surface and user agent to view webiste as "normal" and not mobile.

Search This thread

doudoufr

Sep 27, 2007
paris
Hi

i've got a question for you :

on any android device, when you want to view a website in "desktop mode", all you have to do, is to change the "user agent" and, et voila, it works. All website are now in "desktop mode".

I would like to do the same on my surface, but, permanently ! I don't want to, everytime, go to "f12" menu and change the user agent to chrome or firefox.

On other forums, peoples told me : "oh you cant, it is a server side problems, all website are not "well coded". and blablabla...."

but i know it's wrong, because i do it, time to time, with the "f12" option. and i know it is possible on android device. (so the problem comes from the surface, which identificate itself as a mobile or "arm" device...)

so my question is : how do I do to change the user agent on the surface, and permanently. i know i have to deal with the "gpedit.msc" and change it here....but for some websites, it is still recognise as a tablet device and then, a mobile website. Which user agent I must use ? (when i do it from time to time with the "f12" option, I use the "chrome or firefox" string, and it works well).

ps : sorry for my english, not my mother tongue.

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
I've used Surface RT for months without ever being redirected to a mobile website... not sure what's up with your experience. A few sites have recognized the RT/ARM portion, but the page was not notably different; certainly it looked nothing like what I get on my phone's Mobile mode.

You can use Compatibility mode to send the IE7 user-agent string to a given site. Hardly a perfect fix, especially if the site would like to use HTML5, but I don't know a better option.

doudoufr

Sep 27, 2007
paris
I've used Surface RT for months without ever being redirected to a mobile website... not sure what's up with your experience. A few sites have recognized the RT/ARM portion, but the page was not notably different; certainly it looked nothing like what I get on my phone's Mobile mode.

You can use Compatibility mode to send the IE7 user-agent string to a given site. Hardly a perfect fix, especially if the site would like to use HTML5, but I don't know a better option.

hi
thks for your answer

What i don't understand, is that we can manually change the user agent (and then view the website in a "normal mode") by pressing f12, and choose another browser, and it works perfectly. All websites are in 'desktop mode". So why can't we do that automatically? i don't want to do that each time i visit a website. I want it done once for all !

The surface identificate itself to a RT/arm device and that's why websites redirect automatically to a mobile version.
Is there anyway to remove this identification, and make sure the surface is always recognize as a "desktop" computer ?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
There used to be a registry hack that would override the default user-agent string, though I don't know if it still works with IE10. Browser plugins can do it, but those aren't going to be available on RT.

As for what string to change it to, I'd suggest just the default UA string for Win8/IE10 on x86 or x64. You can find this using sites like useragentstring.com. For the record, mine is
Code:
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; Trident/6.0)
and if you drop the "WOW64; " part, it's identical to the x86 one.

chaves

Mar 3, 2006
Same here...

It would be great a solution for IE reconize always as "Desktop mode" without need F12 changing procedure.

I use www.bet365.com and it´s always reconigzed as mobile :(