[Q] Please help - Upgrading to stock Froyo with ClockWorkMod installed

Search This thread

Batman66

Sep 23, 2012
Hello folks,

new here, but no new to Android, although I am not expert, thus please be patient :eek:

I have a 2-yr old Aria, which I rooted as soon as the warranty expired and it also has ClockworkMod Recovery on it, version 2.5.0.1. It is still running the stock 2.1 Eclair ROM, the really old one, with no OTA option.

Few days ago I became a victim of the infamous "download unsuccessful" issue with Market (running on 2.1 my Aria does not have Google Market). It just happened out of the blue, I had not installed any new application or done anything weird as root. After having tried all imaginable fixes, referring to the many Google search hit on the subject, but with no effect, I contacted Google support. Their suggestion: do a FDR....

Now, if I have to wipe my phone and rebuild the system, I'd rather take the plunge and upgrade to Froyo.I am getting a new phone soon, which will have ICS, therefore I am not interested at this time in any alternate ROM, the stock 2.2 from AT&T will do. I downloaded it a while ago but never upgraded.

My questions is: what is the correct procedure to upgrade to stock 2.2 Froyo with no danger of bricking the phone, since I have ClockworkMod on it? Do I just run the upgrade following the instructions on HTC web site because it will wipe CWM anyway or should I use the "apply sdcard:update.zip" or "install zip from sdcard" options in CWM Recovery main menu?

Also, should I decide to just do a FDR and go back to the original 2.1 ROM as Google suggested, the right way of doing it is through the "wipe data/factory reset" option in ClockworkMod Recovery, NOT through the "Factory Data Reset" option under "Settings -> Privacy", correct?

For many of you the answers will be obvious, but as much as I have searched over the internet, I have not found a straight answer, especially to my first question (how to upgrade to stock Froyo if you have ClockworkMod installed)

Thanks in advance for any guidance you may provide.

Batman66

Sep 23, 2012
WinSuk,

thanks for the speedy reply!! I suppose you mean doing a Factory Data Reset AFTER I run the HTC upgrade to 2.2, right?

And one more question, if I may: I believe I will lose root once I upgrade to stock Froyo, correct? At this time I do not mind, as Froyo should add a couple of missing features in Eclair that made me root in the first place, namely moving apps to SD and clearing the apps Data.

Thanks again! :good:

WinSuk

Jan 18, 2011
winsuk.net
WinSuk,

thanks for the speedy reply!! I suppose you mean doing a Factory Data Reset AFTER I run the HTC upgrade to 2.2, right?

And one more question, if I may: I believe I will lose root once I upgrade to stock Froyo, correct? At this time I do not mind, as Froyo should add a couple of missing features in Eclair that made me root in the first place, namely moving apps to SD and clearing the apps Data.

Thanks again! :good:

I meant about your second question.. :)
It will wipe data automatically when updating. And yes, no more root

Batman66

Sep 23, 2012
Oh, I get it now. I misinterpreted the "And" at the beginning of your second sentence. Reading on other forums about people who had upgraded their phones from Ginger Bread to Ice Scream Sandwich, I noticed that many of them had to do a FDR after upgrading to get everything working right. I thought you were referring to something similar, although in this case I see how it wouldn't make much sense, since everything that has to do with Eclair 2.1 will be completely wiped off the phone by the 2.2 install.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts