ZooGue Review - full yet Slim Case for S3 (new pics Jan30)

Search This thread

1slow4G

Nov 19, 2012
South Tex
What i do to aling is squeeze the sides of the front lip towards each other. U can feel it move, after that, its aligned and stays in place

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using neighbors wifi :p

ticojpunk

Aug 29, 2011
New City, NY
Just got the case today. Fits nice and snug. Has a good grip/texture.

Only complaint is that the cutouts aren't that good. The USB port is not centered in the cutout. May become a problem when plugging in a bulkier USB cable. Also the microphone cutouts on the top and bottom aren't that good. Hopefully that area on the underside is beveled enough so that sound can still go in.

Not very encouraging. I have four on the way that might end up on ebay at a loss. Lol.

Sent from my Frosty Jelly Beaned SGH-T999 via Tapatalk 2

kl323

May 8, 2011
Not very encouraging. I have four on the way that might end up on ebay at a loss. Lol.

Sent from my Frosty Jelly Beaned SGH-T999 via Tapatalk 2

Don't be discouraged. I followed the advice posted after mine. And it is perfectly fine!

Your best bet to keep it aligned is to put in the USB end of your phone.. align it, and fit the rest of the case in.But otherwise, no complaints!!!

This is an excellent case for $5. Doesn't feel cheap one bit. So much cheaper than the knockoffs that cost much more in Chinatown or eBay.

pappcam

Jan 25, 2012
The cutouts are perfectly aligned on both my cases. When you first put the case on they might look out of alignment but all you need to do is sort of squeeze and shift the case while it's on the phone and they'll end up perfect.

It's the best case I've seen for these phones for my purposes.

ticojpunk

Aug 29, 2011
New City, NY
Got my 4 cases yesterday. Blue, red, green, black. The cutouts are not 100%, but they are close. My black and blue happen to be a little better than the green and red. But I think that's just the little inconsistencies that happen in manufacturing.

I'm not sure I like the feel or not. I'm a big fan of glossy tpu, because it really sticks to the palm and fingers. With glossy tpu, it's very helpful for one handed use, because as you shift your fingers around the case itself is sticking to your hand a little bit, so it never slides.

These cases are a matte finish. Much better for fingerprints, but definitely more slippery than glossy tpu.

They are very comfortable though. I'm typing this out right now with the blue case on and it's a pleasure in the hand. It's just a question of getting used to the matte finish, especially when doing finger gymnastics to deal with the 4.8" screen one handed.

Sent from my SGH-T999 via Tapatalk 2 running Wicked w/ Xone DX

1slow4G

Nov 19, 2012
South Tex
Got my 4 cases yesterday. Blue, red, green, black. The cutouts are not 100%, but they are close. My black and blue happen to be a little better than the green and red. But I think that's just the little inconsistencies that happen in manufacturing.

I'm not sure I like the feel or not. I'm a big fan of glossy tpu, because it really sticks to the palm and fingers. With glossy tpu, it's very helpful for one handed use, because as you shift your fingers around the case itself is sticking to your hand a little bit, so it never slides.

These cases are a matte finish. Much better for fingerprints, but definitely more slippery than glossy tpu.

They are very comfortable though. I'm typing this out right now with the blue case on and it's a pleasure in the hand. It's just a question of getting used to the matte finish, especially when doing finger gymnastics to deal with the 4.8" screen one handed.

I was in the same situation at first, but got use to it real quick. Got my green one but the colors ehhh.. Again not what i expected lol. Ill just stick to my favorite one, the black one

ticojpunk

Aug 29, 2011
New City, NY
I was in the same situation at first, but got use to it real quick. Got my green one but the colors ehhh.. Again not what i expected lol. Ill just stick to my favorite one, the black one

I'm also feeling pretty ehhh about the colors. But it's not fair in a way because I usually prefer black anyway. The sale was so cheap though, I figured what the heck and got the other colors. I think the Red and Green one are hitting eBay. I sort of like the Blue, very surfy/summery, so we'll see how I feel about that when the warmer months hit. At the end of the day though, I'm a black case sort of person. Boring yes, but I like my attention to stay on the GS3's screen anyway.

1slow4G

Nov 19, 2012
South Tex
I'm also feeling pretty ehhh about the colors. But it's not fair in a way because I usually prefer black anyway. The sale was so cheap though, I figured what the heck and got the other colors. I think the Red and Green one are hitting eBay. I sort of like the Blue, very surfy/summery, so we'll see how I feel about that when the warmer months hit. At the end of the day though, I'm a black case sort of person. Boring yes, but I like my attention to stay on the GS3's screen anyway.

