[Q] Is the dev community for this device very small?

Search This thread

zewone

Jun 21, 2010
I just got a Developers Edition Moto X and I love the device, but coming from the HTC One, it has come as a shock to me how different each forum is.

I'm very surprised we haven't got a stock ROM for the 4.4.2 update that is flashable with TWRP/CWM.

Is it because of the locked bootloaders? Did the device not sell well?

Konno_Yuuki

Jan 13, 2014
«ALO»
From what I've read here is that most people are happy with the stock ROM with root. As the ROM is so close to Vanilla Android, there is not a lot of development in ROMs for this phone. Also most want to keep Active Display and/or the Touchless Controls. I just got an OTA for 4.2.2 on my retail unlocked Moto X (also referred to as the T-Mobile version).

As far as the boot loader goes, to my knowledge only the Verizon retail and AT&T retail Moto X's are locked. All the other models can be unlocked by requesting the unlock code from Motorola. And I think the phone sold well. It definitely could have used a lot more marketing help to compete with the larger manufacturers.

YankInDaSouth

Oct 30, 2010
Sharpsburg, GA
I just got a Developers Edition Moto X and I love the device, but coming from the HTC One, it has come as a shock to me how different each forum is.

I'm very surprised we haven't got a stock ROM for the 4.4.2 update that is flashable with TWRP/CWM.

I find that stock rooted with Xposed and the Gravity Box module are all I need ... I too got the dev edition as well, if for nothing else rooting after OTAs we be less of a hassle

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

flashallthetime

May 27, 2012
Stouffville
Well we do have a stock flashable 4.4.2 ROM there's actually 2 one for the 1052 and kangakat ,both are for the gsm version and I do believe they will also work on the CDMA variant If you swap out the build prop, we also have custom Roms, slimkat, cm11, gummy.pacman, Liquid smooth and beanstalk

Sent on my Gummy running Lenoto X

DogzOfWar

Feb 17, 2009
From what I've read here is that most people are happy with the stock ROM with root. As the ROM is so close to Vanilla Android, there is not a lot of development in ROMs for this phone. Also most want to keep Active Display and/or the Touchless Controls. I just got an OTA for 4.2.2 on my retail unlocked Moto X (also referred to as the T-Mobile version).

I completely agree with this. ROMs like CyanogenMod or AOKP aren't likely to support Active Displays, or "Okay Google Now" voice commands, or flicking the wrist to unlock the camera.

Also, I think the fact that there's a big split between the Dev Editions and Moto-Maker hurts things more. A lot of people of Moto-Maker, and they're very limited on what they can do with their phones compared to Dev Edition. Then you add in the fact that there are GSM/Verizon/Sprint versions all mixed AND the phone hasn't sold well, and things are very limited.

mrvirginia

Jun 12, 2010
Charlotte, NC

not to worry. even though a lot are pleased with stock out of the box, there will be ROMs. we can still tweak, improve, and slim it down some. i officially ordered mine yesterday and it is the DE/T-Mob variant XT1053.
just like others have said, the device hasn't been advertised as much as it should be, esp with the deals that keep going on with it. if it would stay at $300 for 16gb/$350 for 32gb, they would sell like hot cakes.

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

I completely agree with this. ROMs like CyanogenMod or AOKP aren't likely to support Active Displays, or "Okay Google Now" voice commands, or flicking the wrist to unlock the camera.

Also, I think the fact that there's a big split between the Dev Editions and Moto-Maker hurts things more. A lot of people of Moto-Maker, and they're very limited on what they can do with their phones compared to Dev Edition. Then you add in the fact that there are GSM/Verizon/Sprint versions all mixed AND the phone hasn't sold well, and things are very limited.

the GSM unlocked on Moto-Maker is the exact same as the Dev Edition. i think this is confusing a lot of people.