Official Galaxy Nexus Car Dock with TRUE 3-pin functionality! (2012-08-10 Update!)

Search This thread

raphenucleus

Aug 1, 2010
Dallas, TX
So does anyone think the dock will ever be back at the play store?

I'm sure it will be, but I have no idea how soon. Could be next week, could be three months from now. The Play Store certainly has the best price, but if you don't mind pay a little extra, you can get it from a third party seller right now. I thought it was worth the extra money to not have to worry about waiting, so I bought one on ebay.

Sinergie

Sep 19, 2010
when i used an htc nexus one i could switch out of and back into dock mode. when i inserted my vzw galaxy nexus 4.0.4 in the car dock it turned on car dock mode, but if i chose to exit car dock mode the only way back (that i was aware of) was to remove and re-insert the phone in the dock. now that i am running a 4.1.1 rom it behaves like the nexus one did--i can pull down notifications and choose to exit dock mode, but it then leaves an active notification that i can use to choose to go back to dock mode. also an important [critical] fact: on 4.0.4 the rom would not allow charging if it was not in car dock mode (the battery icon next to the clock in the notification bar would show charging, but settings->battery would show discharging). however, on 4.1.1, it correctly charges the phone when in the dock regardless of whether its in car dock mode or not.

m.

Seems like Jelly Bean fixed all issues with the car dock mode. If you have folders on your home screen, the icons in the folders no longer get mixed up whenever the car dock mode (in landscape) is activated.

Furthermore I was hoping Google would add the Car Home app by default in Jelly Bean, but that didn't happen. Although manually installing the latest version 2.2.1.4 works perfectly, so why this is marked as incompatible with the GN in the Play Store is beyond me.

Last edited:

HinotoriBR

Apr 2, 2011
São Paulo
I still see some minor bugs, like when you open an application and you have a car home application, when you close that application, instead of going to the car home, it goes to the launcher instead, you have to press home to have car home back...

hp2point0

Oct 23, 2010
Verizon CDMA Version

I still cant find the exact answer I am looking for. Sorry if this has been answered.

I have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus CDMA Version. Running 4.0.4. It is not rooted, unlocked etc. I have all the standard apps on it. No vehicle docking apps installed, using the standard battery.

Is there a version of the Vehicle dock yet that charges and has the audio port I don't have to use any type of tooling/cutting etc to custimize it to fit. I just want to buy one and have it work lol.

If not... the person that said he cut the plastic a little to make it fit, that doesn't seem to be to hard but I would prefer not to. Any come across one yet?

ChrisAshton84

Nov 13, 2008
Saint Paul, MN
The vehicle dock is back in stock on the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Vehicle_Dock?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa_car_dock&hl=en

I just ordered it: $69.09 with tax and two-day shipping (CA). That's 20% of the retail value of the phone, god damn.

Finally! I bought this phone partially because I wanted a matching car dock. Too bad when this is available the portrait dock isn't - I was waiting for this to pick one up to combine shipping.

Antob125

May 23, 2011
I still cant find the exact answer I am looking for. Sorry if this has been answered.

I have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus CDMA Version. Running 4.0.4. It is not rooted, unlocked etc. I have all the standard apps on it. No vehicle docking apps installed, using the standard battery.

Is there a version of the Vehicle dock yet that charges and has the audio port I don't have to use any type of tooling/cutting etc to custimize it to fit. I just want to buy one and have it work lol.

If not... the person that said he cut the plastic a little to make it fit, that doesn't seem to be to hard but I would prefer not to. Any come across one yet?

No our phone, the CDMA Verizon Galaxy Nexus does not have an OFFICIAL Car dock.

This dock is meant for the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

But since CDMA and GSM models are ALMOST identical that's why it works.

Dude it took all of 2 mins for me to carve the volume rocker area to get the phone to sit right. Literally 2 minutes...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

diablonyc2

Jan 18, 2005
New York
GSM Car dock Question: Is it possible to get the calls to feed through the audio of the car and not speaker phone? Overall I really like the dock...it is a little big and I had to reconfigure my set-up a bit but works great.

muyoso

Oct 23, 2007
So I'm gonna guess that my phone with the diztronic case won't fit in the car dock. Has anyone been able to make it work without removing the phone from the case?

Antob125

May 23, 2011
GSM Car dock Question: Is it possible to get the calls to feed through the audio of the car and not speaker phone? Overall I really like the dock...it is a little big and I had to reconfigure my set-up a bit but works great.

No its not possible :(

So I'm gonna guess that my phone with the diztronic case won't fit in the car dock. Has anyone been able to make it work without removing the phone from the case?

Absolutely not. The dock only fits the phone itself. And even just the phone itself is already snug.

hp2point0

Oct 23, 2010
No our phone, the CDMA Verizon Galaxy Nexus does not have an OFFICIAL Car dock.

This dock is meant for the GSM Galaxy Nexus.

But since CDMA and GSM models are ALMOST identical that's why it works.

