64gb sd support?

Search This thread

Ambroos

Aug 11, 2010
Dublin / Belgium
Movie app is capable of MKV's just fine too. MP4, AVI, MKV, all supported with video codec XviD or H264, and with audio codec MP3 or AAC (single-channel).

What isn't supported: MP4's, AVI's or MKV's with other video codecs (hardly ever used anymore) or with other audio codecs (like AC3 (Dolby Digital), DTS and other surround variants). Pretty much like all other phones.

Reactions: the_brad

choonwai11

Mar 7, 2009
i was told i can format the 64gb card into ext4 format and plug and play in xperia Z, to enable more then 4gb file, is that true?
of cos with the disadvantage of cant read by windows PC without special driver.

parapaul

Apr 27, 2008
West Midlands
I'm not trolling, this is a genuine question.

Why are so many people getting hung up about a 4GB file size? Every single DVD I've ripped is between 2 and 3GB. Pictures and MP3 files are a fraction of that. The only files I can imagine wanting that are more then 4GB are Blu Ray films, and on a 5" screen I defy anyone to tell the difference between SD and HD.

Am I missing something?

nasiayam

Feb 19, 2013
Yes it does! And shockingly by almost 7-8folds :D

I tried using my 64gb microSDXC with a UHS adapter and connect it on my PC(before I formatted it to fat32) and write speeds were 20+mb then after I formatted it to fat32 it barely even reach 5mb lol!

will the quality of full HD 1080p video recording quality suffer since the write speed is only 5mb? not sure what is the write speed of recording a full HD video...

wonneil

Nov 30, 2009
Kent

Why are so many people getting hung up about a 4GB file size? Every single DVD I've ripped is between 2 and 3GB. Pictures and MP3 files are a fraction of that. The only files I can imagine wanting that are more then 4GB are Blu Ray films, and on a 5" screen I defy anyone to tell the difference between SD and HD.

Am I missing something?

What is the point in me owning a 1080p phone if I am only going to watch films in SD?

It seems that even only having a standard 16gb card we will still not be able to add files over 4gb, is that correct? In which case we might as well all be using the 64gb cards...

choonwai11

Mar 7, 2009

Am I missing something?

at home i download many dramas, movie to my phone and output it to HDMI TV when i am at hostel (where i do not have good internet connection), so i been wanting a phone that i can use SDXC so that i can carry full HD movies(which can be up to 8~12gb) and enjoy my movies at hostel. when u output it to a 32" tv, the different is huge.

DarkKrypt

May 9, 2012
Melbourne
What is the point in me owning a 1080p phone if I am only going to watch films in SD?

It seems that even only having a standard 16gb card we will still not be able to add files over 4gb, is that correct? In which case we might as well all be using the 64gb cards...

On 16 and 32 gb cards you can add files over 4gb because they are a different type of memory card - sdhc
Where the 64gb is sdxc.

If you have WiFi at home use the app WiFi file explorer pro, which will allow you to transfer files to the memory card - should work.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

at home i download many dramas, movie to my phone and output it to HDMI TV when i am at hostel (where i do not have good internet connection), so i been wanting a phone that i can use SDXC so that i can carry full HD movies(which can be up to 8~12gb) and enjoy my movies at hostel. when u output it to a 32" tv, the different is huge.

Whats the point of full 1080 Hd 8gb-12gb files on a 32inch tv. Where you can get full 1080 Hd files at no less then 1.2gb - 2~gb size that looks great.
Full Hd sized files should only be used on 46+ inch tvs but even then its not 100% needed.

If you need help finding great rips ask me.

choonwai11

Mar 7, 2009
On 16 and 32 gb cards you can add files over 4gb because they are a different type of memory card - sdhc
Where the 64gb is sdxc.

If you have WiFi at home use the app WiFi file explorer pro, which will allow you to transfer files to the memory card - should work.

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 AM ----------

Whats the point of full 1080 Hd 8gb-12gb files on a 32inch tv. Where you can get full 1080 Hd files at no less then 1.2gb - 2~gb size that looks great.
Full Hd sized files should only be used on 46+ inch tvs but even then its not 100% needed.

