[APP] Floating Soft Keys v2.2.1

Search This thread

rhoadster91

May 10, 2012
INTRODUCING FLOATING SOFT KEYS
* Requires Root
promo.png
Floating Soft Keys is a simple app to avail you soft key functionality even in exanded desktop mode or if you don't want to wear out your hard buttons.

Floating Soft Keys makes use of Mark Wei's brilliant StandOut Library so if you like this app, please go and thank him in his thread if you haven't already.

FSK requires root to emulate input key events.
FSK is still in its initial phases so it might give some errors or cause some crashes. Please report to me and give logcat if possible. Also tell me your Android version. This will help make the app better.

MAKING THEMES FOR FSK v1.2+
For FSK v1.2+, custom icon support has been added. To make your own custom icon theme, simply do the following:
1. Make 4 PNG images for the 4 buttons having square dimensions (default is 130x130)
2. The PNGs should be named as follows (without the quotes):
"back.png" (for back key)
"home.png" (for home key)
"menu.png" (for menu key)
"drag.png" (for the dragging button)
NOTE: Names are case sensitive.
2. Put all these PNGs in one folder. Give the theme name to the folder (e.g. "Holo Keys" or "Black Keys" or "Alicia Keys")
3. Put this folder in the Floating Soft Keys folder found in your SD card (it will appear automatically after running the v1.2 app at least once)

Themes thus created can be used in the v1.2 app by selecting "Use custom icon". You will be prompted to select the icon.
If you would like to share your themes, post em in the thread or PM me. Due credit will be given.

As an example, attached below is a theme called "Bluish tint". You can download it, unzip it and place the "Bluish tint" folder (which is present inside the zip) in your Floating Soft Keys folder on your sdcard. Then you can use it as a theme by selecting "Use Custom Icons" in the app.

USER-CREATED THEMES
Here I will post links to various themes created by you folks.
Shadowed White Navigation Keys by churapa
Grey icons by proctologist
Theme thread by Gil81

As of version 1.4.0, new icons were made default to suit the Holo theme. But if you liked the old icons better, you can still download em from this thread. The zip file has been attached.

Check the app out on the Play Store or check its code out on GitHub

Last edited:

x-dira

Nov 6, 2011
Lg P500 fc (cm7)
can you add volume key,power menu...!
Thanks

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

rhoadster91

May 10, 2012
Lg P500 fc (cm7)
can you add volume key,power menu...!
Thanks

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

Volume keys I probably can add, but I think power key is not allowed in Android for security concerns. I will check and let you know.

Can you please specify what caused the crash?? Also, which version of the app were you on?? Version 1.1.1 had a known bug that caused FC on older Android versions. That has been fixed in the latest version.

Reactions: x-dira

rhoadster91

May 10, 2012
Thanks! last version no fc, but hold button home (recent app) fc...

The force close is because long pressing home activates Google Now, which is not there in Gingerbread. Option to customize home long press action has been added in the new update (v1.3) which will be available on Play Store in an hour or so.

Reactions: x-dira

blueoval50

Sep 10, 2011
installed on my gnex toro running pa 356

just installed and giving it a good run.thanks for the app,great idea adds some versatility to your device.

darkhandsome18

Nov 20, 2011
Thanks OP this is just what I've been looking for to have a fullscreen experience on my phone and tablet. Is it possible in future to have to option to add custom buttons with custom actions? That would be awesome. Thanks

aryan1312

Sep 23, 2012
Mumbai
Well idea is good... since its in initial state of development lacks many basic feature... the response between touch and action is high.. around 1sec
Well dre are few suggestion but the main from my side is that the drag button could also act as expand button, i mean click on drag should expand or shrink the navibar...
Well i confirm Working great with
Samsung galaxy S2 I9100
Slimbean 4.2.2. Build 7
Dorimanx 9.34

Reactions: Raghuvanshi1

beren

Jun 17, 2008
Android Wear
lovely app...
here's my wish list for next releases:

- option to hide cross icon (just make invisible)
- customizable press and long press options for all softkeys
- align keys in vertical position, i'd be great to use with one hand having keys on side of screen
- didn't try to import icons from famous navbar icons thread, i'd like to be able to import from there

desarenezitic

Sep 5, 2012
Derby
I am probably being stupid here but how do you enable these? Trying to use them on my Motorola Atrix which has a partially working screen but I can't use the Menu hardware button, this would solve the problem!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    INTRODUCING FLOATING SOFT KEYS
    * Requires Root
    promo.png
    Floating Soft Keys is a simple app to avail you soft key functionality even in exanded desktop mode or if you don't want to wear out your hard buttons.

