[Guide/Mod] -Kindle Fire MAWR Market! *now with better build.prop*

Search This thread

enkode

Apr 22, 2010
Jersey
Intro: This is my first guide, so be nice.. This will give you access to every app on the Android Market. I have downloaded apps that were previously “incompatible” and almost ALL of the gameloft, popcap, EA, etc.. games run without FC, validate, and download their additional data without failure for MY device thus far. It will revert after a restart, but its great to get what you want without having to do TB backup/restores over and over again for stuff you forget/buy later/etc...

If you have changes you would like to see to this guide, please comment!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Feb 5th

I have been tweaking the build.prop for the last month or so, and have found some modifications that will boost performance and increase your battery life. It isn't an ungodly amount, but it is noticeable to me.

The build.prop is attached to the post now, instead of uploaded to an external site.

The old 2.2.6 market is attached for apps that show as "incompatible for your device".

Disclaimer:

I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your device. Do this at your own risk.

YOU MUST BE RUNNING CM7!
YOU MUST HAVE ROOT!
I WILL NOT SUPPORT STOCK!

IF THIS WORKED, CLICK THANKS!!

Prerequisites:

• CM7
  • Root
  • Root Explorer
  • Titanium Backup
  • Attached Files
  • Terminal Emulator

Lets do this thing:

First, the build.prop

We are going to replace the build.prop, so make a backup of the one you have.

• open RE, and head over to /system/
  • copy that file and put it in a safe spot

Now we are going to put this modified build.prop in the location of the old one.

• download this modified build.prop to your phone’s sd card:
  • open RE and copy the build.prop you just downloaded
  • navigate to /system/ again
  • click Mount R/W to give RE permissions to modify these files
  • paste the build.prop in the /system/ directory
  • if it asks to overwrite, go ahead and it will make a backup of the original called build.prop.bak
  • restart your device

Next, the Market

Now, we’re gonna get rid of, and replace some of the market data.

Open TB and delete “or freeze if you prefer” the following from the app list:

• Market

This is optional! Do this if you are installing the old market and want it to not update until you restart.
Open up TE and run the following:
  • pm disable com.android.vending.updater

Now, we replace the Market that we had with the downloaded ones:
  • install and overwrite data “if it asks” for com.android.vending_2.2.6.apk
  • open your app drawer
  • open market “you should see the old version of the market”

HAVE FUN DOWNLOADING!!!

About the build.prop:

I had been screwing around with the build.prop for a while trying to find the best combination of fingerprints and such to put as to get the most out of the market. I discovered that the GT-P1000 “GTab” had the best results, so I changed the following:

Code:
ro.product.model=GT-P1000
ro.product.brand=Samsung

ro.build.description=GT-P1000-user 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD DXJPI release-keys
ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/GT-P1000/GT-P1000:2.3.3/GINGERBREAD/DXJPI:user/release-keys

I recently threw in the following performance modifications from various threads all over the interwebs. This combination works well for me. It is already in the new build.prop, so if you find a different setting to work better for you, post it and I will give it a try.

Code:
ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
debug.performance.tuning=1
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096, 16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,163 84,256960
media.stagefright.enable-player=true
media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
media.stagefright.enable-http=true

Attachments

• com.android.vending_2.2.6.apk
    1.8 MB · Views: 797
  • buildprop.txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 2,668
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2010
Thank you so much I have been looking for a successful attempt at changing the build.prop file before I attempted it. I am very glad you shared your knowledge.

Apr 29, 2010
Yeah it worked perfectly..I did skip wiping my system cache and everything worked perfectly still..once again thank you so much. Just in time for the end of the gameloft sale..lol. I really love it!

Apr 29, 2010
Dude I love you..lol not only did I gain access with the old market, after I rebooted and killed the terminal, I now how access to all of the apps with the updated market..it appears to be to the perfect fix for the market, at least for me anyway. I will keep you posted if anything changes. I know I still have access to all Gameloft and EA games. Bravo sir. The only thing I did differently from you walk through is I didn't system wipe before install the old android market.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using xda premium

Reactions: theholyfork
Dec 2, 2011
#GSU
Thanks a ton!
This method worked perfectly. I figured that it might have something to do with the build.prop's device fingerprints but I just never had the patience to try it.

I actually just skipped the market part and followed the replacement of the build.prop with a reboot. I still got access to apps I previously weren't able to see before while using the new market app, however Im not sure if its the entire market. I also skipped the wipe of the /system and everything is working fine.

Poler166

Nov 25, 2010
Carlsbad
Crash

whenever i try to get to the market it just crashes ... any suggestion ?

EDIT: never mind it works now :) Your epic :)

Last edited:

theholyfork

Jun 10, 2011
East Lansing, MI
Dude I love you..lol not only did I gain access with the old market, after I rebooted and killed the terminal, I now how access to all of the apps with the updated market..it appears to be to the perfect fix for the market, at least for me anyway. I will keep you posted if anything changes. I know I still have access to all Gameloft and EA games. Bravo sir. The only thing I did differently from you walk through is I didn't system wipe before install the old android market.

Could you elaborate how you got access to the full updated market? I tried that, and I can't download anything from it.

vampyrex13

Mar 25, 2009
Awesome. Gameloft's TinTin game now recognizes my Kindle as a 3D supported device.

Sent from my CM7 Kindle Fire

Apr 27, 2011
I just tried this and the only thing that i had to do is copy the build.prop to /system, rename old one to build.prop.bak, set permissions for new one, force stop and clear market data from manage applications, then reboot. Everything shows up and downloads with the new market.

Last edited:
Reactions: theholyfork

enkode

Apr 22, 2010
Jersey
Spoke to soon when ever i try to download an app from the market it force closes and said The application Market (process com.android.vending) has stopped unexpectedly.

This may seem a little out there, but go to titanium backup and longpress the market app and move it to a user app. Attempt to open it up then close it, clear your data from the application details and reinstall the app from the zip on the OP. Install the marketupdater.apk as well.

enkode

Apr 22, 2010
Jersey
Could you elaborate how you got access to the full updated market? I tried that, and I can't download anything from it.

Don't let the other users methods confuse you. If you did everything in the OP, you shouldn't have any problems. If you did, be more specific and I will try to help. No offense. :)

theholyfork

Jun 10, 2011
East Lansing, MI
Don't let the other users methods confuse you. If you did everything in the OP, you shouldn't have any problems. If you did, be more specific and I will try to help. No offense. :)

Don't worry, I'm pretty good with this stuff, but when he said he had full market access I wanted to know how he did it. I can confirm that it works though, I just had to replace the build.prop you provided, force stop the market, and clear the market data, then reboot, and I can see more apps in the new updated market! :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Intro: This is my first guide, so be nice.. This will give you access to every app on the Android Market. I have downloaded apps that were previously “incompatible” and almost ALL of the gameloft, popcap, EA, etc.. games run without FC, validate, and download their additional data without failure for MY device thus far. It will revert after a restart, but its great to get what you want without having to do TB backup/restores over and over again for stuff you forget/buy later/etc...

If you have changes you would like to see to this guide, please comment!

UPDATE: Feb 5th

I have been tweaking the build.prop for the last month or so, and have found some modifications that will boost performance and increase your battery life. It isn't an ungodly amount, but it is noticeable to me.

The build.prop is attached to the post now, instead of uploaded to an external site.

The old 2.2.6 market is attached for apps that show as "incompatible for your device".

Disclaimer:

I take no responsibility for anything that happens to your device. Do this at your own risk.

YOU MUST BE RUNNING CM7!
    YOU MUST HAVE ROOT!
    I WILL NOT SUPPORT STOCK!

IF THIS WORKED, CLICK THANKS!!

Prerequisites:

• CM7
    • Root
    • Root Explorer
    • Titanium Backup
    • Attached Files
    • Terminal Emulator

Lets do this thing:

First, the build.prop

We are going to replace the build.prop, so make a backup of the one you have.

• open RE, and head over to /system/
    • copy that file and put it in a safe spot

Now we are going to put this modified build.prop in the location of the old one.

• download this modified build.prop to your phone’s sd card:
    • open RE and copy the build.prop you just downloaded
    • navigate to /system/ again
    • click Mount R/W to give RE permissions to modify these files
    • paste the build.prop in the /system/ directory
    • if it asks to overwrite, go ahead and it will make a backup of the original called build.prop.bak
    • restart your device

Next, the Market

Now, we’re gonna get rid of, and replace some of the market data.

Open TB and delete “or freeze if you prefer” the following from the app list:

• Market

This is optional! Do this if you are installing the old market and want it to not update until you restart.
    Open up TE and run the following:
    • pm disable com.android.vending.updater

Now, we replace the Market that we had with the downloaded ones:
    • install and overwrite data “if it asks” for com.android.vending_2.2.6.apk
    • open your app drawer
    • open market “you should see the old version of the market”

HAVE FUN DOWNLOADING!!!

About the build.prop:

I had been screwing around with the build.prop for a while trying to find the best combination of fingerprints and such to put as to get the most out of the market. I discovered that the GT-P1000 “GTab” had the best results, so I changed the following:

Code:
    ro.product.model=GT-P1000
    ro.product.brand=Samsung

ro.build.description=GT-P1000-user 2.3.3 GINGERBREAD DXJPI release-keys
    ro.build.fingerprint=samsung/GT-P1000/GT-P1000:2.3.3/GINGERBREAD/DXJPI:user/release-keys

I recently threw in the following performance modifications from various threads all over the interwebs. This combination works well for me. It is already in the new build.prop, so if you find a different setting to work better for you, post it and I will give it a try.

Code:
    ro.kernel.android.checkjni=0
    ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=1
    video.accelerate.hw=1
    debug.performance.tuning=1
    windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
    ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
    net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096, 16384,256960
    net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,163 84,256960
    media.stagefright.enable-player=true
    media.stagefright.enable-meta=true
    media.stagefright.enable-scan=true
    media.stagefright.enable-http=true

I just tried this and the only thing that i had to do is copy the build.prop to /system, rename old one to build.prop.bak, set permissions for new one, force stop and clear market data from manage applications, then reboot. Everything shows up and downloads with the new market.
    Is there no way to modify stock version of build.prop? CM7 is very unstable on my Fire, so I stick to rooted stock ROM.

+1.

I'm also interested in modified build.prop for rooted stock, only in part of device recognition by android market, without any unstable perfomance tweaks). Is it possible or CM7 only?

maybe take a look at modaco - it masquerades as galyxy tab:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439916