you don't. Sorry. I'm no expert at this, I was just playing around and Barclays then worked.

I'm curious to find out if this method has worked for any other apps though.

And I'd like to know what has created the su file. Hmmmmm. Unless the Barclays app creates it somehow and references that for its root check.

Ha, can you tell I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about???

daz_2000

May 26, 2011
London
Noooooo. Damn them!

I have no idea why I have an SU file in the xbin folder and you don't. Sorry. I'm no expert at this, I was just playing around and Barclays then worked.

I'm curious to find out if this method has worked for any other apps though.

And I'd like to know what has created the su file. Hmmmmm. Unless the Barclays app creates it somehow and references that for its root check.

Ha, can you tell I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about???

Im in the same boat. But fair play for giving it a go. Respect for getting it to work for barclays.

Audio

May 14, 2007
Salford Quays, Manchester
Just to add to this, i've got mine working but i did it slightly differently. Whenever i disabled the GET_TASKS control, i couldn't launch the barclays app at all. It would just hang at a black screen. So i couldn't do it that way. Try this to see if it works for you too. I'm using Omega v11.1, so don't know if that will make a difference or not.

1) Download Barclays Mobile Banking App and install
2) Download Root App Delete and install
3) Open Root App Delete, Go to SysApp tab, find Super SU and select Disable

After this point, i was able to open the banking app and link my account. It's currently working fine without issue for me

Reactions: twilliams08

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
Hide my root works great on an Aussie banking app. Just hide su binary & su app then use the app. Once done restore both and that's it. And it does it in just a few seconds.

795bce69-0f55-c1f8.jpg

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
This method means you wont need to use any temporary unroot. I'll will always just work whenever you want to open it without messing about before and afterwards.

sxi200

Oct 18, 2010
Melbourne
This method means you wont need to use any temporary unroot. I'll will always just work whenever you want to open it without messing about before and afterwards.

Yep. Found out it works as well if I just hide su app. That way I'm still rooted and all rooted apps still work. Can even leave it that way until an app that needs root gets updated. Then I need to unhide and grant it root access then can hide again.

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
I tried that even when I was using the Desire HD. I tried hiding and renaming su but it was always uneffective for me although I was reading people had good look with it.

Faz1980

Apr 17, 2009
Liverpool
If you open ES then go to the options, scroll to the bottom and tick 'Root Explorer'. Have another look in the xbin folder and the su file should be there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've seen a few threads asking if it is posible to get this working on a rooted S3 so thought I'd share how I got it running. This appears to ONLY work with Barclays apps!

Software Needed:

ES File Explorer (free from Play Store)
    Barclays Mobile Banking / Pingit (also free from the Play Store)

Steps:

1: Open ES Explorer options and make sure you enable 'Up to Root' & 'Root Explorer'.
    2: Navigate to '/system/xbin/' and long press on 'SU' and select 'Hide' from the menu.

NOTE: if you update the SuperSU binary, you will need to do step 2 again!

That's it! No more messing around. You don't need to touch anything else before or after you open the app like temp unroot/hide root. I dont know if Barclays can solve that with an update so I don't plan on updating the app. I'm not a coder and don't know a lot about the technical details of Android so if you run in to problems I can only TRY to help you.

Thanks.

Hello again, found your link and follwed your steps but no luck. Only thing i noticed was that when i went to install
    supersu, it asked me to update not install from the market. So the reinstall button never uninstalled

Was this any different for you?

Yes, it's different for me. The reinstall option worked fine, it fully removed itself.

I'm now on an International S III (I'd had enough of HTC's crappy build quality/problems) and, using the same method as I explained before, it worked a treat.

Step by step:

1. Open SuperSU.
    2. Tap "SETTINGS".
    3. Scroll down until you see "Reinstall". Underneath "Reinstall" it should say "Cleanup for reinstallation from Google Play"
    4. Tap "Reinstall"
    5. It'll show a confirmation box. Tap "Continue"
    6. The app should close, and the SuperSU icon should disappear from your Apps list.
    7. Install SuperSu from Google Play as you would any other app.
    Just as a note, when you first run the reinstalled SuperSU, it will show a message saying that the binary needs updating. I have always let it install the update.

The Barclays Banking and Pingit apps should now work and register without any problems. This includes using the latest version of both apps and SuperSU.
    The Reinstalling worked ace! :)
    What I did by mistake though-
    In SuperSU Settings:
    1) Full unroot
    2) Install Mobile Banking from Market
    3) Go through the steps of activating your account in the app
    4) Flashed SuperSU from zip http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1538053 From Recovery. Because After full unroot I tried installing though market and got error binary cannot be installed.
    5) In SuperSU update binary

In SuperSU Settings
    6) Reinstall
    7) Download SuperSU from Market and update binaries

Final Run Mobile banking again to see if it worked :)
    I have and use Superuser (instead of SuperSU) on my phone, but for some reason SuperSU was also on it. Once I deleted SuperSU from system/app using ES File Explorer, both the Barclays & Pingit apps worked fine, even though the phone is still fully rooted via Superuser.

This tells me that the Barclays App is simply looking for the SuperSU App on your phone - if you don't have it, it assumes all is well and loads.

I guess the App doesn't check if the phone itself is actually rooted, edited or modified in any way, it just looks for the SuperSU app.

Hopefully Barclays wont realise there's also Superuser about, otherwise they'll get the app to look for that too.
    As an update to my previous posts.

This has completely confused the hell out of me, but then I don't code, so it's probably no wonder it's confused me.

My phone died, again (damn you HTC) so I re-installed the ROM i was using. Problem was, the Barclays app started *****ing about root.

Crazily, I found that simply going into SuperSU's settings, tapping "Reinstall" (so it cleans something up on your phone, then removes itself) and then re-installing it from Google Play, somehow makes the Barclays app unable to see that the phone is rooted and it worked perfectly, as does Pingit!

No idea what it does, but I've tried it about 4 times (just to make sure) and it worked every time.