[Q] Cannot boot into a custom recovery

Search This thread

yotyoter

Aug 25, 2014
So, this is my first attempt at rooting a device and so far it's gone pretty well despite several hiccups along the way. My current problem is the inability to boot into a custom recovery. I'm running the stock 4.4.2 ROM, have root access per towelroot, have SU installed and updated from SuperSU, and have unlocked the boot loader via the motopocalypse exploit in it's .apk format. Booting into fastboot, I am able to verify I have unlocked the boot loader (Status Code 3.) Now, I have several custom recovery files downloaded and have attempted, including ClockWork Mod offical touch and non, and unofficial versions of TeamWin Recovery Project. All four of these yield the same results, namely, I cannot access them.

The steps I preform are:
(1. Turn the device off
(2. Boot into AP fastboot by holding down the volume + and - buttons, turning on the device, and selecting AP Fastboot as prompted
(3. Run the command "fastboot flash recovery <filename>.img"
(4. Have the following returned:
> sending 'recovery' (8228 KB)...
> OKAY [ 0.640s]
> writing 'recovery'...
> OKAY [ 2.180s]
> finished. total time: 2.820s
(5. Run the command "fastboot boot <filename.img>"
(6. Have the following returned:
> downloading 'boot.img'...
> OKAY [ 0.640s]
> booting...
> Command restricted
> FAILED (remote failure)
> finished. total time: 0.730s
(7. Run the command: "fastboot continue" to regain access to my phone

Also, when I boot into the boot selector and select the recovery option, it will show the "Warning, your warranty is void" prompt, flicker, then show the prompt again, which I presumed to be the phone flashing back the stock recovery, which I hadn't had previous success accessing fully either, and then continue to boot normally. Because of that, I used RootBrowser on my device and proceeded to move the "recovery-from-boot.p" file from it's /system home to /storage/emulated/0/Download in the case that I needed it again in the future.

Moving said ".p" file yielded no different result in the aforementioned fastboot commands. However, when I boot into recovery on the device itself via the boot selector, it will hang (let it run for five minutes at one point) at the "Warranty Void" screen, then restart into AP Fastboot after holding the power button, at which point I am unable to turn on the device and need to run the "fastboot continue" command to be able to access my device again. I will also need to run said command every time I want to restart my phone.

Copying said ".p" file back caused the device to again hang at the "Warning: Bootloader Unlocked" screen before I held down the power button which cause it to run AP Fastboot, at which point I could run the "fastboot continue" command and access my phone again.

Suffice to say I'm in a bit of a pickle and am a little lost as to how to get myself out of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- J

yotyoter

Aug 25, 2014

I used the TWRP2710-RAZR_M-KITKAT.img and used the Fastboot command to flash it. My phone still isn't liking fastboot commands except for a few, but rebooting into recovery from the boot selector menu now works like a charm. Thank you!

- J

yotyoter

Aug 25, 2014
So, now I have the TeamWin Recovery Project functioning, however now I'm unable to flash any ROM. I've wiped the whole device using the advanced wipe feature, attempted to flash an official version of Cyanogen mod (namely 10.2-something,) and an official version of PacMan Rom. Both give me a failed error message whenever I try to flash them. I've just downloaded a fresh nightly from http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2735565 from 25.08.2014 and I'm going to see if that does the trick. If that doesn't work, much as I'm anticipating, do you have any suggestions? (Also, would I be better off starting a new thread as this is pretty much a secondary issue?)

- J

yotyoter

Aug 25, 2014
Never mind! I was actually able to have a friend show me how to properly wipe a device before flashing a custom ROM and now it's functioning properly. Thank you again for your help!

In case someone else has this issue, how I wiped was first a Factory Data Reset, then an advanced wipe for the Cache and the Dalvic, then flashed the ROM and GAPPS, then wiped the Cache/Dalvic again, then actually rebooted the system and it started right into Cyanogen mod.

ezknives

Jul 21, 2013
Yep, I tend to wipe each one(FDR & system+dalvic+cache) 3 times tho I don't think that's really necessary I just wanna be sure it got it all... Happy you got it all working

We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.

Top Liked Posts