1080 HD files with only 1~2gbs have really low quality bit rate, even lower then DVDs, seem like we have different requirement for visual satisfation.

Last edited:

DarkKrypt

May 9, 2012
Melbourne
@choonwai11
Are you serious?

Go check out YIFY, anoXmous, 3Li, KiNGDOM (kingdom do 3gb~) to mention a few.
PublicHD do 3gb+ minimum and upto 12/13gb files if my memory serves me correct.
Watch a MAXSPEED/aXXo (nothing wrong with their rips) DVD rip
And compare it to the above rippers.
Their rips arent lower quality.

Last edited:

choonwai11

Mar 7, 2009
@choonwai11
Are you serious?

Go check out YIFY, anoXmous, 3Li, KiNGDOM (kingdom do 3gb~) to mention a few.
PublicHD do 3gb+ minimum and upto 12/13gb files if my memory serves me correct.
Watch a MAXSPEED/aXXo (nothing wrong with their rips) DVD rip
And compare it to the above rippers.
Their rips arent lower quality.

i am dead serious, that y i said we have different interpretion of quality, what i mean low quality of the ripped files is when compare to those uncompress original files. 1~2 gb ripped file is surely in very good quality for normal viewing, but 8~9 gb file will definitely give better visual enjoyment. if it is the same, why in the world does ppl want to keep 8~10gbs file per movie but not those ripped file of 1~2gb?

no point debating since we both have as i said, different requirment for visual satisfaction.

Ussy

Jan 12, 2011
London
Where the 64gb is sdxc.

FAT32 is FAT32, regardless of SDHC/SDXC.

I'm disappointed at the lack of exFAT support as most Android manufacturers are already paying Microsoft royalty fees on each Android device.

The 1-2GB blu ray rips are usually at a lower bitrate but most importantly have crappy 2.0 audio. I prefer my files to have 5.1 Dolby or DTS HD for when I use my home theatre system.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

wonneil

Nov 30, 2009
Kent
If you root it then use paragon ntfs u can

Sent from my LT29i using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, so I take it that (as per my original question) it doesn't matter what size card we use in the stock XZ, we will not be able to have files over 4gb and so I might as well go buy a 64gb card and use that for maximum storage?

And make sure that all the blurays I rip are less than 4gb :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Evidence that the Xperia Z supports 64GB microSD cards:

xperiaz64gbsupport.png

Mine is a Sandisk microSDXC 64GB card.

When I first inserted the card into the phone, it would say that the card is not supported and asked if I wanted to format the card. When I select the "OK" option, it formats the card and it's all ready to be used. :)
    It states as FAT32:

fat32g.jpg
    Yes, it supports 64GB micro SD cards so long as they are FAT32 formatted.

Do you know this for a fact? Has anybody actually tested this on any of the prerelease versions of the phone?

This would make me even more tempted to pre order it be for release. If you have any links to any test of this, it would be great:)
    Do you know this for a fact? Has anybody actually tested this on any of the prerelease versions of the phone?

This would make me even more tempted to pre order it be for release. If you have any links to any test of this, it would be great:)

I'm using a 64GB SanDisk MicroSDXC card in my ZL right now.
    Hello,

I saw this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1909697 and http://www.xperiablog.net/2011/12/14/xperia-play-supports-64gb-microsd-memory-cards/

and I wonder if the Z will support 64gb sd cards. Overall it looks like a great phone but with only 16gb internal, I would never even consider it without 64gb support. Thoughts?

BTW, I searched all the forums and it doesn't look like its been talked about much.
    I can now confirm the xperia Z is working with a 64GB micro SD card. I work at vodafone HQ in London, we have the final version of the device and we are currently testing the device with our network and apps ect. My boss was demonstrating the device to interns and other technical officals, and when i went on his demo device, i seen that he had a 64GB class 10 HDHC micro sd card. I think its due to the way the card is formatted, i think he formatted using exFAT, and NOT fat32, i am yet to confirm this but this is amazing news :D!!