[Q] Need help rooting, unlocking BL and flashing - new R HD owner!

Search This thread

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Hello, chaps! So, I've just got a XT925 and, basically, what I want is to get to CM11. I'm used to CM features and I'm sure this little beast runs even better on KK than it does on stock JB :)

I was looking for guides and stickies to read through, but there isn't much, really... Why is that? :rolleyes: I need help rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing recovery and the ROM itself, but I'm far from a complete noob and the guides are enough for me, but I can't find them :( Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I've got a couple questions about CM11 :) I'm planning to run the 3.0 kernel CM11 version until KK OTA shows up and I'll see where to go from there. How good is the CM11 on RAZR HD? Is there a list of known bugs? And does the HDMI port work? I find it to be a cool feature, although I don't use it often... Would be nice if it works on CM11, too. And the camera, how's it on CM11? I love the 60fps video recordings and hope that photo quality is at least the same, because it really isn't too great on stock JB :/ Using 3rd party camera apps helps to a degree...

Any help, info and answers would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks in advance!

Cheers :)

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Hello, chaps! So, I've just got a XT925 and, basically, what I want is to get to CM11. I'm used to CM features and I'm sure this little beast runs even better on KK than it does on stock JB :)

I was looking for guides and stickies to read through, but there isn't much, really... Why is that? :rolleyes: I need help rooting, unlocking the bootloader, flashing recovery and the ROM itself, but I'm far from a complete noob and the guides are enough for me, but I can't find them :( Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Also, I've got a couple questions about CM11 :) I'm planning to run the 3.0 kernel CM11 version until KK OTA shows up and I'll see where to go from there. How good is the CM11 on RAZR HD? Is there a list of known bugs? And does the HDMI port work? I find it to be a cool feature, although I don't use it often... Would be nice if it works on CM11, too. And the camera, how's it on CM11? I love the 60fps video recordings and hope that photo quality is at least the same, because it really isn't too great on stock JB :/ Using 3rd party camera apps helps to a degree...

have a look at this post.

Reactions: niksy+

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012

Completely missed it... A great post, love it! Question about bootloader unlocking, though - there's the motocalypse way and there's the official way? Or is the official method not available anymore? Any reason why one is better than the other?

And the questions about CM11 remain ::)

bweN diorD

Jun 12, 2011
Completely missed it... A great post, love it! Question about bootloader unlocking, though - there's the motocalypse way and there's the official way? Or is the official method not available anymore? Any reason why one is better than the other?

The official BL unlock is still available as far as I know, but its not available for all phones. You basically have to try it to know if it will work.
I think the official way is reversible, it has always been said motopocalypse is not. Those facts may be wrong though. There was discussion about it in one of the threads but I don't recall exactly what was stated. If you don't care about ever locking it back, it wouldn't be relevant then.

About cm, I still have my rmhd but haven't used it other than for testing since last year. So I can't provide any current help on that, sorry.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

iBolski

Just go to the Motorola web site and look for the unlocking program and attempt it there. Here is the link: https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/unlock-your-device-b

You'll have to either sign in with your Google+ ID or register an account with Motorola. It's free and then you can attempt to unlock your phone.

The XT925's are always unlockable since they are not in the US. It's Verizon that won't allow it and the XT926s are US phones.

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Okay, guys, I've ran into some problems :/

Current status: bootloader loads fine, CWM (6.0.4.4, touch version) loads fine, but the system wouldn't boot after making a backup. I've tried flashing CM11 (cm-11-20140710-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960-epinter.zip which is supposedly with the 3.0 kernel) and it still will not boot. (I've wiped /system /data and /cache before flashing) All it does is sit at the "Warning bootloader unlocked" screen and it doesn't even become warm...

