[APP] NotepadWS - Tabbed text editor with online Search feature - updated (2.7)

Search This thread

xdaid

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 12, 2009
NotepadWS ver 2.7

NotepadWS is a notepad-like application with TABS feature and some interesting tools such as the WEB SEARCH.

The Web Search (context menu) allows you to get google, wiki or dictionary contents about the word or text selected from NotepadWS,
it could be a good way to perform your search quickly and easily!

FEATURES
- Edit up to four different text files in the same session.
- Switch from one tab to another with just one click.
- Ability to add or remove tool bars at any time.
- Configure each tab separately.
- Online search of selected word or text; google search, wiki search, dictionary.
ver 2.0
- Open and Save dialogs totally redesigned to be more useful and finger-friendly
- Settings page added
ver 2.55
- File association works propely
- Max file size supported increased
- Word-wrap options added
- Copy and paste between different tabs added
- Cmd ExitAll added
- File and Folder Shortcuts feature added
- Start folder option added (if left blank, the folder of last file used is taken)
- Single click option added
- Font and color customization tool added
- Ability to have tabs with different properties (font, colors, start folder, etc)
- Tab character enabled (by pressing tab button you get column alignment)
ver 2.57
- Overwrite related bug fixed
- Read-only related bug fixed
ver 2.7
- External clipboard functions added

tabs improved
Now NotepadWS allows to configure and save the properties of each tab,
so you can have 4 tabs completely different one from another;
each tab has its own font type, size, style and color, background color,
start folder and other properties you can configure through the settings page.
Instead, if you prefer to configure all the tabs in the same way, you don't need
the repeat the setup more times, just setup one and check "apply to all tabs"
in the settings page.

Requirements
- Windows Mobile 5.0 or later
- Touchscreen device
- VGA or higher resolution screen
- .NET Compact Framework 3.5

Hope you enjoy!

Message for the generous people:
If you like this app you can eur, or usd, the amount you prefer. Thank you!

Attachments

• jpgNWS1.jpg
    jpgNWS1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 1,431
  • jpgNWS2.jpg
    jpgNWS2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,206
  • jpgNWS3.jpg
    jpgNWS3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 959
  • tabsp.jpg
    tabsp.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 844
  • NotepadWS2.7Installer.CAB
    229.6 KB · Views: 1,295
Last edited:

jcmm

NotepadWS ver 2.0

NotepadWS is a notepad-like application with TABS feature and some interesting tools such as the WEB SEARCH.

The Web Search (context menu) allows you to get google, wiki or dictionary contents about the word or text selected from NotepadWS,

FEATURES
- Online search of selected word or text; google search, wiki search, dictionary.
ver 2.0
- Open file and Save file dialogs completely redesigned to be more useful and finger-friendly
- Settings page added

Requirements
- Touchscreen device

Hope you enjoy!

Hello,

Your program is very interesting, but I can not use just one problem you encounter, and it is important: only lets you open documents in the folder "my documents" in the main memory device. You should modify the program to allow open and save files in any folder on the device memory and the external memory card.:(:(:(

I have not tested whether extensions can also be associated with your program to automatically open when clicking those files from the file explorer program.:confused::confused::confused:

If I could use it widely, as I need, I would donate a sum of money for it, in that there is a problem.;););)

Sincerely,

stylez

Moderator Emeritus
Hello,

Your program is very interesting, but I can not use just one problem you encounter, and it is important: only lets you open documents in the folder "my documents" in the main memory device. You should modify the program to allow open and save files in any folder on the device memory and the external memory card.:(:(:(

4776841123_90f4ee6b6a.jpg

Very good software :)

Only thing i could ask extra is word wrap "hope i haven't missed the option" ;)

jcmm

4776841123_90f4ee6b6a.jpg

Very good software :)

Only thing i could ask extra is word wrap "hope i haven't missed the option" ;)

Hello,

True, I had not noticed having to click twice (or press "enter") to run this option to access all folders on the device.

What if I notice that you can not open large files, not size, but more than 100 KB can not be with them.

Nor could I see if you can associate text files "txt" to open this program directly from file explorer.

Sincerely,

jcmm

Hello,

I've been testing the program further NotepadWS, which I consider a good application, but there are two problems with it:

I have seen two important issues that prevent me from replacing AgileNotesTouch, which is what I use now, for NotepadWS:

1 .- NotepadWS not allow it to associate with files by extension, to boot automatically with this application. For example, if you associate files "txt" with NotepadWS ... file does not start with "txt" open.

2 .- I do not know NotepadWS maximum size allowed, but a file of 100 KB or more does not open properly. AgileNotesTouch allows very large files sizes, without problems.

It is important that NotepadWS could solve these two problems.

Sincerely,

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
NotepadWS new version - 2.5

What's new and cab installer at first post (updated)

jcmm

NotepadWS ver 2.5

FEATURES
ver 2.0
- Open file and Save file dialogs completely redesigned to be more useful and finger-friendly
- Settings page added
ver 2.5
- File association works propely
- Supported max file size extended
- Word-wrap options added
- Copy and paste between different tabs added
- Cmd exit added
- Editor and menus improved
- Bug on launching online dictionary fixed

Requirements
- Touchscreen device

Hope you enjoy!

Hello Xdait,

Now he has been magnificent NotepadWS v2.5 program. Only one small detail I see in my device (VGA) and is the icon of your program in the file explorer leaves very large, so you see only a quarter of the icon ... only that detail.

I just made a donation through PayPal by using the program, as I indicated. I hope you get well.

Sincerely,

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
Looks interesting, just what i was looking for. Any chance for WQVGA in future?

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
Thank you a lot JCM!

