touch.dll development/hacking ( cab file of the rebuild touch driver added )

Search This thread

rogro82

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Did any of you tried to set the values to 109 and see how it reacted? Setting it to 109 will give it a higher priority..

As stated before this is not a fix... for me its just a solution for the slow rendering when touching the screen at the moment. The real fix will consist of a lot of cleaning up of the garbage code in touch.dll like removing debug, cube code etc.

I am working on it but dont expect a quick fix on that, because basically the complete dll needs to be rebuild from asm and then the stripping can begin. So for people that dont have any issues the reg hack is great, but any problems that arise from it all comes down to the fact that the touch.dll is one big pile of $#%.

Last edited:

directmail

Feb 20, 2008
London
Did any of you tried to set the values to 109 and see how it reacted? Setting it to 109 will give it a higher priority..

Also noticed that scrolling is much better when Priority is set to 255, but the screen becomes unresponsive to touch for a few seconds in iGO8.3 when I browse the map or when the map is shown. Setting the priority to 109 or even 200 fixes the iGO problem, but I found that scrolling in All Programs becomes as slow as it was before.

As the screen only becomes unresponsive when it starts to build up the map, I will leave my settings at 255 as i am not touching the screen while driving anyway.

m.schmidler

Apr 6, 2008
www.ppc-insider.de
Just tested, seems to work better than before. Also tested with value=200, a bit worse than with 255.

I underlined "seems" because I think udK cooked some improvements into scrolling. At least in programs-folder when you scroll slowly it is soft as hell. If you scroll a bit and put off your finger it gradually gets slower, really nice done.

Don´t know if this is also an improvement in the touch.dll ?

to rogro82: big thanks for starting the thread, just another "how-can-we-improve-our-polaris-so-it-becomes-an-awesome-device"-thread, like the P3D-thread.

regards,
Martin

bloedfisch

Feb 29, 2008
230 and 230 works very well!
Scrolling is very fast and
TomTom works also good.
I use the M-Amine 2.0 german
final Rom.

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Some information about priority levels:

0 through 96
Reserved for real-time above drivers.

97 through 152
Used by the default Windows Embedded CE–based device drivers.

153 through 247
Reserved for real-time below drivers.

248 through 255
Mapped to non-real-time priorities.

m.schmidler

Apr 6, 2008
www.ppc-insider.de
Some information about priority levels:

0 through 96
Reserved for real-time above drivers.

97 through 152
Used by the default Windows Embedded CE–based device drivers.

153 through 247
Reserved for real-time below drivers.

248 through 255
Mapped to non-real-time priorities.

thx for the info, but its rather expert info, since you don´t advice us which ones best for which scenario ;)

w04g005

Oct 18, 2006
Munich
Hey guys great find! It really works a lot faster in scrolling. But i also can confirm the bug in igo!!
If this development goes on we don't need any 2d drivers!!

c_shekhar

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 7, 2005
@rogro82
The tip is overwhelmingly superb. I have tested with values 256 and no issues at all. It makes the scrolling a real pleasure. Thanks a lot bro! keep up the good share...

NeoS

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Mod
Jan 27, 2008
Somewhere in NL
Rog, why is it that this only works on Polaris? Because the HD doesn't seem to have that issue when touching the screen. I imagine the Polaris is a hastily created device by HTC. The HD seems much more finetuned.

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
can you upload your touch.dll here so i can see whats the difference... i guess they scraped out all the biotouch/cube **** and maybe they added the touchflo3d handling..

If they were smart they also left that out..

The idea of putting all code in the touch.dll is to add global gesture/touchflo support to external apps which they cant control. Its more that the way they do it isnt "really" efficient ( understatement of the year ).

Leryan

Sep 7, 2008
Riga
Well, some tips what i noticed.
After adding values to registry, i have tried to install Touch flo 3d - interface didn't want to start. Maybe some similar problem to NeoS2007 wrote (interfeis unresponsive on HD).
Also problems with CorePlayer - when movie is playing screen don't respond, only hardware keys working.
But i like smooth scrolling :)

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
After adding values to registry, i have tried to install Touch flo 3d - interface didn't want to start. Maybe some similar problem to NeoS2007 wrote (interfeis unresponsive on HD).
Also problems with CorePlayer - when movie is playing screen don't respond, only hardware keys working.

Didnt had any problems with touchflo3d. Do you have the 3d drivers installed?

The second is because both coreplayer and the touchinput are at the same level ( priority wise ). So if coreplayer is using up all resources touch.dll wont get called.

But some good news is that the rebuild of the touch.dll from assembly is almost complete. GWES is loading it but somewhere it fails in communication with I2C. Hopefully ill get it to work soon so we can start cleaning..

Leryan

Sep 7, 2008
Riga
Tried hard reset -> 3D driver installed -> soft reset -> Touch Flo 3D installed -> soft reset -> Touch Flo 3D is working :D
Previously it stuck on "launching Touch Flo 3D".
Can't investigate anything more - today phone was sent to maintence.

epimazzo

Oct 27, 2006
São Paulo
www.cyclicus.io
Folks,

I tried different settings like 255 and 256. Both had down scrolling feature a bit between M2D tabs and also inside programs folder, etc. Got freezing screen sometimes. Then I setup to 109 and is really amazing what I got as result. M2D is now more responsive and faster. No freezings. Not as a lighting...:D but I'm satisfied.

rogro82

May 1, 2008
plus.google.com
Ok i finally managed to succesfully rebuild the touch.dll from assembly, and the device boots with it :)

This means the cleaning can begin....