[XPOSED] [VZW][ATT][SPR] Moto X 4.4+ Native Tether (No APK Modification required)

Search This thread

dymmeh

May 27, 2010
After reading about the Xposed framework I decided to write a module to bypass the validation checks for wifi tethering / mobile hotspot.

This method will allow you to bypass the validation without having to worry about moving around APKs, backing them up, setting permissions, etc. It also will no longer contact the actual servers used to verify if you have permission to use the tether.

This Xposed module works by replacing the list of entitlement apps available in the string array "config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" with an empty set. This means that the entitlement app is not run at all and defaults to the native tether immediately.

Works with VZW, AT&T, Sprint, DE and non-DE devices running 4.4 or above

Installing
  1. Be rooted and have the Xposed framework installed
  2. Search for and download "X Tether" under the download section of the Xposed installer
  3. Activate the module in Xposed.
  4. Reboot.
  5. Tether away!
  6. SPRINT ONLY: Change the line ro.mot.tether_dun_required=1 in your build.prop file to ro.mot.tether_dun_required=0

Link to Xposed repo

Last edited:

Kittiesoncrack

Aug 11, 2012
Chicago
Okay so i tried this on Sprint Moto x, I can connect devices to the hotspot but I have no data connection on them. It isnt a issue on my phone, i can use lte on my phone perfectly.

dymmeh

May 27, 2010
Thanks for doing this! Do you need WP turned off? I never ran motowpnomo. Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

With the way Xposed works you should only need to have WP turned off when you install Xposed itself. The Xposed modules (at least mine) don't modify any system files so there's no need to have WP off when running them.

Last edited:
Reactions: droiddog

dymmeh

May 27, 2010
Okay so i tried this on Sprint Moto x, I can connect devices to the hotspot but I have no data connection on them. It isnt a issue on my phone, i can use lte on my phone perfectly.

The way this module works it only replaces the code that checks to see if you are allowed to tether. The actual hotspot functionality is not touched at all.

Are you on 4.4? Have you ever tried tethering before successfully?

kbluhm

Dec 9, 2010
Works great on Verizon Moto X Developer. Great work!

Same here. Great work OP, I've removed all my tethering work-arounds in framework-res.apk and VzwEntitlementService.apk and restored the original files. This will make preparation for any future OTA updates a whole lot easier.

Reactions: dymmeh

dymmeh

May 27, 2010
Yeah I'm on 4.4, the only way I've gotten tethering work is using the app Android Wifi Tether

I wonder if anyone else on Sprint can chime in if they have the same problem.

The entitlement app just serves as a "yes/no" before the hotspot app runs. I decompiled Sprints entitlement app code and based on what I saw it should be working fine. Maybe Sprint is doing some extra work elsewhere that I don't take into account. I wish I had a Sprint device that I could try debugging this on.

Kittiesoncrack

Aug 11, 2012
Chicago
I wonder if anyone else on Sprint can chime in if they have the same problem.

The entitlement app just serves as a "yes/no" before the hotspot app runs. I decompiled Sprints entitlement app code and based on what I saw it should be working fine. Maybe Sprint is doing some extra work elsewhere that I don't take into account. I wish I had a Sprint device that I could try debugging this on.

I could possibly help you. Maybe we can get someone who also has a Sprint Moto x to confirm it so i know its not just me

charlie-n

Oct 24, 2013
Confirmed working and bad assignment on sprint 4.4 here

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Spoke to soon, connected but no data connection on sprint

dymmeh

May 27, 2010
Confirmed working and bad assignment on sprint 4.4 here

---------- Post added at 03:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 AM ----------

Spoke to soon, connected but no data connection on sprint

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to dig into why its not working on Sprint. Hopefully its something simple that I overlooked

wavygravee

Sep 3, 2010
Tested here and working on VZW DE unlocked and rooted.

Can't hurt to have more than one to confirm working on Verizon Wireless!

dymmeh

May 27, 2010
Thanks for the feedback guys! It looks like support for Sprint is out for now :( sorry

Legacystar

Dec 29, 2009
You should have this added to the xposed installer download list

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading about the Xposed framework I decided to write a module to bypass the validation checks for wifi tethering / mobile hotspot.

This method will allow you to bypass the validation without having to worry about moving around APKs, backing them up, setting permissions, etc. It also will no longer contact the actual servers used to verify if you have permission to use the tether.

This Xposed module works by replacing the list of entitlement apps available in the string array "config_mobile_hotspot_provision_app" with an empty set. This means that the entitlement app is not run at all and defaults to the native tether immediately.

Works with VZW, AT&T, Sprint, DE and non-DE devices running 4.4 or above

Installing
    1. Be rooted and have the Xposed framework installed
    2. Search for and download "X Tether" under the download section of the Xposed installer
    3. Activate the module in Xposed.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Tether away!
    6. SPRINT ONLY: Change the line ro.mot.tether_dun_required=1 in your build.prop file to ro.mot.tether_dun_required=0

Link to Xposed repo
    Just tested it on an AT&T Moto X running 4.4. Worked without any issues. Thanks.
    Thanks for doing this! Do you need WP turned off? I never ran motowpnomo. Thanks again.

With the way Xposed works you should only need to have WP turned off when you install Xposed itself. The Xposed modules (at least mine) don't modify any system files so there's no need to have WP off when running them.

Same here. Great work OP, I've removed all my tethering work-arounds in framework-res.apk and VzwEntitlementService.apk and restored the original files. This will make preparation for any future OTA updates a whole lot easier.