2.5 -> 2.51

- Now app memorizes the folder of last file used for the next launch
- File shortcuts list added, to open registered files with just one click

QVGA version, probably i will do it, but don't know exactly about the time i need

2.51 cab installer at first post

regards

powinmo

May 5, 2010
Thank you a lot JCM!

2.5 -> 2.51

- Now app memorizes the folder of last file used for the next launch
- File shortcuts list added, to open registered files with just one click

@xdaid, appreciate the effort you've put in to this app so far. It has a lot of promise.

I've been playing with it off and on since the 2.0 release. It has not replaced me using AgileNotes (which has its own set of issues for me) on a regular basis, but I look forward to the possibility.

Here are my suggestions and please note I understand you have a life and your own set of requirements when you code, so I know maybe none of these comments might be used...

1. if you can support PWI files

2. if you can handle files with carriage return + linefeed end of line terminator (eg, DOS, windows based text files). Right now, files with CR+LF show up as unprintable characters

3. if you can allow for a default file folder on startup. Use the file shortcut UI you just implemented and apply it to select default, and/or favorite folders. I see you've just implemented it to memorize the last used folder, that is a good start and should be retained unless a default folder is specified.

4. allow for a default file type (eg, TEXT, LOG, etc). Currently always defaults to TEXT when you restart the app.

5. suggest adding or putting an EXIT APP type selection/option in your "cmd" CLOSE action list. Right now it has "X" to only close the active tab, but you have to go to the MAIN MENU to exit the app. Just does not seem intuitive in my opinion.

6. allow the user to select a default background color, font size, and font color if possible (to override system defaults). I realize this suggestion may be difficult or out of scope.

Future wish list, knowing it would likely require extra effort as you may not have the development environment to test on:

a. support the newer WM 6.5.x layout with the STARTMENU and "X" button on the bottom of the screen, or at least detect you are running on the newer versions and keep that bottom bar accessible.

b. use a better file selection UI. Right now, at least on my device, you have to tap on the actual scroll bar to scroll. It should be smooth and fluid like some of the default file selection interfaces in AgileNotes or even Resco File Explorer.

c. allow similar option like Resco or Total Commander for double or single tap to open a directory or file in your selection UI.

Again, thank you for the time and effort you have invested in to this application thus far.

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
A new version --> 2.55

cab installer and info at first post

It's a quite-big update for NotepadWS, sure not all the stuff listed by powinmo but.. something has been done.

Hope you enjoy

jcmm

A new version --> 2.55

It's a quite-big update for NotepadWS, sure not all the stuff listed by powinmo but.. something has been done.

Hope you enjoy

Hello Stefano,

Congratulations !!!... you've made a great program, you've passed this new version. Thanks for your program remains my sole editor in my HTC Touch Pro, I do not need anything else to work. :D:D:D

Sincerely,

powinmo

May 5, 2010
A new version --> 2.55

Hope you enjoy

@xdaid. Sweet! Did a quick test run, and seems you incorporated many of my suggestions. Nice work so far.

Only major concern right now is:
- allowing up/down scroll gestures in the file selection UI without actually having to tap directly on the scroll bars. Trying to do a scroll gesture typically selects the item your finger first lands on - basically seems the filename/directory listing of that UI reacts to single tap picking only.

Other than that, my left overs from my prior wish list post are still items:
(1) pwi support and (a) winmo 6.5.x UI support
Again those are not critical, just something for down the road - if even possible.

It's pretty close to being my daily editor and that's saying a lot. Keep up the great work.

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
Please re-download 2.55 cab installer

i forgot to include a small bug fix, now the cab is updated.

@ powinmo: scroll gesture in file selection UI should not be a problem, i will implement it soon.

Instead, pwi support could be quite hard to realize, i have some ideas about how
extract text from / save text to pwi files. Just ideas so far, but i can try..

regards

powinmo

May 5, 2010
Please re-download 2.55 cab installer

i forgot to include a small bug fix, now the cab is updated.

@ powinmo: scroll gesture in file selection UI should not be a problem, i will implement it soon.

Instead, pwi support could be quite hard to realize, i have some ideas about how
extract text from / save text to pwi files. Just ideas so far, but i can try..

regards

@xdaid - appreciate your continued work on the app! Looking forward to seeing that file selection UI more usable and closer to how others UIs act.

As for pwi support, I would put that priority at the very bottom and address any other items you feel are more important.

I do have one additional request after using your app a bit more now:
- add the ability to recognize a scroll up/down gesture versus highlighting text when editing. Right now, when you try to do that the editor strictly acts as if you want to mark text for an action (eg, copy, looking, etc). To scroll through a long document, you have to literally tap on the scroll bar versus the natural inclination of using a gesture.

Other than that, I'm almost sold on trying to the app as my regular editor. Thank you for being so receptive to user comments and suggestions!

xdaid

Jul 12, 2009
For those who like to use the tab character to get fixed spaces / column alignment:
I added a 2.56 version, it's the same as 2.55 but tab character is enabled.

jcmm

For those who like to use the tab character to get fixed spaces / column alignment:
I added a 2.56 version, it's the same as 2.55 but tab character is enabled.

Hello Stefano,

I think your application becomes an application program is essential to our Windows Mobile devices. You've got an editor and text file reader very versatile and practical, ingenious solutions. Thanks for your good program. :D:D:D

Sincerely,

12aon

Retired Senior Moderator
Mar 24, 2008
I've been looking for a nice notepad app for a while now, this looks pretty nice :). Thanks for sharing!

I have a bit of a request: would you consider adding file 'scheme' functionality. Say you are looking a reg file, the 'scheme' would highlight certain predefined key words or phrases making it more readable. The same could then be true for .xml, .mscr or any other file that can be read by notepad. You think that would be doable?