Regain root from mobile

Search This thread

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
In an attempt to unroot and return to stock for 4.4 OTA I flashed stock firmware and unrooted my device in the process, so far so good.

I reboot my phone after to initiate the OTA but of course I can't download the OTA because my device status is still custom and without root I can't triangle away or do anything.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get root back onto my phone from my phone since I don't have access to a computer where I'm at. I'm basically just screwed and also stuck on MDL baseband with a MK2 build running 4.3 stock so I'm getting no downloads at all. XDA the app itself too 10min to download

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...I knew I should have just waited until I I had access to a pc but I jumped the gun of course. I've been looking around a lot and the only methods of rooting I've found require or use a pc.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

qxps

Jan 13, 2014
In an attempt to unroot and return to stock for 4.4 OTA I flashed stock firmware and unrooted my device in the process, so far so good.

I reboot my phone after to initiate the OTA but of course I can't download the OTA because my device status is still custom and without root I can't triangle away or do anything.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get root back onto my phone from my phone since I don't have access to a computer where I'm at. I'm basically just screwed and also stuck on MDL baseband with a MK2 build running 4.3 stock so I'm getting no downloads at all. XDA the app itself too 10min to download

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...I knew I should have just waited until I I had access to a pc but I jumped the gun of course. I've been looking around a lot and the only methods of rooting I've found require or use a pc.

A stock firmware package makes the phone all stock. MDL baseband on an MK2 build means you didn't flash a stock firmware. Which 'stock' firmware did you flash?

As to root, did this 'stock' firmware also flash recovery? if it didn't you can download the recovery flashable supersu zip from chainfire's website into the phone and do it that way. Otherwise, I don't think there is a way to get root access from the OS itself, unless you find an exploit that grants su access so you can make system writable and push supersu.

Reactions: JORDVN

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
A stock firmware package makes the phone all stock. MDL baseband on an MK2 build means you didn't flash a stock firmware. Which 'stock' firmware did you flash?

As to root, did this 'stock' firmware also flash recovery? if it didn't you can download the recovery flashable supersu zip from chainfire's website into the phone and do it that way. Otherwise, I don't think there is a way to get root access from the OS itself, unless you find an exploit that grants su access so you can make system writable and push supersu.

I'm can't remember where I got this firmware from but, it was from a thread within the general section which stated it was stock so I'm just unsure on that part. I will try to root using your information given. This did return to stock recovery as well but when I try to flash anything through it I get a signature verification failure. I've never had this happen where baseband and build didn't match after returning to a stock firmware. My guess is that I just used something I shouldn't have. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
After downloading the supersu and attempting to flash it through stock recovery, I'm still getting signature verification failure then the device reboots. :confused:

Vigz

Sep 16, 2012
After downloading the supersu and attempting to flash it through stock recovery, I'm still getting signature verification failure then the device reboots. :confused:

Unfortunately, rooting or installing custom recovery needs to be done through a computer. As of this moment, there are no root exploits that can be done via the phone itself. I'm sorry.

qxps

Jan 13, 2014

That's because you need a custom recovery, it's why I asked whether the firmware you flashed replaced recovery or not.
As vigz said, you need a computer to at least flash cf root with odin.

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
That's because you need a custom recovery, it's why I asked whether the firmware you flashed replaced recovery or not.

Okay I've pretty much come to that conclusion after continuously searching with no solid method. I'll just have to deal with the baseband problem for now until I get back home. Wifi toggle doesn't work at all either. Is that a baseband problem, correct?

JORDVN

Sep 28, 2013
Las Vegas
Unfortunately, rooting or installing custom recovery needs to be done through a computer. As of this moment, there are no root exploits that can be done via the phone itself. I'm sorry.

Thanks for the insight, I'll have to make due with what I have for now

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.