Google Play Store on Fire HD 2013

Search This thread

Craigerade

Mar 29, 2010
Texas
I renamed the original DownloadProvider and DownloadProviderUi apks, adding '.bak' to the end, then moved the apks from this thread in there and changed the permissions. Just gets stuck at "Downloading...". I also tried a few different Play Store versions. Everything else syncs up fine (gmail, chrome, hangouts, youtube, ...), so I suppose it's good enough for now.

What I'm really hoping for is a custom recovery and CM11 nightlies.

Would you be able to post the original apks? I overwrote them like an idiot and now the Amazon app store won't download either.

Craigerade

Mar 29, 2010
Texas
Here are the stock 11.3.1 downloadprovider apks and odex for anyone that needs them.

Attachments

• downloadproviderapks.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 152
Reactions: whuchaka

whuchaka

Dec 30, 2013
Here are the stock 11.3.1 downloadprovider apks and odex for anyone that needs them.

Fixed amazon download but now google play store is closeing again :(

Going into manage applications than force stopping downloads and download manager and google play allows me to reopen google play but everytime i try and install a app off google play store stops. :(

Last edited:

rainabba

Mar 16, 2008
I've got a solution:

Install GPlay Store as mentioned here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2365224

Then follow this solution:

1. Backup your Downloads App via Titanium Backup
  2. Download the files attached to my post to your device
  3. Copy the DownloadProvider.apk AND DownloadProviderUi.apk into your /system/app directory
  4. Set the permissions to rw- r-- r-- for both
  5. Reboot your Kindle Fire HD

Does NOT work for Kindle Fire HD 7" 2013 running 11.3.1 with the following steps.

- Use KindleFree to install the Gapps
- Open Google Play, deal with errors, log in with existing account
- Reboot
- ADB push DownloadProvider apks to /sdcard/
- As su in adb shell:
- "mount -o remount,rw /system"
- "cp /sdcard/DownloadProvider*.apk /system/app/"
- "chmod 644 /system/app/DownloadProvider*.apk"
- "rm /system/app/DownloadProvider*.odex"
- "adb reboot"

First time I tried to open the Play Store, I got connection errors (i'm quite positive my Wifi connection works fine). Eventually those went away, and then when I tried to open the play store, it should brought me back to the launcher without any errors.

Next I cleared data for the following then the Play Store would open for a moment to show me the server error message and then FC.
- Google Account Manager
- Google Play Store
- Google Services Framework

If whuchaka actually has Play Store working on a KFHD7 2013 running 11.3.1, I'd love to know how (and will say as much on THIS thread next).

logcat has me thinking that these downloadprovider files are not the right ones or there's more to be done before they're useful:

Code:
 E ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for downloads
 E Finsky  : [263] DownloadProgressManager.makeCursor: Download progress cursor null: content://downloads/my_downloads
 F Finsky  : [263] DownloadProgressManager.makeCursor: Download progress cursor null: content://downloads/my_downloads
 E ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for downloads
 E InputDispatcher: channel '42872a48 com.android.vending/com.android.vending.AssetBrowserActivity (server)' ~ Channel is unrecoverably broken and will be disposed!
 ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for downloads
 ActivityThread: Failed to find provider info for downloads
 AndroidRuntime: FATAL EXCEPTION: main
 AndroidRuntime: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Unknown URL content://downloads/my_downloads
 AndroidRuntime:        at android.content.ContentResolver.insert(ContentResolver.java:863)
 AndroidRuntime:        at com.amazon.android.app.AmazonDownloadManager.enqueue(AmazonDownloadManager.java:139)
 AndroidRuntime:        at com.amazon.providers.contentsupport.ContentSupportManifestDownloadService.downloadJsonFile(ContentSupportManifestDownloadService.java:241)
 AndroidRuntime:        at com.amazon.providers.contentsupport.ContentSupportManifestDownloadService.access$200(ContentSupportManifestDownloadService.java:50)
 AndroidRuntime:        at com.amazon.providers.contentsupport.ContentSupportManifestDownloadService$LooperThread.run(ContentSupportManifestDownloadService.java:201)
 AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:747)
 AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:92)
 AndroidRuntime:        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:151)
 AndroidRuntime:        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5152)
 AndroidRuntime:        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)
 AndroidRuntime:        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:511)
 AndroidRuntime:        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:793)
 AndroidRuntime:        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:560)
 AndroidRuntime:        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

Last edited:

drjyp

Feb 3, 2014
amazon won't download now...

Hi. I've been reading through all the posts pertaining to the 2013 kindle fire hd 7" running 11.3.1 and I have rooted it and installed a few things. However, when I tried to get google play, I failed miserably. I followed all instructions in all the posts here relevant to gp install on kfsowi and couldn't get it to work. The best part is now I can't download anything from amazon either! I tried replacing them with the original .apk and odex files I found here, but now the whole amazon app store crashes... Am I going to have to start over now, or is there something I'm missing? I have titanium pro and es explorer. Its still rooted and everything except the amazon store works fine. I uninstalled kindlefree after uninstalling everything I installed with it, but nothing. I have rebooted countless times now. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks!

woodchipper

Feb 3, 2014
I had the same problem and I registered just to warn you against trying to reset to factory defaults when your download files aren't working. Without thinking about it, I assumed the original files would be restored and I could start over fresh. Once I told it to reset to default I realized that I probably just ruined my Kindle. The non-working download files will stay in place so you won't be able to download any type of files. And you can't replace the files at that point because your root access, as well as file management apps will be gone. I eventually figured out how to use ADB well enough to replace the files and everything worked fine after that. That is, everything under the original non-rooted system worked fine. As far as I know, the Google Play store doesn't actually work yet.

drjyp

Feb 3, 2014
lucky me!

