[Q] Teathering On Moto X Developer Edition VZN

Search This thread

gencode

Mar 29, 2008
you have to go back to stock 4.4 recovery and system to take the OTA. So flash the stock 4.4. /system and /recovery using the sbf firmware for your device and then take the 4.4.2 OTA. Then of course you have to flash TWRP and install SuperSU again. So yes, you have to unroot.

Where do we get the stock rom?

Last edited:

gencode

Mar 29, 2008
Both of those files are xml.zip files. Extract the files. The recovery.img is in there.

Okay, so it sounds like if you are going from rooted 4.4 to 4.4.2 it has to be done by putting on 4.4 with rsdlite, basically reseting the phone back to factory and possibly losing all data, then they can upgrade the phone to stock 4.4.2, and then it can be rooted again on 4.4.2. If someone is on 4.4 rooted there is no way to get 4.4.2 without losing whats on the phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I saw this link
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=45598679

Is there an easer one? Im getting the developer edition.
    yes there is an easier method if you get the developer edition and unlock the bootloader.

To root the developer edition:

1) Get the unlock code from Motorola and unlock the bootloader by following the directions in this link, including downloading the Android SDK and installing Motorola Device Manager:

Unlock Moto X Bootloader

2) Get mfastboot.exe here:

mfastboot.exe

and place it in the same directory as fastboot (fastboot is in the \sdk\platform-tools subdirectory of the Android SDK).

3) Get the TWRP custom recovery for kit kat here:

TWRP for Moto X 4.4

and place it in the same directory as fastboot.

4) On your unlocked Moto X, enable USB debugging and download SuperSU here:

SuperSU 1.93

5) Double check to make sure USB debugging has been enabled! Put your unlocked Moto X into bootloader mode by pressing the volume down key and then the power key. Hold for about 3 seconds and release and you should be in bootloader mode. Connect your Moto X to your PC via a USB cable.

6) Open a command prompt on your PC and change directory to the folder where mfastboot.exe is.

7) At the command prompt type:

mfastboot flash recovery twrp-2.6.3.1-ghost-4.4.img

to flash the custom recovery to your Moto X.

8) After the custom recovery has been flashed to your Moto X, at the command prompt type:

fastboot reboot-bootloader

to reboot into the bootloader (I am not sure if this step is necessary but I read somewhere it was necessary and I did it and it worked).

9) Then get into recovery mode by pressing the Volume Down button to highlight recovery mode and pressing the Volume Up button to select the recovery mode.

10) You should now have booted into the Team Win Recovery Project custom recovery. Click on Install to install SuperSu. Scroll down to find the sdcard and select it. Then scroll down to download and select it. Select the SuperSU zip file and swipe to install.

If you want to check to see if you successfully rooted, you can download Root Checker Basic from the playstore and it will tell you if you are rooted.

Remember, to take an OTA, you have to revert back to stock recovery!
    If you've installed Xposed framework (which you definitely should) there's a module called Moto Tether. Been using it for a while, it uses native tethering.
    Is root an obstacle for you for some reason?
    seriously, it was so easy. But not everyone realizes that.
    Thanks man, x100
    Now I'm ready, just waiting for the FedX guy to get here :D
    My friend just got a Verizon DE and it shipped with 4.2.2. If you are on 4.2.2, you need to update it to 4.4 before you root with that version of TWRP I linked to. That version of TWRP I linked to is for 4.4 only. Verizon should push the 4.4 update to you pretty soon after turning your phone on.

They haven't even started the soak test on Verizon yet for 4.4.2. so don't worry about that now. But once they do start to push it to us, you have to revert back to stock recovery before you take the 4.4.2 OTA. And then I think we have to wait to root until someone updates the TWRP to be compatible with 4.4.2.

Here is the link on this if you need more info:

Unlocked Recovery for Moto X on Android 4.4

ETA - on another thread another poster said the same version of TWRP that I linked to above works for 4.4.2

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646361
    Yes but toggle back to media device and that should fix your issue.