[Q] Cleanest of the Clean Wipe

Search This thread

mrhomiec

Aug 9, 2010
what is the cleanest way to clean wipe the phone before flashing a new ROM?

the only reason i'm asking is in reference back to an old unanswered question i posted back in November:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2543941

i just switched back to my nandroid backup of S3Rx 2.2 from CM 10.2.1 that came out early this month.

i keep getting random reboots. and i'm thinking it's the way i'm flashing the ROM.

so here are the methods i've tried to flash a ROM with CWM 6.0.4.7

Method 1:
* factory reset
* wipe cache
* wipe dalvik
* flash ROM
* flash gapps
* reboot

Method 2: (marked with ** is a new step)
* factory reset
* wipe cache
* wipe dalvik
** format system
* flash ROM
* flash gapps
* reboot

Method 3: (maked with a *** are new steps)
* factory reset
* wipe cache
* wipe dalvik
** format system
* flash ROM
* flash gapps
*** wipe cache
*** wipe dalvik
* reboot

Method 4: (maked with a **** are new steps)
* factory reset
* wipe cache
* wipe dalvik
** format system
* flash ROM
**** reboot to launch ROM first time
**** reboot back to recovery
* flash gapps
*** wipe cache
*** wipe dalvik
* reboot

each these methods still result in random reboots throughout a single day.

any help would be much appreciated.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
I do it method 2 or 3, no issues usually except some of the latest cm11 night lies did occasionally reboot up until the last couple updates I finally tried it again and it seems almost perfectly stable now.

Different phone but still I think you're doing it right.

Sent from my One S using xda app-developers app

Reactions: mrhomiec

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I think that I understand you to say you are going from CM 10.2.1 to S3Rx.

If so, the problem could be the installation of gapps. S3Rx does not need gapps installed as a separate process. The rom has the google apps built into it, at least ones essential to getting Play Store access and other apks essential to getting the phone to run.

mrhomiec

Aug 9, 2010
I think that I understand you to say you are going from CM 10.2.1 to S3Rx.

If so, the problem could be the installation of gapps. S3Rx does not need gapps installed as a separate process. The rom has the google apps built into it, at least ones essential to getting Play Store access and other apks essential to getting the phone to run.

right, i was originally on S3Rx, then moved over to CM10.2.1, got the random reboots too often. and just restored a nandroid of S3Rx.

the random reboots happen to me whenever i try any ROM based on 4.3+ (that is not TouchWiz/stock).

every time i see a new release of CM or some other custom ROM, i try it out to see if the random reboots stop. but it never does.

i had a feeling it was gapps, that's why i had method 4 listed above. but that didn't change anything.

dawgdoc

Nov 27, 2013
I was misunderstanding a bit. I thought you were adding gapps to S3Rx and getting the random reboots in S3Rx.

Sorry for intruding.

350Rocket

Dec 11, 2010
Nobody else with the same phone seems to be having the same issues? Sorry I am no help either, but I feel bad that you had no replies in your original thread and so far not getting anywhere here. If anything its a thread bump.

Reactions: mrhomiec

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I do it method 2 or 3, no issues usually except some of the latest cm11 night lies did occasionally reboot up until the last couple updates I finally tried it again and it seems almost perfectly stable now.

Different phone but still I think you're doing it right.

Nobody else with the same phone seems to be having the same issues? Sorry I am no help either, but I feel bad that you had no replies in your original thread and so far not getting anywhere here. If anything its a thread bump.