Exactly. Great minds think alike lol

themadproducer

Aug 28, 2009

Exactly. Great minds think alike lol

Cutouts...when I first got my ZooGue, I thought the mic cutouts were terribly off spec...unacceptable for the way they are being manufactured. But I soon realized, that it was 90% improved by nudging the case over in it's position as mentioned in previous posts. Surprisingly, once nudged...it tends to stay in place. (my UAG fits perfect and is not able to move at all once mounted. Killer craftsmanship...totally different build but at 6x the price)

If I was ZooGue, I would make the mic and headphone holes larger. I ordered a 2nd case....like you guys said...because of the price and I could swear the mic holes are a bit larger. Could be placebo. Also, I chose boring black for the same reason...I want to focus on the screen and let everything else disappear. (just like tv lcds and pc lcds)

Matte finish....if you play a Fender Strat guitar....with the finished stripped to bare matte wood finish, the area where your arm leans on all the time...will eventually look semi polished from the residual oils of your skin and also your arm behaves like an emery cloth. There should be a way to get this finish at least on the back of the case thus giving it more grit.

kl323

May 8, 2011
Those that don't like the color selection, I highly recommend Cruzerlite. I used their TPU case while I had my Galaxy Nexus. It isn't matte and much smoother. Cut out and fit was perfect for that device. It also has the grooves on the side for extra grip.

BLfan

Feb 21, 2009
London
Just received my black ZooGue case, very nice. Although gutted that I missed out on the 'freeshipping' code.

ticojpunk

Aug 29, 2011
New City, NY
I'm really not liking the ZooGue cases, but I can see why other people do.

Definitely gonna put them on eBay to try to get back at least a few dollars. $2 shipping or $3 with tracking makes selling these pretty tough.

1slow4G

Nov 19, 2012
South Tex
I'm really not liking the ZooGue cases, but I can see why other people do.

Definitely gonna put them on eBay to try to get back at least a few dollars. $2 shipping or $3 with tracking makes selling these pretty tough.

What colors u have

OP says neither the uag nor this case protects against faceplants, which have been my problem of late (shattered glass, though it's not actually too noticeable depending on the colors and angles). I plan on replacing my phone's glass but am not sure what case would do the job for that...given the discount on this one today I wish I could snag it but it doesn't seem like it'll do the job.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Galaxy_Social_Case_Colors__25605.1352110640.1280.1280.jpg

ZooGue S3 Case Review

Introduction
    I have owned this case for several months, and have only sparingly used it. But recently, I have fallen in love with a few of it's very specific attributes and I cannot ignore the ZooGue any longer. Being passionate about my smart phone accessories, and being a real stickler for good design and maximum efficiency, this cheap (if not free) case really won me over. Therefor you may find this review slightly biased. ;)

Dimensions
    13.8mm Length 5.5 inches
    7.4mm Width 2+15/16 inches
    11mm Thick 7/16 inch

Weight
    Not sure...very light though. Probably as light as it gets for this type of full case.

(Following 3 photos slightly enhanced to show closer to true colour which is BLACK or CHARCOAL GRAY, the darkest of the set in the photo above.)

Zoogoo_Front.jpg

ZooGue vs the competition
    I recently bought a UAG case (the Blue one, AERO) and I think the workmanship is outstanding, to the eye of the beholder...it's beautiful looking, and it really has a super solid precision fit which will surely offer edge to edge protection. (not direct face plants on jagged rocks) BUT....I am contemplating staying with the ridiculously cheaper Zoogue (not really in the same class) for a number of reasons. It's a give and take, but I am trying to pick my battles so to speak, and decide what is at the TOP of my LIST for a case to protect my beloved S3.

My top 3 wants: in a case

1] SLIM: as possible while offering good fall protection.
    Some cases fall off the phone when they drop but I don't think this one will. Some, like UAG/Outerbox etc., offer shock protection at the expense of moderate to high bulk. Also, very important to me, is one handed operation.

2] GRIP: easy to hold non slippery yet easy to pull out of pocket.
    It seems that so many cases are either slippery or sticky, both of which can increase the rate of dropping your S3!

3] Esthetics: I prefer it to compliment the style quality of the S3 itself or actually improve upon it.

Zoogoo_Side.jpg

The Zoogue Advantages
    - Price: got it for free + shipping = $7cad (I've seen 99cents advertised too) But that's not why I bought it. I bought it because I had an inkling that it was good simple case design.
    - Slim: as thin as should be for the protection offered. As low pro as it gets really.
    - GRIP: ***ribbed edges*** this is one of the best feeling side grips ever. So simple. Rear side is neither sticky nor slippery. In stiffness, the material feels like somewhere between a rigid soft plastic and stiffer than TPU. It hugs like much firmer than any silicon case I've seen, but still flexible if you pull on the edges with your finger. It's a strange composition.
    - Contouring: curved edges, forming to the curves of the S3 and allowing maximum secured one handed reach. Also there is a low profile semi rigid lip that hugs around to the front edges of the display, allowing you to place the S3 face down without damaging the screen. (that obviously also keeps the S3 from popping out)
    - Menu Button: the lip of the case near the menu button is slightly beveled out to allow your finger more room. Subtle Genius!!
    - Colour: many to choose from. I have the Black one on a BLUE S3.
    - Logo: decent logo on the back in beveled gloss black (not cheesy looking)
    - Buttons: Stiffer covered power and volume buttons which I prefer. I mostly power my S3 on with the MENU button and power off with a gesture. Still, they are not stuck or broken...just more rigid.
    - Docks: uniform edge dimension ensures one handed sliding compatibility with charging docks like CraigsDocks. Also, this case should fit most desk docks that are designed to hold S3 with slim cases.
    - Lint and Finger Prints: so far not bad at all. Hardly any lint whatsoever...and definitely no finger prints. I wonder if the Zoogue will get a bit less powdery feeling over time. (my TV remote was like that and went smoother, nicer over time)
    UPDATE: that powdery almost SANDY feeling is starting to dissipate nicely just a few days later.
    - Weight: not much at all.
    - Fire Proof: really? no. Just seeing if you are paying attention. :D

