HTC One X bricked or repairable?

Search This thread

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
Hey Guys,

I was wondering whether anyone would be nice enough to help me with my HTC One X? I am not sure whether the device is repairable or not in its current state, so I will just explain what I did, and hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the situation.

1. I unlocked the device using HTC Dev
2. I installed ClockworkMod Recovery (this method)
3. I created a backup using ClockworkMod Recovery
4. I flashed this custom ROM on the device (Cool OneX v2)
5. I extracted boot.img from the Cool-ROM.zip and flashed it using fastboot
6. The device would not get past the HTC boot screen, so I decided to restore from the backup
7. Rebooted device, ROM appeared to be back to stock, battery indicator looked like it was around 70%, jumped to red icon and device turned off
8. Restarted device again whilst charger was plugged in, ROM did not appear to recognise charger, device turned off
9. Tried Cool OneX V2 ROM again and re-flashing boot.img, did not work again
10. Tried wiping battery stats in recovery

I presume that the ClockworkMod Recovery restore includes boot.img?

The device currently has no charge (permanently or not, I am not yet sure), though I can turn it on whilst it is plugged in. The red indicator is currently flashing. The device will however not stay turned on once Android has loaded. It will stay turned on whilst in fastboot and recovery.

Is it possible for me to flash another ROM on the device using fastboot or recovery? The device obviously doesn't have removable storage, and only has Cool-ROM.zip and the restore on it.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Does this sound like a hardware or a software related issue?

N3m3515

Sep 24, 2008
i would suggest the one matching your stock rom but you can try any other boot.img. but be carefull your battery wont run out of power.

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
i would suggest the one matching your stock rom but you can try any other boot.img. but be carefull your battery wont run out of power.

I just tried flashing a boot.img file, though it did not work.

c:\fastboot>fastboot flash boot boot.img
sending 'boot' (4284 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.577s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: battery low)
finished. total time: 0.665s

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
Thanks for your help, though the more that I think about it, the device has a faulty battery. You can leave it plugged in for hours, though the red light will not stop flashing. The device has enough power to boot into fastboot and recovery whilst turned on and plugged in, though not Android itself.

Is it possible to damage the battery by flashing a ROM / boot.img, or is this more likely to be a fault that coincidentally popped up whilst I was flashing the device?

nooomoto

Sep 22, 2010
Miami, FL
The exact same thing happened to me a couple nights ago. I followed this guide:

IF YOU HAVE ANY UNSIGNED RECOVERY:
1.- GO TO RECOVERY
2.- FORMAT SYSTEM
3.- RESTART NORMALLY
4.- YOUR PHONE WILL STOPS IN "HTC QUIETLY BRILLIANT" SCREEN
5.- PUT YOUR PHONE TO CHARGE (no light notification appears)
6.- LET IT CHARGE FOR A COUPLE HOURS (i put mine to charge for a complete night)
7.- Now restore your RUU, Flash, etc...

I left it charging on the white HTC Quietly Brilliant screen for about 4 1/2 hours. There will be no light while it's charging, and no indication that charging is complete. After 4 1/2 hours I unplugged the phone, booted into CWM Recovery via Volume down + Power and restored the Nandroid I had made of my stock ROM. I was then able to let it charge fully while the device was on and proceeded to re-flash ARHD ROM.

Good luck! It's not bricked man, it's just being pissy.

rogersnm

Dec 10, 2008
The nearest pub
If you want to get some charge in your battery, boot into fastboot and flash the stock recovery then shut down the device and leave it to charge. The led indicator should be solid red indicating the device is charging and will then turn green to indicate the device is fully charged.

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
I left it charging on the white HTC Quietly Brilliant screen for about 4 1/2 hours. There will be no light while it's charging, and no indication that charging is complete. After 4 1/2 hours I unplugged the phone, booted into CWM Recovery via Volume down + Power and restored the Nandroid I had made of my stock ROM. I was then able to let it charge fully while the device was on and proceeded to re-flash ARHD ROM.

Good luck! It's not bricked man, it's just being pissy.

Thanks for the advice, I currently have it charging on the 'HTC One / beats audio' boot screen. The red LED was flashing whilst the device was turned off and plugged in, it is now a solid red LED, which hopefully means that the device is charging.

If you want to get some charge in your battery, boot into fastboot and flash the stock recovery then shut down the device and leave it to charge. The led indicator should be solid red indicating the device is charging and will then turn green to indicate the device is fully charged.

