[SOLVED] Extreme Battery Drain after Update

Search This thread

edbro9

Apr 29, 2008
After the 10.4.1.B.0.101 firmware update my battery has been draining extremely quickly. Today it went from 100% to 25% in 6 hours with the device in airplane mode. When I look at the battery usage in Settings it says that Google Play Services used 63% of the battery. I Googled this and I saw that there was an battery drain issue with Play Services that was fixed with ver 4.1. Well, I have ver 4.2. The other high item in battery usage is labeled Media using 27%. I did not use the phone for anything, it sat idle in airplane mode.

I'm also getting random vibrations. Sometimes when I'm holding the phone it will give a quick vibration notification. I don't know where that is coming from.

I initially did the OTA with the device rooted that resulted in some severe problems. So, I unrooted and reflashed it with SEUSS. So, that should have totally wiped the device and put a fresh image on it. I have no other problems other than this extreme battery drain.

Anybody have any clues? Anybody else seeing this?

Last edited:

scifan

Dec 7, 2008
After the 10.4.1.B.0.101 firmware update my battery has been draining extremely quickly. Today it went from 100% to 25% in 6 hours with the device in airplane mode. When I look at the battery usage in Settings it says that Google Play Services used 63% of the battery. I Googled this and I saw that there was an battery drain issue with Play Services that was fixed with ver 4.1. Well, I have ver 4.2. The other high item in battery usage is labeled Media using 27%. I did not use the phone for anything, it sat idle in airplane mode.

I'm also getting random vibrations. Sometimes when I'm holding the phone it will give a quick vibration notification. I don't know where that is coming from.

I initially did the OTA with the device rooted that resulted in some severe problems. So, I unrooted and reflashed it with SEUSS. So, that should have totally wiped the device and put a fresh image on it. I have no other problems other than this extreme battery drain.

Install better battery stats and look at what's consuming your battery?

I used my phone pretty heavily today and still have 11% left... I plugged it in about 2 hours ago long enough to grab some pictures off of it...

I'm unsure why Google services went nuts... oh and I had my screen on full brightness for an hour or more while working on a project outdoors in bright sunlight... uploadfromtaptalk1392350420735.jpguploadfromtaptalk1392350438649.jpg

Sent from my C6503 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392350265774.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392350265774.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 125

bhavstech

Aug 24, 2013
Mumbai

this is sometimes due to the update did u callibrate your battery ,try a factory reset bcoz after update sometimes factory reset helps to remove he bugs if you still face the problem contct service centre ,check wich app is drainig your battery

melvinrobertson

Nov 3, 2013

Download tegra overclock from google play link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tegraoverclock&hl=en
you must be rooted, then underclock to the minimum frequency of your cell in tegra overclock, then minimize your cells screens brightness, it will increase yours ncell battery backup much much higher than before ! hit like if i had helped you, as i am new in xda and want to become senior member !

ren2008

Jun 10, 2008
Huh this is not a battery drain issue.

Wipe the batterystats.bin and charge again to 100% without disconnecting the phone. Use it and voilà. (You can use Battery Calibration from NéMa in the Play store)

This will calibrate your battery. I suggest you do it after ant ROM flash or OTA update.

Root required to wipe stats.

edbro9

Apr 29, 2008
Wow, I thought I had this problem licked but it resurfaced again today. Since my first complaint I factory reset the phone and reinstalled everything again. I have been running fine for days since then. But, then today.... same problems. With the phone in airplane mode most of the time I get the following:

yid6aRP.png

UljmfE0.png

edbro9

Apr 29, 2008
I think I figured out the problem. I have a 64GB Micro SD that I had pretty full with music. I've used it without problems for at least 6 months in my Xperia before the update. After the update I noticed an extreme battery drain and it reported that "Media" was using an unusually high amount of resources. So, I removed the card and now I get phenomenal battery life using Stamina. If I don't actively use the device it will only drain less than 1%/hour. Not bad under heavy use also.

I've been out of town since all this started and I haven't had a chance to reformat my MicroSD. I am hoping that if I reformat and slowly add back in some media that it might not reoccur.

Last edited:

Cookie Ninja

Jan 21, 2010
I disabled Google crap (plus, maps, play services, magazines, books, movie studio, sync adapters for contacts, calendar, Chrome browser etc). Both me and my wife get approx 5 hrs of screen time (1day + from 100% to 15%) with moderate usage, (WiFi always on, 3g/WCDMA preferred, no sync). It's Google services that run in the background, cause wakelocks and drain battery.

Dead Cookies leave no trails...

danieldp1990

Jul 17, 2012
cali
I disabled Google crap (plus, maps, play services, magazines, books, movie studio, sync adapters for contacts, calendar, Chrome browser etc). Both me and my wife get approx 5 hrs of screen time (1day + from 100% to 15%) with moderate usage, (WiFi always on, 3g/WCDMA preferred, no sync). It's Google services that run in the background, cause wakelocks and drain battery.

update .101 its draining to fast my battery also....... I decided to go back to 569... and disable all does apps. I'll wa8 fot 4.4 kitkat

danieldp1990

Jul 17, 2012
cali

update .101 its draining to fast my battery also....... I decided to go back to 569... and disable all does apps. I'll wa8 fot 4.4 kitkat

alcidescfjr

Nov 27, 2012
My battery life is pretty amazing with 101
5h50m with screen on, 6% left.
When get discharged, the time was 6h05m, i tryed to print, but the cell power off lol
sorry my bad english.

2014-02-26%252019.45.56.png