Specs on second sim on Moto G dual-sim version

Search This thread

evildave_666

May 7, 2011
Tokyo
Is the second SIM WCDMA 3G voice capable or is it only GSM as most dual-sim phones out there?

I can't seem to find any information on it, and this is an important piece of data for people living in countries with no 2G GSM network.

xford

Aug 29, 2010
Clarification

In other words, useless for Japan (where all voice calls go over WCDMA and there is no GSM network).

You are right in that it is useless in Japan. However, just to clarify the issue: Both SIM slots are 3g capable, but the phone forces the SIM card that is not used for data to 2g mode. Only one of the SIMs can be used for data at a time, just as you can only send texts or make voice calls through one at a time so it makes sense in any other country...

What is not clear is whether this is a Motorola decision to save battery or imposed by the chip set used or an Android OS issue. Covia Fleaphone has same issue, and provides a shortcut to switch the active SIM (active=3g enabled SIM), so it seems to be not just a Motorola decision...

A

jaspreet997

Jul 15, 2013
I believe it has only one 3g radio in it and used by whatever Sim is being used for data So its a hardware issue

Sent from my XT1033 using Tapatalk

xford

Aug 29, 2010
I believe it has only one 3g radio in it and used by whatever Sim is being used for data So its a hardware issue

Sounds about right... It is a real pity how bad the documentation/specifications info is on dual sim phones. Make it very difficult to pick the right one, several people now claim that the Xperia M2 works with 3g on both SIMs simultaneously, but can't verify this...

At the same time I guess Japan (where I use it) is an unusual case, most places still have 2g, and Japan only recently started selling separate SIMs...

A