I will leave the device charging on the bootscreen for a little while, then will attempt to flash stock recovery back onto the device. (which I presume is endeavoru_recovery_signed.img)

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
This sort of thing recently happened to me, it was a right ***** to sort out. Once you have enough charge you will be able to flash via fastboot and get up and running again.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
IF YOU HAVE ANY UNSIGNED RECOVERY:
1.- GO TO RECOVERY
2.- FORMAT SYSTEM
3.- RESTART NORMALLY
4.- YOUR PHONE WILL STOPS IN "HTC QUIETLY BRILLIANT" SCREEN
5.- PUT YOUR PHONE TO CHARGE (no light notification appears)
6.- LET IT CHARGE FOR A COUPLE HOURS (i put mine to charge for a complete night)
7.- Now restore your RUU, Flash, etc...

The instructions unfortunately did not work. :/ There is still no battery when I boot into Android, and the device turns off. The device freezes at the screen just after 'HTC Quietly Brilliant', the one that says 'HTC One / beats audio'. There is a solid red LED whilst the device is stuck on this screen, which does not go away if I pull out the charger.

rogersnm

Dec 10, 2008
The nearest pub
The instructions unfortunately did not work. :/ There is still no battery when I boot into Android, and the device turns off. The device freezes at the screen just after 'HTC Quietly Brilliant', the one that says 'HTC One / beats audio'. There is a solid red LED whilst the device is stuck on this screen, which does not go away if I pull out the charger.

That method is designed to give you enough charge to be able to flash the stock recovery via fastboot and allow the device to charge whilst off.

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
That method is designed to give you enough charge to be able to flash the stock recovery via fastboot and allow the device to charge whilst off.

I was able to successfully flash the stock recovery, though I did a really stupid thing (I blame sleep deprivation). I thought that I had already restored from recovery, when the custom ROM was actually on the device. In other words, I have lost my nandroid backup.

I presume that it is not possible to convert .zip ROMs into .img files?

Does anyone have a nandroid that would be compatible with my device? It would be really really appreciated if you could upload it.

HTC One X S720e
MID: PJ4610000
CID: none (HTC__044 according to CID Getter)

marcadam

Nov 23, 2010
I'm not too sure that would work, I have never heard of anyone using a nandroid from another handset. I would suggest unlocking your bootloader again then reflash touch recovery and install your rom of choice.

First thing I always do after root is a nandroid backup and save it on dropbox and pc, hindsight is pretty useless though.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

rogersnm

Dec 10, 2008
The nearest pub
I was able to successfully flash the stock recovery, though I did a really stupid thing (I blame sleep deprivation). I thought that I had already restored from recovery, when the custom ROM was actually on the device. In other words, I have lost my nandroid backup.

I presume that it is not possible to convert .zip ROMs into .img files?

Does anyone have a nandroid that would be compatible with my device? It would be really really appreciated if you could upload it.

HTC One X S720e
MID: PJ4610000
CID: none (HTC__044 according to CID Getter)

Have you checked to see if there is a RUU available for your region/carrier?

MarrkDaviid

Mar 30, 2011
Brisbane
I am currently downloading a few different ROMs from here:

http://www.filefactory.com/f/7cc7b2fbdd03c031/

Trying to flash boot_signed.img and system.img, though I am running into more difficulties.

c:\fastboot>fastboot flash boot boot_signed.img
sending 'boot' (4278 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.583s]
writing 'boot'...
(bootloader) Format partition LNX done
OKAY [ 0.374s]
finished. total time: 0.957s

c:\fastboot>fastboot flash system system.img
sending 'system' (974140 KB)...
FAILED (remote: (00000006))
finished. total time: 0.044s

The error apparently means that the file is too big, based on what I have been reading at least. Will see if any of the others work, otherwise I will have to look into flashing another custom ROM.

I like the look of Android Revolution HD, though the firmware package required, is apparently not compatible with my devices CID. Whatever that means.

rogersnm

Dec 10, 2008
The nearest pub
I like the look of Android Revolution HD, though the firmware package required, is apparently not compatible with my devices CID. Whatever that means.

If you installed the 1.28 OTA update when you were on the stock rom then afaik you don't have to install the firmware package.

Btw, if you still have the Cool OneX V2 rom installed, try flashing the rom's boot img back on with fastboot and then enter the command "fastboot erase cache". After that reboot and see if the rom loads.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts