Custom GPS Antenna THL W7

Search This thread

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012
Hello.
I Received a THL W7. it has GPS. the GPS Antenna built in simply does not work and i'd like to have some assistance or help to try to fix my gps issues. so far, i have tries touching a 20CM Long wire to the contacts and it made my GPS work, but i would like to keep it an internal antenna that can still give me a good signal. i am not an antenna designer and from what i've tried, if the antenna goes near the battery or the other antennas (wifi, bluetooth) the signal dies. and if the antenna is outside and away from the phone, i get the best signal possible. how am i supposed to make a good GPS antenna but that is flat and can be hidden behind the cell phone cover?

Thanks for any help.

Reactions: InMesh

jpcmmobile

Dec 3, 2012
Hello.
I Received a THL W7. it has GPS. the GPS Antenna built in simply does not work and i'd like to have some assistance or help to try to fix my gps issues. so far, i have tries touching a 20CM Long wire to the contacts and it made my GPS work, but i would like to keep it an internal antenna that can still give me a good signal. i am not an antenna designer and from what i've tried, if the antenna goes near the battery or the other antennas (wifi, bluetooth) the signal dies. and if the antenna is outside and away from the phone, i get the best signal possible. how am i supposed to make a good GPS antenna but that is flat and can be hidden behind the cell phone cover?

Thanks for any help.

Are you sure? My THL W7 will lock in 30-38 secs without data. SNR is also around 30++ which seems good enough for navigation. The built-in GPS antenna (glued to the plastic cover) as I can see is already quite large and should be optimal for this purpose.

Are you trying outdoor and under a clear sky?

However, I have a problem with the compass getting stuck at 2 o'clock. Anyone having this prob?

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012
Are you sure? My THL W7 will lock in 30-38 secs without data. SNR is also around 30++ which seems good enough for navigation. The built-in GPS antenna (glued to the plastic cover) as I can see is already quite large and should be optimal for this purpose.

Are you trying outdoor and under a clear sky?

However, I have a problem with the compass getting stuck at 2 o'clock. Anyone having this prob?

My compass doesn't work. Its entirely random.
Yeah. Outside under clear blue sky doesn't lock. Once I get the wire attached it locks in under 1 minute.
Could you take a photo of your back cover and antenna so I can compare with mine? Thanks.

jpcmmobile

Dec 3, 2012
Yeah. Outside under clear blue sky doesn't lock. Once I get the wire attached it locks in under 1 minute.
Could you take a photo of your back cover and antenna so I can compare with mine? Thanks.

If it's completely random, you could calibrate it using the preinstalled Super Compass app. Try this method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP3d00Hr14o

But mine just gets stuck at 2 o'clock position for a while (2 to 5mins), then it goes completely berserk pointing at random places. No amount of calibration would help. Also, when it's stuck, no amount of calibration would unstuck it.

I'll open up my case after work today and take a pic for you.

jpcmmobile

Dec 3, 2012

2012-12-19-2061.jpg

jpcmmobile

Dec 3, 2012

Thanks. Mine is identical but I can't get a lock with it. Pure annoyance.

Is the GPS connector sunken in? If you look at your mainboard, at the location where the antenna would be connected to, there should be two gold pins/springs. Make sure the springs are not depressed or sunken in or the connection will not be good. I would use a small screwdriver to pull out the pins if it's true.

The other possibility could be your firmware? Have you tried ygps? Perhaps try the typical cold start test with ygps.

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012
Is the GPS connector sunken in? If you look at your mainboard, at the location where the antenna would be connected to, there should be two gold pins/springs. Make sure the springs are not depressed or sunken in or the connection will not be good. I would use a small screwdriver to pull out the pins if it's true.

The other possibility could be your firmware? Have you tried ygps? Perhaps try the typical cold start test with ygps.

yeah, i used the ygps in the mobileuncle for mtk and the gps does not lock on. the golden connectors do make proper contact with the antenna, when i remove the cover i get better signal than when the antenna is connected/cover is on..... i totally dont understand why it works for you but not for me. my antenna does conduct as well, i tested it with a multimeter...