I had the same problem and I registered just to warn you against trying to reset to factory defaults when your download files aren't working. Without thinking about it, I assumed the original files would be restored and I could start over fresh. Once I told it to reset to default I realized that I probably just ruined my Kindle. The non-working download files will stay in place so you won't be able to download any type of files. And you can't replace the files at that point because your root access, as well as file management apps will be gone. I eventually figured out how to use ADB well enough to replace the files and everything worked fine after that. That is, everything under the original non-rooted system worked fine. As far as I know, the Google Play store doesn't actually work yet.

Thank some higher power I actually fixed the problem with the reset... See, I'm a bit impatient, and generally seem to have pretty good instincts for tech repair. So I went ahead and put it back to factory, re-rooted, re-installed everything-ish, and it's working great, minus the play store. I had re-copied the original downloadui files before I did the reset, so theoretically, it just fixed whatever pathway I broke trying to install the play store. The files themselves were fixed... I really like this tablet, though. such a shame it's so limited. I think it has potential to do more. I'm impatiently waiting for cyanogen.... I really liked that on my 1st gen fire. This thing will be so much faster with kitkat. Would be nice to see cpu's potential, also. runs pretty quick as it is...Thanks for the warning, though. good thing I did something different to amazon! I'd have an unhappy 7-year old wondering why dad messed up his tablet, lol!

christian_bay

Feb 12, 2014

I followed this howto to install the play store but I always got stuck at with the "no connection - retry error" in the play store. So I figured that replacing my stock Downloadprovider apks with the patched ones mentioned earlier in this thread. This didn't work for me, the play store still errored out with the "no connection" error. Now I noticed that the amazon app store also eon't download anymore! After tapping get app it shows 0% download status forever. From the last comments I get that you guys fixed that, how did you do that? I removed all the google play store related apks that I installed and replaced the downloadprovider apks and odex files with the stock ones from above. I have a 2013 kindle fire hd 7 with 11.3xx OS. I rebooted countless times and cleared app caches for the downloadproviders and the amazon store... Only thing I didn't try yet is resstoring factory defaults.

Edit: Finally fixed my Amazon Appstore. What I did to fix it for other people who run into this:
- Remove all Google Play store related packages: Google Play Services, Google Account Manager, Google Framework services, Google Login services, the update from Google Play store using the Applications section below Settings
- finally vendor.apk from /system/apps
- reboot
- replaced the four DownloadProvider*.* files in /system/app with the stock ones from above
- reboot
- 'uninstall all updates' for the two Amazon App store apps and the two Amazon Download-Apps below Settings/Applications
- removed all caches for the two Amazon App store apps and the two Amazon Download-Apps from Settings/Applications
- reboot

Now it works again. Phew. So how do I get the Play store working? ;) Will re-try and post in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2590933

Last edited:
Reactions: blambo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've got a solution:

Install GPlay Store as mentioned here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2365224

Then follow this solution:

1. Backup your Downloads App via Titanium Backup
    2. Download the files attached to my post to your device
    3. Copy the DownloadProvider.apk AND DownloadProviderUi.apk into your /system/app directory
    4. Set the permissions to rw- r-- r-- for both
    5. Reboot your Kindle Fire HD

I followed this howto to install the play store but I always got stuck at with the "no connection - retry error" in the play store. So I figured that replacing my stock Downloadprovider apks with the patched ones mentioned earlier in this thread. This didn't work for me, the play store still errored out with the "no connection" error. Now I noticed that the amazon app store also eon't download anymore! After tapping get app it shows 0% download status forever. From the last comments I get that you guys fixed that, how did you do that? I removed all the google play store related apks that I installed and replaced the downloadprovider apks and odex files with the stock ones from above. I have a 2013 kindle fire hd 7 with 11.3xx OS. I rebooted countless times and cleared app caches for the downloadproviders and the amazon store... Only thing I didn't try yet is resstoring factory defaults.

Edit: Finally fixed my Amazon Appstore. What I did to fix it for other people who run into this:
    - Remove all Google Play store related packages: Google Play Services, Google Account Manager, Google Framework services, Google Login services, the update from Google Play store using the Applications section below Settings
    - finally vendor.apk from /system/apps
    - reboot
    - replaced the four DownloadProvider*.* files in /system/app with the stock ones from above
    - reboot
    - 'uninstall all updates' for the two Amazon App store apps and the two Amazon Download-Apps below Settings/Applications
    - removed all caches for the two Amazon App store apps and the two Amazon Download-Apps from Settings/Applications
    - reboot

Now it works again. Phew. So how do I get the Play store working? ;) Will re-try and post in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2590933