Have anyone experienced issues after updating to 4.3?

Search This thread

alhadee12

Sep 3, 2013
I am looking to switch to the HTC One from the S4, but I've seen in various spots online that there are currently various issues after updating. Can anyone help me with this process because I don't want to switch and encounter problems. Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
I am looking to switch to the HTC One from the S4, but I've seen in various spots online that there are currently various issues after updating. Can anyone help me with this process because I don't want to switch and encounter problems. Thanks.

Such as? I switched from the S4 a couple months ago and have experienced ZERO issues. On the other hand, I used to get random reboots/lag/unresponsiveness all the time on the S4 with no explanation. The HTC One is incredibly stable.

alhadee12

Sep 3, 2013
Such as? I switched from the S4 a couple months ago and have experienced ZERO issues. On the other hand, I used to get random reboots/lag/unresponsiveness all the time on the S4 with no explanation. The HTC One is incredibly stable.

The issued that I read were not get 4G LTE, dropping to 1X, and battery life reduction have been some of the issues I've read about.

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
The issued that I read were not get 4G LTE, dropping to 1X, and battery life reduction have been some of the issues I've read about.

I can't comment on other people's experience, but I get 4G everywhere I used to on my S4 and battery life is actually better overall on this phone. I am extremely happy I switched.

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
Ok, thanks. What do you feel makes the One better than the S4?

For me mainly it was the ability to unlock the bootloader and be able to flash roms again, or pretty much do whatever I want. As long as you don't update the phone to the latest OTA without gaining S-off you will be able to as well.

Other things I liked over the S4 include:

-Metal build quality feels amazing. This thing actually feels premium, unlike the S4. I also don't feel like I'm going to break it if I'm using it outside of a case.

-Sense is way smoother than Touchwiz. Sense out of the box with all bloat is still smoother than the S4 with all bloat removed (on Touchwiz). I really like the minimalist style and smoothness of Sense.

-The IR blaster is WAY stronger than the S4's so it feels a lot better to use day to day.

-Screen brightness is great, and colors are more accurate. I thought I preferred AMOLED colors but turns out I'm liking the more realistic tones of this display. Your results may vary.

-Speakers are incredible. It makes any media consumption on the device automatically better just because you can hear everything clearly and loudly. Call quality is great too. I have my alarm clock on half volume and it's still louder than the S4 on max.

Okay now it sounds like I hate the S4, which isn't true, so here's some things I DON'T like about the HTC One:

-Camera is pretty good, but the S4 is just a beast. If I could switch the camera on this to the S4 camera, I would.

-Button placement. I kinda get what they were going for, but the ergonomics of it are awkward and take some getting used to, especially the power button. I miss having a menu button on the bottom as well.

-No removable battery or storage. I barely ever needed a removable battery, but having limited storage really blows no matter what device you're on. I haven't filled it up yet, but I'm much more careful about how much I'm using than I was on the S4.

-It's not available in black. This isn't really HTC's fault but still it's worth mentioning. This phone looks incredible in black and it's not possible to get on Verizon. Very annoying.

woznet

Jan 23, 2011
DC
I miss having a menu button on the bottom as well.

There is an option in Settings > Display, Gestures and Buttons to change the function of long pressing the home button to work as a menu button. I got used to using the menu button on my HTC Incredible, same with the micro sd card, removable battery that the HTC One just doesn't have. However thanks to this setting that is no longer one of my few complaints about the HTC One.

I apologize for not being able to give more specific instructions on where to find the setting, in ViperOne the setting has been moved from Settings to Viper Tweaks, along with having a customized settings menu.

Last edited:

alhadee12

Sep 3, 2013
Is that on a rooted device? I have no idea about rooting and the benefits of it.

woznet

Jan 23, 2011
DC
Is that on a rooted device? I have no idea about rooting and the benefits of it.

That is on stock, and the section in Settings is called "Display, Gestures and Buttons". In that menu the second section down titled "Buttons" click the first option under "Buttons" and you will get 2 choices, you want the one that says hold for menu.

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
There is an option in Settings > Display, Gestures and Buttons to change the function of long pressing the home button to work as a menu button. I got used to using the menu button on my HTC Incredible, same with the micro sd card, removable battery that the HTC One just doesn't have. However thanks to this setting that is no longer one of my few complaints about the HTC One.

I apologize for not being able to give more specific instructions on where to find the setting, in ViperOne the setting has been moved from Settings to Viper Tweaks, along with having a customized settings menu.

The lack of a menu key is honestly one of the smallest issues I have with the phone, and I'd rather have it stay as a dedicated Google search shortcut instead as there's been times when I need to bring it up immediately. Besides, even if you use the home key as the menu you still need to reach up to use the options in most cases, unlike the Galaxy phones which keep the menu selections at the bottom of the screen.

Since I'm on Bonestock right now the power button isn't really a huge issue anymore either, as it has volume keys to wake function so you don't always need to reach for the power button up top.

donatelli

Dec 4, 2010
Buffalo
The only issue I've had is the screen will turn off, usually when on the phone, and it will take a second or two to respond and come back. Other than that, the One has been stellar all around. Build quality is definite thing to note, and Sense is quite nice compared to Touchwiz.

Crawshayi

May 7, 2012
The only issue I've had is the screen will turn off, usually when on the phone, and it will take a second or two to respond and come back. Other than that, the One has been stellar all around. Build quality is definite thing to note, and Sense is quite nice compared to Touchwiz.

Sounds like you just tripped the proximity sensor by accident, it will turn the screen off during calls when it thinks it's next to your face

redhotiron2004

Nov 17, 2011
meerut
Apart from your increased smoothness and responsiveness the problem that I had was a software problem. Office suite pro. My excel documents just started to have a different format. And it was working fine on 4.2. It was however solved by installing the very latest version of suite pro.

This might be the result of some basic changes at the base of JB 4.3..

This happened in both xperia ZR AND samsung S3.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk 2