Manan79

Aug 16, 2012
OnePlus 8T
I also have the same problem, new THL w7 , never able to lock GPS at all...I will check the cover and gold connectors but i dont see , why it would not work with brand new phone.

yeah, i used the ygps in the mobileuncle for mtk and the gps does not lock on. the golden connectors do make proper contact with the antenna, when i remove the cover i get better signal than when the antenna is connected/cover is on..... i totally dont understand why it works for you but not for me. my antenna does conduct as well, i tested it with a multimeter...

Manan79

Aug 16, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Also anyone knows any custom ROM for w7 or can be updated to jelly bean?

Sent from my ThL W7 using xda app-developers app

Manan79

Aug 16, 2012
OnePlus 8T
It is risky to upgrade, the ROM file name is ThL.W7.130126.ICS.V13.HD.CN.COM.8P32_MT6577 where CN stands for Chinese, the current ROM version in settings-->about clearly says EN in the name. which is english. If you are english user, this one may turn your phone into chinese language. dont know if it can be changed or not.

Hi all,

THL released a new firmware here. Install and provide feedback here. Please try especially if u're having prob with gps.

Last edited:

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012
It is risky to upgrade, the ROM file name is ThL.W7.130126.ICS.V13.HD.CN.COM.8P32_MT6577 where CN stands for Chinese, the current ROM version in settings-->about clearly says EN in the name. which is english. If you are english user, this one may turn your phone into chinese language. dont know if it can be changed or not.

Hi all,

THL released a new firmware here. Install and provide feedback here. Please try especially if u're having prob with gps.

its not risky to update at all but be warned that its only english and chinese. all the other languages are removed from the CN version. the EN version can be downloaded from needrom, bjut its the old version. i didnt try this version, but there was another older version and that one did not solve my gps or wifi issues.... i'd have to back up first before trying new version.... and in my case, gps is hardware fault.

jpcmmobile

Dec 3, 2012

Hi all,

Hey guys, i tried the new firmware. Despite the name cn, the firmware is entirely english. All you need to do is to change the language in settings back to eng. It surely feels faster and on antutu getting 6.2k score rather than 5k plus. Gps locks way faster now and compass working again! Just so u know.

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012

Hey guys, i tried the new firmware. Despite the name cn, the firmware is entirely english. All you need to do is to change the language in settings back to eng. It surely feels faster and on antutu getting 6.2k score rather than 5k plus. Gps locks way faster now and compass working again! Just so u know.

oh my, i'll have to try it!

Manan79

Aug 16, 2012
OnePlus 8T
Can you pls tell me the process to update, the one on needrom.com is not clear.. Please let me know the steps you followed.

murad052

Jan 25, 2012
Hebron
the problem with antenna .. you need to modified the antenna . by cut the connection between two side .

i put two line but am not sure where the thinnest connection between these two in ur antenna .

i will upload picture of what i did in mine ,

do it on u own responsibility !!!! :silly:

Attachments

• attachment.php.jpg
    attachment.php.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 549

Manan79

Aug 16, 2012
OnePlus 8T
I did not get it...where to put what line ? why to cut the connection ? can you upload a photo

the problem with antenna .. you need to modified the antenna . by cut the connection between two side .

i put two line but am not sure where the thinnest connection between these two in ur antenna .

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012

your red line is on the antenna's empty spot already, if you cut on the black line the antenna becomes super tiny?

The flashing process is included in chinese with the chinese rom, you'll have to translate it to understand it...

i have a google translated version on my desktop but im not near it right now...

dragonfly14

Jun 27, 2012
here are the instructions that i translated

线刷升级操作指引书
注意事项:
1, operating guidelines only models: V9, V11, V12, V12 dual-core, W series, A series;
2, before upgrade control phone model, choose to upgrade the version number must be higher than the version number on the phone "inside view path: Settings → About phone → version number; operation before the upgrade, please phone data backup to avoid loss of data;
3, please turn off your cell phone and reinstall the battery; operation steps one to four are without data cable to connect the phone; 6-4 and 6-13 yellow exclamation mark, place the phone battery reinstall reconnect data cable .
Upgrade steps in the picture for reference only; Vista operating with Win7 as Photo Gallery;

Upgrade steps:
Login our company official website address to download the corresponding phone models upgrade package to your computer desktop, as shown in Figure 1-1;