Zoogoo_Back.jpg

If I could snap my fingers
    ...and make the Zoogue better for my liking, I would:
    - Sticky Back: add a pattern to the back of the case to allow more grip when laying flat on a table. It's not bad, but perhaps a strategic smoothened out strip or logo would help there. (the UAG has feet for this) I plan on testing it with a strip of Egrips that I ordered from the internet. Stay tuned.
    - Colour: it's a matte black, and the deepness of the black is not near as rich as my Nillken slim minimalistic case.
    - Holes: the cutouts for all the holes are not bad, but definitely not nearly as precise as the UAG. There are workarounds for this if need be.
    - Shield: I don't use a screen protector, but from what I hear, it may be a hit or miss whether it will work in harmony with this case. Customizing the shield usually works too.

Dream Case
    I would love to see a case like this that was part of a hybrid design.
    So lets say I was going fishing, I would slip on an outer hard shell shell specifically made for this slim softer shell case and have perhaps water resistant properties.

Conclusion
    It's a cheapo Charlie case guys. Nothing fancy. But sometimes that's what hits the mark better than complicated designs. There are many simple cases out there that probably share similar dimensions and thickness etc., but many are shiny lint, dirt and finger print magnets. The simplistic yet strategic design of the Zoogue may just satisfy my need for a non bulky, light weight, protective, easy to hold and use, decent looking case for my S3. My reasons for liking it may be different than your reasons for liking a case.

All in all, I give this would be 5/10 case...a more deserving 8.5/10. It works for me. So now the moment of truth. Will I be able to keep this case on for 30days without feeling the need to go back to my UAG? Stay tuned...

UPDATE Feb 4 2013:
    I ordered another one tonight. The website says $9.99 but I inserted a free shipping coupon and a 20% off coupon and it was $7.99cad total. That's only about a dollar more than I paid for the first one months ago. I couldn't resist. Here is the coupon page. (I used a hot solder iron to melt a bigger headphone jack area since I have several headphones that have fat plugs. I wanna try to do a better job with the next case. Also, I ever so slightly increased the mic holes. I also want to try to put a dab of nail polish or paint on the buttons for feel. (the braille effect) And Lastly, when my Egrips come in, I am going to try putting a thin strip on the back.
    Nice! Post pics if u can when u get it. Want to see the gray actual color.

Here's a pic of the grey on a Pebble Blue S3. Pic was taken in a bright sun-filled room. In regular light, the grey cover is a bit darker than it appears in the pic. In my opinion, the grey has a slight tinge of blue in it, so it complements the Pebble Blue very well (but will also look nice on a white handset as well).
    does this case offer protection for drop impacts? on their site they say:5 foot drop screen protection, but it is for real? anybody drop the phone with this case? :D i have one now, but i want to buy a UAG case if this cant protect the screen from an accidental drop.

I've dropped it 3-4 times, always on concrete, asphalt, tile, etc. One drop was me riding my bike. Phone was in my shirt pocket. I did a bunny-hop on the bike and it flew out of my pocket. I was sure it was wrecked, but not a single scratch. I've been very surprised at how much this slim case protects the phone.

I think one major asset of this TPU is that it's slightly softer than a lot of other TPU cases. It's not as stiff, therefore it absorbs more of the shock. Stiffer TPU transfers more of the impact on to the phone than the softer TPU does. Also the case has a good amount of lip around the screen to protect it in a face-down fall.

Keep in mind though that every drop is different, and a different angle, or debris on the sidewalk, or any number of things could have changed the results of the drop. But overall, the drops I've had, I know for a fact if I had no case my screen would have been shattered and the body most likely cracked in one way or another.
    Hi boy,
    New Code for Samsung Galaxy S3!! :D

http://www.zoogue.com/galaxy-s3-social-case/

I have buy a black case for my samsung galaxy white!
    I have to say that this case is a very good fit to the orginal 3000 mah extended Samsung battery.
    It fit almost perfectly: youtube.com/watch?v=qLWXZ0oqzxQ .

The only small problem was that the cover would stop the usb cable from getting close enough to the case, so you had to work a little to connect it. And the bottom mic was barly visible. So I trimmed of a tiny bit around the holes, and now it fits perfectly. Worked with the Samsung dock to. Love this case!