VPN Client on the Fire TV

Search This thread

c0mm0n

Oct 29, 2007
Hi,

I'm in France and trying to set up a VPN client on the Fire TV.
The only decent I've found on the store is VPNroot which won't connect and display a "socket address family" error.

I'm using Boxpn service which works great on my desktop/mobiles.

Anyone succeeded in setting a VPN client on the ftv ?

jrgx19

May 21, 2010
Hi,

I'm in France and trying to set up a VPN client on the Fire TV.
The only decent I've found on the store is VPNroot which won't connect and display a "socket address family" error.

I'm using Boxpn service which works great on my desktop/mobiles.

Anyone succeeded in setting a VPN client on the ftv ?

Not yet. I have tried HMA and vyprVPN the apps crash when connecting to a server. You could do what I did and install DD-WRT on your router, granted your router is compatible. It works great for me and a have everything behind that router protected by the VPN

c0mm0n

Oct 29, 2007
Yes i'm working on the router side too, but still thinks it'd be great to have the client running on the FTV itself.

jrgx19

May 21, 2010
Yes i'm working on the router side too, but still thinks it'd be great to have the client running on the FTV itself.

Yeah, it would be cool to take it anywhere with you and just fire up the VPN app and get all the content without having to worry about carrying a router with you. ill keep looking into it. will update if find anything

Rose Ab

Jan 7, 2014
www.brokerviewer.com
I'm afraid, Fire TV OS is not particularly receptive to VPN usage however, if your router supports DD-WRT firmware, it's a good news because DD-WRT has the option of selecting different VPN configurations like: PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN and Once configured, users on the network don’t need to enter a log in process when they need to activate the VPN. It just starts automatically, so any device connects automatically and easily, giving you all the benefits of using a reliable VPN service.

alwaysbless

Nov 24, 2012
San Diego
^^ Macuser just mentioned the tun.ko vpn module got it working. Theres a tun.ko installer by droidvpn in the playstore that some of u guys may want to mess with.

Last edited:

lanfeust

Oct 7, 2008
i tried to follow Rose Ab's idea
i found an old router with dd-wrt on it, i now have to networks: one local and one connected via vpn which has the AFTV on it.
it works great

Last edited:

vyktym

May 31, 2014
i tried to follow Rose Ab's idea
i found an old router with dd-wrt on it, i now have to networks: one local and one connected via vpn which has the AFTV on it.
it works great

Care to share how you configured the two networks? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but can't find a reliable guide to do so.

I have two routers - both configured with dd-wrt. I find that when I plug my second router (w/vpn) into the first's LAN port, I can never get a connection to pass through. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lanfeust

Oct 7, 2008
Care to share how you configured the two networks? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but can't find a reliable guide to do so.

I have two routers - both configured with dd-wrt. I find that when I plug my second router (w/vpn) into the first's LAN port, I can never get a connection to pass through. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

actually, i have one router for my "usefull" network wich is configured as a gateway (you can use your internet box too). The other is configured as a vpn connected client, connected on the first, making a network for devices that need to be connected to the USA. I use purevpn and they have good tutorials for tomato or ddwrt and other kind of routers.

I also have a NAS with two ethernet ports... each connected on a different network, so it can be available from the fire tv and my computer

vyktym

May 31, 2014
actually, i have one router for my "usefull" network wich is configured as a gateway (you can use your internet box too). The other is configured as a vpn connected client, connected on the first, making a network for devices that need to be connected to the USA. I use purevpn and they have good tutorials for tomato or ddwrt and other kind of routers.

I also have a NAS with two ethernet ports... each connected on a different network, so it can be available from the fire tv and my computer

Thanks for clarifying. I think I got it working on my end by configuring the 2nd router to use the first router's IP address as the gateway and local DNS server. Still not my preferred option (waiting for the PIA android app to function by itself), but it will work for now. Cheers.

macuser

Jan 12, 2007
The best option avalaible is proxydroid.

Droidvpn is too slow.

Knowing this, if you still prefer using a vpn just let me know.

snappywan

Jan 9, 2011
OpenVPN running both natively and on router

Can you explain the settings on the router side? I have dd-wrt

There is a thread on reddit that explains both using the OpenVPN client directly on FireTV or split-routing setup.

Here is the link to use the OpenVPN client natively on FireTV:
reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/2b4hlh/finally_got_vpn_working/

Here is the link to use OpenVPN on the router and selectively route traffic over the tunnel for the FireTV:
reddit.com/r/fireTV/comments/2b4hlh/finally_got_vpn_working/cjwup38

I'm sure you can adapt the instructions to suit dd-wrt. And if you can't, maybe you should switch over to OpenWRT.

P.s. I'm a lurker so I cannot generate links until I've posted 10 times. Maybe a mod can do it, or someone else can repost it, or better yet, transcribe the instructions.

Reactions: niphoet

mcmsignup

Aug 23, 2014
There is a thread on reddit that explains both using the OpenVPN client directly on FireTV or split-routing setup.

Here is the link to use OpenVPN on the router and selectively route traffic over the tunnel for the FireTV:

I'm sure you can adapt the instructions to suit dd-wrt. And if you can't, maybe you should switch over to OpenWRT.

P.s. I'm a lurker so I cannot generate links until I've posted 10 times. Maybe a mod can do it, or someone else can repost it, or better yet, transcribe the instructions.

I was able to get a split tunnel up and running on an ASUS RT-N66U router running Merlin Firmware. The VPN in Merlin is basically a port of OpenVPN in the tomato firmware implementation. The first step is to create the VPN tunnel and then you can setup the separate routes. For Private Internet Access (PIA). I used the following instructions to setup the tunnel:

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/110/updated-tomato-setup-for-newer-branches-including-tomatousb/p1

Next I followed the instructions on this page for setting up a separate route for my FireTv. With this configuration my AFTV goes through the VPN tunnel and everything else goes through the normal Wan to my ISP. I followed the following instruction. Look at page 2 of the post for the instructions by WIZIN

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9311&highlight=split

This is tailored for ASUS routers, but the idea should not be too difficult to implement on and dd-wrt o tomato firmware.

For me this is a much cleaner solution than running something on the AFTV. It starts up and shuts down with the router, so I don' have worry about restarting it when I reboot on the AFTV or it using CPU and memory on the AFTV.

angelorg74

Oct 16, 2014
Please help

I'm afraid, Fire TV OS is not particularly receptive to VPN usage however, if your router supports DD-WRT firmware, it's a good news because DD-WRT has the option of selecting different VPN configurations like: PPTP, L2TP or OpenVPN and Once configured, users on the network don’t need to enter a log in process when they need to activate the VPN. It just starts automatically, so any device connects automatically and easily, giving you all the benefits of using a reliable VPN service.

I have a fire tv and would like to have a backup to connect to the office. I have a Asus N900 which has asuswrt fimrware. How do I setup the client to connect I am getting bad config on mine when trying to connect. IPCP -timeout sending config-requests.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tun.ko with droidvpn works.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
    Proxydroid with socks5 algo works.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Free mobile app
    OpenVPN running both natively and on router

Can you explain the settings on the router side? I have dd-wrt