What I've done: basically, followed all the steps from the thread @bweN diorD posted. Rooted with MotoChopper, unlocked bl with MotoPocalypse and flashed CWM via adb. That was all fine. Then I noticed that CWM keeps disappearing, so I said yes when it asked me if I want it to remove that script from the stock ROM . It also asked "Fix root?" at the same time to which I said yes... Since then the system will not boot. Does anyone know what's gone wrong and what can I do to fix it? Is RSD the only way now?
@bweN diorD @iBolski and everybody else... pretty please :/

*EDIT* Got my stock firmware and flashed it via RSD-lite. Had to remove that check in the xml, but that was it, it has come back to life :)

Now what puzzles me... Why did the system die after saying yes to "remove the recovery remover script" and "fix root"? And why was CM11 dead on boot, too? Any ideas? :/

*EDIT #2* Nevermind, I'm on CM11 now :) Rooted again, the bl was still unlocked, installed latest PhilZ recovery and flashed CM11 straight up without even booting stock ROM after installing recovery. All is well! CM11 is so smooth on the R HD that I came a little bit. I loved my petite DEFY+ but this is freaking awesome!

Last edited:
Reactions: iBolski

niksy+

Jan 16, 2012
Drivers issue

Guys, I've now got a freaking drivers issue I cannot resolve... Need assistance :rolleyes:

I am currently on CM11, on the jbbl. Last time I flashed an sbf was at the time of my previous post in this thread, so 5 months ago. Since then, I have changed my system drive (to an SSD, yay!) and lost the drivers set-up. Back then I was on Win7 x64, now I'm on Win8.1 x64.

At the moment, I cannot get ADB to work (it lists my device, but says it's offline) and cannot get RSD Lite (it's v6.1.6) to detect the phone when in fastboot. I'm attaching a screenshot of device manager's current status. The mot composite adb interface driver is fine, but the two in other devices remain question marks.

Motorola Device Manager (2.4.5) just looks for updates for my device and then quits after finding none. No matter if the phone is connected or not. Not sure if it's incompatible with win8.1 or just normal behaviour since my phone's not on the stock rom.

Does anyone know the right steps for setting up ADB and Fastboot drivers on win8.1 for our device? MTP works fine, no problems there.

*EDIT* Tried using [TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers - 15 seconds ADB Installer and ADB connects now, but RSD lite still doesn't detect the phone in fastboot. The device manager list looks the same... I hate driver issues >_< And just to be clear, RSD lite does not show anything while the phone is connect as MTP with debugging enabled, too.

*EDIT 2* All fine now. Just uninstalled everything and started from scratch. Drivers that come with Moto Manager are the only requirement.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

have a look at this post.
    Okay, guys, I've ran into some problems :/

Current status: bootloader loads fine, CWM (6.0.4.4, touch version) loads fine, but the system wouldn't boot after making a backup. I've tried flashing CM11 (cm-11-20140710-NIGHTLY-moto_msm8960-epinter.zip which is supposedly with the 3.0 kernel) and it still will not boot. (I've wiped /system /data and /cache before flashing) All it does is sit at the "Warning bootloader unlocked" screen and it doesn't even become warm...

What I've done: basically, followed all the steps from the thread @bweN diorD posted. Rooted with MotoChopper, unlocked bl with MotoPocalypse and flashed CWM via adb. That was all fine. Then I noticed that CWM keeps disappearing, so I said yes when it asked me if I want it to remove that script from the stock ROM . It also asked "Fix root?" at the same time to which I said yes... Since then the system will not boot. Does anyone know what's gone wrong and what can I do to fix it? Is RSD the only way now?
    @bweN diorD @iBolski and everybody else... pretty please :/

*EDIT* Got my stock firmware and flashed it via RSD-lite. Had to remove that check in the xml, but that was it, it has come back to life :)

Now what puzzles me... Why did the system die after saying yes to "remove the recovery remover script" and "fix root"? And why was CM11 dead on boot, too? Any ideas? :/

*EDIT #2* Nevermind, I'm on CM11 now :) Rooted again, the bl was still unlocked, installed latest PhilZ recovery and flashed CM11 straight up without even booting stock ROM after installing recovery. All is well! CM11 is so smooth on the R HD that I came a little bit. I loved my petite DEFY+ but this is freaking awesome!
    glad you got it worked out :)