图1-1
The upgrade package to decompress, methods of operation: Right-click upgrade package to select the decompression tools - extract to the current folder, as shown in Figure 2-1, 2-2;

图2-1 图2-2

Open to unzip the upgrade package folder, there will be three compressed again respectively decompression, and open the the upgrade the platform flash too.exe program, shown in Figure 3-1,3-2,3-3,3-4;
图3-1

图3-2

图3-4

Open scalable platform, the operator loads the upgrade file; Figure 4-1,4-2,4-3,4-4,4-5;
图4-1

图4-5

Use upgrade software on the left mouse button to click the "Download" first party of the computer data line connection, and then press and hold the volume up key not let go, and then plug the phone side data line [you need to turn off the phone andreinstall the battery, as shown in Figure 5-1;

图5-1

A data cable, XP system will automatically pop-up "Hardware Installation Wizard please as shown in Figure 6-5 to 6-11, no pop Hardware Update Wizard, the the Xp driver installation step :6-1 to 6 -11, Win7 driver installation steps 6-12 to 6-20;

图6-1【XP系统】 图6-2【XP系统】

图6-3【XP系统】

图6-4【XP系统】【如无图片中的提示请看注意事项第四步】

图6-5【XP系统】

图6-6【XP系统】

图6-7【XP系统】

图6-8【XP系统】

图6-9【XP系统】

图6-10【XP系统】

图6-11【XP系统】

图6-12【Win7系统】

图6-12【Win7系统】

图6-13【Win7系统】【如无图片中的提示请看注意事项第四步】

图6-14【Win7系统】

图6-16【Win7系统】

图6-17【Win7系统】

图6-18【Win7系统】

图6-19【Win7系统】

图6-20【Win7系统】
Complete the driver installation, "8100", click "OK" closed in this close after phone data cable is unplugged, then re-click on the "Download" option in the upgrade on the platform, and then the phone battery re-installation (no power), then the first press and hold the volume keys on the key "on the side of the phone line connection to display the red read the article, Figure :7-1,7-2;

图7-1【在每一次重新连接手机时,都需要重新安装电池】

图7-2【在每一次重新连接手机时,都需要重新安装电池】

Upgrade process, upgrade the software under the progress bar, there will be three colors, the first "red" color you can loose the volume keys on the key ", the second" purple ", the third"yellow "this color is probably about 3-5, and can be patient, the upgrade is complete, the computer will prompt a small square, the middle of a green circle means that the upgrade was successful, as shown 8-1,8-2,8-3,8-4;
图8-1

图8-2

图8-3

图8-4
Tips:
1, install the driver operation appear the words "INF" As shown, the system lacks a system file [usbser.sys], it is recommended that the Baidu search to download "usbser.sys" to the computer desktop, decompress and copyfile of the "usbser.sys" to the "drivers" folder, specific steps: use the left mouse button double-click the My Computer / Computer ---- Select [local Disk C drive] ---- Select [WINDOWS] folder to open--- Select [system32] folder open --- Select [drivers] folder open --- and then find the space to paste the copied content;

图1
2, install the driver operation, as shown in Figure 1, the lack of a system file [usbport.sys], it is recommended that the Baidu search to download "usbport.sys" to the computer desktop, decompress and copy "usbport.sys"file to the" drivers "folder, specific steps: use the left mouse button double-click the" My Computer / Computer ---- Select [local Disk C drive] ---- Select [WINDOWS] folder open --- Select[system32] file folder opens --- Select [drivers] folder open --- and then find the space to paste the copied content;

图2
1、 在出现如图2所示情况,需要在出现后15秒内,安装第二次驱动或者重新安装电池并连接电脑,出现进度条为紫色100%时,需要安装第二次驱动,安装方法与第一次一样;

图3
2、 在操作出现红色进度条是,出现“2004”的提示错误如图3,这表示数据线电脑一方有松动现象,建议更换电脑USB端口和数据线,或者在插上数据线后,保持“手机与整根数据线静止”状态不动,即可解决;

图4
3、 在操作过程中如有任何疑问,可直接拨打客服热线4000-868-868,感谢您的关注与支持!

my DOCX Instructions are too large to upload to this forum.... (has pictures)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello.

Thanks for any help.