Dude it took all of 2 mins for me to carve the volume rocker area to get the phone to sit right. Literally 2 minutes...

Ok Thanks for the advice. Sounds easy enough. You bought the one from the Google Play Store correct?

nessnet

Dec 18, 2010

It really is a very minor mod and currently is the only option if you want a GNX dock that charges, etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Talkdj

Jun 5, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio

Knolly

Oct 18, 2010
Has anyone taking the pogo pin dock and made a custom mount for it? Like I love the dock but am not wild about the suction cup mount, I might disassemble it and replace the suction cup arm with a metal bracket that I can attach to my car but keep the wiring.

Antob125

May 23, 2011
Has anyone taking the pogo pin dock and made a custom mount for it? Like I love the dock but am not wild about the suction cup mount, I might disassemble it and replace the suction cup arm with a metal bracket that I can attach to my car but keep the wiring.

Let us know what you do. I was interested in changing the suction cup also just haven't figured out what to do yet.

Blown 89

Aug 10, 2010
I plan on cutting the arm off and fiberglassing/duramixing it in to the a-pillar or radio bezel. Done right and it will look factory. I'm waiting for the heat of summer to subside. Modifying it for a new phone once it's done is easy. Here's my previous work:
Before:
Pre.jpg

After:
Post%20%282%29.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, wife went to work a little early so I scrambled to take these pics. It was still dark and the lighting was pretty bad. That along with the fact that I had to use a Nexus S to take the pics resulted in some bad photos. Keep in mind their are shadows b/c of the lighting and I didn't have time to perfectly snap pictures from 90 degree angles (need a second pair of hands to do this properly I think). So all those caveats aside, here are the pics.. Also, I have one of those skins on the GSM version, I doubt it makes it much thicker, but just thought I'd mention it.

From top to first pogo pin (mm). Shadows/camera angle make these look different, they look equivalent in person (GSM bottom, LTE top... both with extended battery)
    img20120112080420.jpg

From top to last pogo pin (mm). Same situation as the previous image.
    img20120112080453.jpg

Thickness of LTE version at the center pogo pin. I didn't take a GSM measurement b/c I put tiny scratch in the screen of this one with the caliper.. hopefully wife doesn't notice. (This is with extended battery)
    img20120112080550.jpg

Side by side.. extended battery. GSM looks glossy b/c it has a skin on it like I mentioned earlier.
    img20120112080650.jpg

volume side. extended battery on both. LTE top, GSM bottom.
    img20120112080743.jpg

pogo pin side. same arrangement as previous image (LTE top, GSM bottom)
    img20120112080803.jpg

Batteries (from left to right: LTE extended, GSM extended, LTE standard, GSM standard)
    img20120112081126.jpg

Batteries again. TOP Left: LTE extended, BOTTOM Left: LTE Standard, TOP Right: GSM Extended, BOTTOM Right: GSM standard.
    img20120112081243.jpg

Comparison with standard battery installed. TOP: GSM, BOTTOM: LTE
    img20120112081433.jpg

Backplates & batteries. From left to right: LTE extended, LTE standard, GSM extended, GSM standard. GSM backplates are glossy b/c of the skin.
    img20120112081615.jpg
    I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.
    Does anyone know where we can get this dock in the US?

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/genuine-samsung-galaxy-nexus-vehicle-dock-ecs-k1f2begstd-p33499.htm

Apparently, VZ was selling the el cheapo version:

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/12/1...ay-want-to-pass-on-the-car-dock-from-verizon/

no true 3 pin docking functionality built in! It was essentially a $40 piece of plastic.

Here's a video of the dock in action. This has to be the most functional dock in existence. The only thing you'd want more is probably an ext antenna connection but mobiles don't have those! LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2w7TgFmP74I&feature=player_embedded

DOCK SOFTWARE UPDATE 2012-06-06:
    From Efrant: I've attached Google's Car Home and Car Dock applications. Once you install these (both are needed), Car Home will automatically launch once you dock your phone into the car dock.

Coming soon, directly from Google, $54 USD:

https://play.google.com/store/devic...alaxy_nexus_hspa_car_dock&feature=accessories

galaxy_nexus_car_dock_banner_002.png

If everyone clicks on the NOTIFY ME button, Google will get the message that many customers are waiting for this product!
    So if I got this right:

LTE Nexus fits the Car dock
    It charges
    It works with AUX audio
    and the Pins all make contact

only question I have left is, does it work with the extended OEM battery for the LTE version?

I'm waiting for confirmation, I have my mouse ready to click "BUY" lol

Yes the OE extended battery fits.
    1st pic is with the standard battery
    0cb094a2-7c70-588b.jpg

this 2nd pic is with the extended battery and cover
    0cb094a2-7c8e-0926.jpg

I jumped the gun on the pic but it did charge once it finished booting

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XST4dFDi0WY&feature=youtu.be

There we go. I have a good video of my cats playing too if you are bored :)