Floating Soft Keys makes use of Mark Wei's brilliant StandOut Library so if you like this app, please go and thank him in his thread if you haven't already.

FSK requires root to emulate input key events.
    FSK is still in its initial phases so it might give some errors or cause some crashes. Please report to me and give logcat if possible. Also tell me your Android version. This will help make the app better.

MAKING THEMES FOR FSK v1.2+
    For FSK v1.2+, custom icon support has been added. To make your own custom icon theme, simply do the following:
    1. Make 4 PNG images for the 4 buttons having square dimensions (default is 130x130)
    2. The PNGs should be named as follows (without the quotes):
    "back.png" (for back key)
    "home.png" (for home key)
    "menu.png" (for menu key)
    "drag.png" (for the dragging button)
    NOTE: Names are case sensitive.
    2. Put all these PNGs in one folder. Give the theme name to the folder (e.g. "Holo Keys" or "Black Keys" or "Alicia Keys")
    3. Put this folder in the Floating Soft Keys folder found in your SD card (it will appear automatically after running the v1.2 app at least once)

Themes thus created can be used in the v1.2 app by selecting "Use custom icon". You will be prompted to select the icon.
    If you would like to share your themes, post em in the thread or PM me. Due credit will be given.

As an example, attached below is a theme called "Bluish tint". You can download it, unzip it and place the "Bluish tint" folder (which is present inside the zip) in your Floating Soft Keys folder on your sdcard. Then you can use it as a theme by selecting "Use Custom Icons" in the app.

USER-CREATED THEMES
    Here I will post links to various themes created by you folks.
    Shadowed White Navigation Keys by churapa
    Grey icons by proctologist
    Theme thread by Gil81

As of version 1.4.0, new icons were made default to suit the Holo theme. But if you liked the old icons better, you can still download em from this thread. The zip file has been attached.

Check the app out on the Play Store or check its code out on GitHub
    That is nice! Except that it is not clearly visible in white background. Maybe giving it a faint shadow will help.

How about these two new options (showing in white bg)? And everybody happy!
    Is it possible in future to have to option to add custom buttons with custom actions? That would be awesome. Thanks
    I am kinda working on it. Adding custom buttons would increase the size of the navbar, and I am sure you would not want to have that. So I am planning to make a separate bar that appears when you long press home, giving you all those custom buttons

Well idea is good... since its in initial state of development lacks many basic feature... the response between touch and action is high.. around 1sec
    Well dre are few suggestion but the main from my side is that the drag button could also act as expand button, i mean click on drag should expand or shrink the navibar...
    Sorry, but as I mentioned on the Play Store page, the input keyevent takes some time to process (that is most likely a su binary issue) and that is why there will always be some delay after pressing the button. The delay is more on some devices than others. I cannot fix that, at least not till I find an alternative method to emulate key events.

lovely app...
    here's my wish list for next releases:

- option to hide cross icon (just make invisible)
    - customizable press and long press options for all softkeys
    - align keys in vertical position, i'd be great to use with one hand having keys on side of screen
    - didn't try to import icons from famous navbar icons thread, i'd like to be able to import from there
    1. I can add. No problem.
    2. Well, long pressing menu to show recents is a standard action and long pressing back to collapse the bar is necessary. Cannot really make that customizable. But I will try.
    3. Vertical position should not be too difficult. Will add.
    4. I have no clue what navbar is. I am a newbie that way. I will check and get back to you.

Anyway to start and stop this app using tasker?
    I have no idea, but will try.

Works great on my Verizon Note 2. Thanks for building it. One small request...add a choice to toggle off the on-going notification. Thanks again.
    That can be done. Wait for the next release :)
    Here's a little theme I made for anyone who wants it :)

9pl5.jpg
    Great app, thanks for creating it!
    I'm posting something I threw in together.
    The images are inside the zip file, unzip it and place the folder accordingly. Enjoy