[HOW TO] Remove stock mms.apk, replace with vanilla mms.apk

Search This thread

shoman24v

Mar 4, 2007
Fresno, CA
I really really hate the mms app that comes with the Droid Incredible. It's slow, and clunky. I really don't even know how they allowed it to come with the phone. I wanted to uninstall it but was told it may interfere with the HTC stuff. Well.... I uninstalled the default mms.apk and installed the Vanilla mms.apk which is SOOOOOO much better then what HTC gives us. It's so smooth :) and I have the nice little green messaging icon :) I haven't had any issues so far.

SMS sent/received - TESTED
MMS sent/received - TESTED

Remember, what you do is at your own risk, I am not responsible for anything.

Be sure you make a nandroid backup, of course and root is required.

To mount \system folder:

1. Reboot into recovery mode (Power device down then hold power button + volume - or optical key instead of vol -)
2. choose partitions
3. choose mount \system

Navigate to C:\sdk\Tools in a windows command prompt

adb shell /system/bin/rm /system/app/Mms.apk <<<<<<<<<<<< File name must match file.

Remount system when complete and reboot.

Attached file is the Vanilla mms.apk, install it when you reboot your phone.

All text messages should be saved, FB integration is still there.

Side note, with the stock mms.apk removed you can use just Handcent for SMS, but MMS won't work.

device.jpg
device1.jpg

device3.jpg
device4.jpg

Attachments

• Mms.apk
    958.1 KB · Views: 1,897
Last edited:

NickkxNekro

Jul 20, 2010
I'm up for trying this. Hate the one that comes with sense, always locks up because I have a lot of people I stay in contact with, and deleting them makes my phone freeze :rolleyes:

NickkxNekro

Jul 20, 2010
Just mounted my system and tried typing out the command, says directory doesn't exist? but the system wasn't showing up as accessible via My computer (was there, but when i clicked it, asked me to insert disk(x:/) ). Odd, I just opened my system to put in some new audio sounds about 10 min ago and it worked fine.

Edit: Needed to capitalize the M in Mms.apk, forgot it was case sensitive ;)

Last edited:

shoman24v

Mar 4, 2007
Fresno, CA
Just mounted my system and tried typing out the command, says directory doesn't exist? but the system wasn't showing up as accessible via My computer (was there, but when i clicked it, asked me to insert disk(x:/) ). Odd, I just opened my system to put in some new audio sounds about 10 min ago and it worked fine.

Is USB debugging enabled?

KB Smoka

Jun 13, 2010
CT
Any way to get screen shots of this? I dont like the default MMS/SMS app either but I'd like to see the Vanilla one before I do this.

Thanks.

NickkxNekro

Jul 20, 2010
You sure it's sending messages? mine have a little message box with the timer on them. I've got service, and i can't "resend" the message, so idk if it's working or not.

santana11981

Apr 14, 2007
NYC
this is great i really hate sense and anytime i can get rid of it im up for it.....question anyway of getting android stock dialer??

ds28

May 26, 2010
Is un-doing this as simple as deleting the "native" Mms.apk, and installing the "Sense" Mms.apk, via the original instructions?

Last edited:

TheWhiteBandito

Retired Recognized Developer
Jun 15, 2010
NY/CT
Quick question. You said "Side note, with the stock mms.apk removed you can use just Handcent for SMS, but MMS won't work." Does MMS work in the Vanilla messaging app though? I realize it says "MMS sent/received - TESTED" but it doesn't say that it works, just that it has been tested.

shoman24v

Mar 4, 2007
Fresno, CA
Quick question. You said "Side note, with the stock mms.apk removed you can use just Handcent for SMS, but MMS won't work." Does MMS work in the Vanilla messaging app though? I realize it says "MMS sent/received - TESTED" but it doesn't say that it works, just that it has been tested.
I meant it works, I guess that's why I put tested.

And yes, MMS/SMS in vanilla works.

ds28

May 26, 2010
definitely nicer, but settings problem

thanks, gave it a shot. I agree, the interface is much nicer.

However-- settings don't stick after a reboot (e.g., notification settings, retrieve while roaming)

Can this be fixed? :confused: