[Q] Is your compass working properly?

Is it working perfectly?

• Yes, 100% no problem!

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Need to calibrate from time to time.

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Need to reboot to get it to work sometimes.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • It's stuck a lot of the time.

Votes: 2 18.2%

• Total voters
Search This thread

nicholaschum

Substratum Development Leader / Inactive RT
Feb 3, 2011
University of Toronto
plus.google.com
I started a thread before, but found out it could be a software problem as a lot of demo units' compasses don't work all the time.

S4 has this problem too.

I have the N900W8 device, if that makes a difference.

Fill the poll out above to answer ^, or just comment down below.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vren D

a_quintero_ber

Apr 27, 2010
Same problem here

I started a thread before, but found out it could be a software problem as a lot of demo units' compasses don't work all the time.

S4 has this problem too.

Hi, nicholaschum.
I've the same problem. Mi phone is a N9005 (europe free note 3).
I agree that is a software problem, as if you calibrate the compass sensor (*#0*#) it runs without problem until I restart the phone.
I've also tested several demo units at a samsung store and all of them (galaxy s4, note 3, s4 mini) presented the same problem.
The technical service guy told me that they can change the motherboard of the phone, but I doubt that itgonna fix the problem.

There is a lot of threads, here on XDA, but also in other forums reportinf the same problem on several samsung devices...but unfortunately without solutions.

I'm very pessimistic about this problem, due to that we're more concerned about getting new versions of android instead of get this kind of issues fixed.

Sorry for my english!

jonstatt

Mar 17, 2008
The calibration does seem to get lost upon a reboot, but you do not have to go into the service menu to recalibrate it.

When you are in google maps, simply rotate your wrist (not your arm). Rotate your wrist around and around about 3-4 times (no need for anything more than this so only takes 5 seconds). And then I find everything works just fine.

You shouldn't have to do that after every reboot, but its not too bad if you realise you don't need to go into the service menu and the right movement to recalibrate it quickly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

S4 has this problem too.