The radio SUCKS!

Search This thread

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
I'm sitting at home nice good HSPA+ Signal then all of a sudden it just drops the EDGE
my other phone (iPhone is still on HSPA+ no issues) great so I toggle airplane mode on and off boom still edge, so I reboot and boom STILL EDGE
After a while it reconnect to HSPA+ or until it picks up LTE

Does this happen to you? It seems the radio got even crappier with 4.4.2

Im fully stock 100% I have 2 Nexus 5 units in hand one is from T-Mobile one is from play store both experience the same problem

Does anyone know if this is software or hardware Antenna or qFE1100 and does this happen to you?

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLUqguZS1Q8

Last edited:

rayiskon

Jan 9, 2011
Both nexus 4 and 5 suffer from signal drops.
LG and Samsung made devices in general have weaker antennas than Motorola/Apple for example.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

deakelem

Jul 29, 2012
Houston
I'm sitting at home nice good HSPA+ Signal then all of a sudden it just drops the EDGE
my other phone (iPhone is still on HSPA+ no issues) great so I toggle airplane mode on and off boom still edge, so I reboot and boom STILL EDGE

Im fully stock 100% I have 2 Nexus 5 units in hand one is from T-Mobile one is from play store both experience the same problem

Does anyone know if this is software or hardware Antenna or qFE1100 and does this happen to you?

Not the same issues but I have seen litle quirks with the latest modem. Flash the .15 modem.. I get the best results with it

I'm on sprint BTW so no hspa but with the .23,radio my phone is less eager to connect from 3g to lte unless I airplane mode it

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California

Didn't you just post this exact thread yesterday? You said Google wanted you to get a new device, so do that first.

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Didn't you just post this exact thread yesterday? You said Google wanted you to get a new device, so do that first.

Yes but it seems new or not they all have the issue I tested 5 of my friends with nexus 5's all of them report exact same issue
I also managed to catch my 2 units on video

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
Where i live i even have H+ indoors, couldn`t get that with a samsung or htc. So nothing wrong with the radio for me.

G

GuestK00442

I think I'm having the same issue, my data has been bad(between .5mbps-1mbps) since I got this phone. First I thought it was the APN settings, then I thought maybe the towers, right now I'm thinking I might be throttled by at&t. I call them one person says yes, call again another person says no, wtf!

I came from a galaxy s 3 with no build problems, just slow updates. Damn I guess there's no winning with Android.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

wideasleep1

Jun 2, 2006
Why would i flash back to 4.4. The Point is google ffffed up somewhere and I hope this gains momentum as right now Google does not see it as an issue and is blaming it on the carrier.

Not the point at all. Either you want a solution or you want to blame. This isn't an issue for the 3 N5's I administer so it sounds like a localised problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

markdapimp

Nov 8, 2013
Not the point at all. Either you want a solution or you want to blame. This isn't an issue for the 3 N5's I administer so it sounds like a localised problem.

Take your Nexus 5's to an area where you don't get HSPA+ for example your basement then take it out and bring it to an area with HSPA+
Let it sit and see if it will switch to HSPA+ if not toggle airplane mode on then off then see if it will switch.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I Went through and flashed all modems and checked the signal strength from each. .15 (KRT01B) is what worked best for me.
    I wonder if your problems are a T-Mobile thing because my Nexus 5 stomps my wife's iPhone 5s on Sprint. I get around 50 down where she's lucky to get 10 down
    I'm in a turbo spark zone :thumbup:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

You just compared a sprint spark capable phone to a phone not capable of spark at all

Nexuses ;)

Gesundheit!

Its going to be impossible to compare as my network doesn't have anything below 3g but it might be interesting to monitor signal strength in about phone > settings. Although to pre-empt it would be hard. Wonder if theres an app to monitor it? See what strength hspa+ is when it switches out....

One of the nexus 5 has signal checkpro when the video is uploaded you can see the dmb in notification

My nexus is much better than my S3

Whether your nexus is better than your S3 or the other way around, is not my concern, you obviously didn't understand my post well, but thank you for your contribution.