4.2.2 update

Search This thread

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
Also, I was just reading through that thread and it said if you have SuperSU that it won't unroot. Is that true? Or do I need to use ota rootkeeper? I know that thread may have the answers I'm looking for, but I'm too tired to read through it all. I ask all these questions because I have no computer to reroot and reunlock the bootloader with.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

_deleted_

Jun 14, 2012
Also, I was just reading through that thread and it said if you have SuperSU that it won't unroot. Is that true? Or do I need to use ota rootkeeper? I know that thread may have the answers I'm looking for, but I'm too tired to read through it all. I ask all these questions because I have no computer to reroot and reunlock the bootloader with.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Afaik it won't relock your bootloader.

Sent from my HTC One X

05gsxrk5

Sep 8, 2011
Charleston IL
I flashed back to stock.
Flashed the update
Flashed a SuperSU.zip
Rebooted
Then reinstalled twrp through goo.Im app
When I flashed update I lost root and recovery
And all is good again

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Last edited:

uberNoobZA

Oct 10, 2008
Oxford
Will the 4.2.2 OTA for my Nexus 7 take away root access?

Sent from my Nexus 4

I was on JOP40D (4.2.1) Stock, rooted, with CWM 6.0.2.3. I downloaded this OTA file http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip from the link in the other 4.2.2 thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2144330)

I booted into CWM, and flashed the downloaded ZIP file as normal
When I told CWM to reboot, CWM warned me the update would flash stock Recovery and do I want to STOP this from happening and I said YES.
It then said I had lost root, and do I want to restore root, and I said YES.
It then booted into Android and continued with the upgrade.

I now have 4.2.2 stock installed (JDQ39), and still have root and custom recovery, and an unlocked bootloader.

From what I have read, if you 'sideload' the update using ADB, or do a normal OTA update, you will lose root and custom recovery. However, using the steps above will keep root and recovery for you

Last edited:

Benjoy Ericsson

Feb 18, 2011
where I belong to...
What if I'm using TWRP?

Sent from my Nexus 4

TWRP is same to CMW, but for sure you should install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, backup SU then flash the 4.2.2 update.zip. Finally, open Voodoo and restore the backup SU --> your Root is kept. Just in case you need to verify root will work or not. Go to Play Store, install Root Checker (joeykrim) and check your root permisson.

I updated my N7 to 4.2.2 without removing root by these steps above.

Reactions: Slender Troll

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
TWRP is same to CMW, but for sure you should install Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, backup SU then flash the 4.2.2 update.zip. Finally, open Voodoo and restore the backup SU --> your Root is kept. Just in case you need to verify root will work or not. Go to Play Store, install Root Checker (joeykrim) and check your root permisson.

I updated my N7 to 4.2.2 without removing root by these steps above.

Can I do this without a computer?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Benjoy Ericsson

Feb 18, 2011
where I belong to...
Wi-Fi connect? And where do I put it once I have it?

Sent from my Nexus 4

This is OTA link for N7 Wifi Only.
Connect to wifi, download the 4.2.2 update.zip to your internal storage from this link http://android.clients.google.com/p....signed-nakasi-JDQ39-from-JOP40D.6ece895e.zip (anywhere is ok, be sure to remember the path). Reboot your N7 to recovery mod (TWRP), choose install and browse to where you put your zip in internal storage.

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
So I'm in recovery and at the part where it gives me the option to flash. Is there anything I need to do or back up before I flash the OTA so that I don't lose root?

Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
Success!

arypa4ep.jpg

uzuhuva5.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

dalanik

Mar 25, 2009
Prague
Just downloaded the OTA zip, went to recovery and tried "install" (both checkmarks to check md5 and zip off) and got FAILED! The device booted normally afterwards. I copied file via USB cable in standard media mode... what am I doing wrong? On 4.2.1, stock, rooted, 16gb Wifi only N7.

Slender Troll

Oct 29, 2012
Lebanon
Just downloaded the OTA zip, went to recovery and tried "install" (both checkmarks to check md5 and zip off) and got FAILED! The device booted normally afterwards. I copied file via USB cable in standard media mode... what am I doing wrong? On 4.2.1, stock, rooted, 16gb Wifi only N7.

Try downloading it using Wi-Fi from the link above, and then back everything up. what recovery are you using? I left the zip in the download folder, so I wouldn't lose it.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Top Liked Posts