Get NoDo now without using VPN and dialup!

Search This thread

Noticed

Nov 2, 2008
Hi,

yesterday I updated my LG Optimus 7:

Zune sayed, that i was currently using the latest version (7008) of WP7.
I didn't want to install a VPN client and a dialup.
So i did it as described following:

1. Start Zune
2. Turn off Data connection and Wifi on the Phone
3. Connect the Phone with the PC (USB)
4. Start the update search in Zune
5. About 3 seconds later, disconnect your PC from the internet (Turn WLAN off).
6. Zune finds NoDo-Update. Press OK.
7. Connect to the internet again and install the update.

Should work for all devices that can be updated by the VPN / dialup solution.

If it fails at point 5, try other timepoints for disconnecting, or try it again disconnected.

Jorijn

Sep 15, 2008
Culemborg
I can confirm this is working for my Vodafone branded HTC Trophy.

See this link for a screenshot. http://cloud.jorijn.com/5cJv

Man, you are awesome. I thank you.

Edit: It worked the first time. I timed the "There is no update available" twice which took 11 and 10 seconds. I then pulled the WiFi switch on 8 of 9 seconds. Bingo.

Last edited:

ParrotHead_FL

Oct 18, 2010
Works!

This worked on my AT&T LG Quantum. Not sure whether it matters, but I had previously unbranded it with the registry edit (took out ATT-US).

Thanks for the tip--great find!

Schismal

Dec 10, 2007
Can't get this to work on my AT&T-branded Focus.

Edit: It worked the first time. I timed the "There is no update available" twice which took 11 and 10 seconds. I then pulled the WiFi switch on 8 of 9 seconds. Bingo.
My "There is no update available" message takes about 2-3 seconds to come up. Maybe the speed is complicating this, heh, but it doesn't seem to matter how quickly I do a hardware or software disconnect--I'll either get the "no update" message or a "we can't check for updates right now."

Reactions: greggerca

blanket

Mar 29, 2007
i confirm that it works
i got it twice actually
i was too excited the first time and clicked update without connecting back to the internet
i was calmer the 2nd time and i'm updating now!

posting from singapore on a 7 pro bought from the uk

idg5eh.jpg

Rouz.

Jun 1, 2010
XDA
Hi,

1. Start Zune

If it fails at point 5, try other timepoints for disconnecting, or try it again disconnected.

Wow, this really works! nice find! thanks for sharing Noticed

turnma

Apr 27, 2007
oh this is much easier, thanks! I'd tried the other way a lot of times and had one success, but then got told I had insufficient disk space and had to start all over again. With this method I only had to try a few times. Only thing that slightly confused me was when you said to disconnect from wireless that I wasn't sure if that was the PC or the phone. Since my PC is wired I just disabled the NIC after 3 seconds. I'd say it worked twice out of about 10 attempts.

blanket

Mar 29, 2007
just finish updating
thank you TS for such a great solution
beats that hungary solution hands down

JamesAllen

Mar 10, 2007
NJ
Focus

I have a locked (no Chevron), branded (AT&T) Focus and can't get this to work. Zune says I am uptodate with 7004 (I do not have the pre-nodo). Should this be working for me?

Schismal

Dec 10, 2007
I have a locked (no Chevron), branded (AT&T) Focus and can't get this to work. Zune says I am uptodate with 7004 (I do not have the pre-nodo). Should this be working for me?
Same.

Since I'm about tired of AT&T's holdups, I might unbrand later today and try again. Are there any consequences to unbranding? I'm assuming I won't be able to connect to the AT&T appcenter, but I can live with that. ;) Will it mess up my messaging or anything?

linh1987

Dec 7, 2007
Thumbs up. Worked on my Samsung Focus AT&T 000-88 registry hack!
edit: maybe because if the internet at my place is slower, I need to turn off my wifi at around 8 seconds mark. The whole process takes around 10 seconds before zune show no update if leave alone.

Last edited:

Gaz25

Jul 1, 2008
Bedford
wow this works!!

Tried all other methods and nothing worked but by my 3rd attempt using this and it was there!

Not sure if this helps but if it fails then disconnect the phone from usb wait a sec and then plug back in. This seems to help with the timing as I found that if it fails and you try again right away the "your phone is up to date" message comes up quicker.

Developer unlocked (offical developer unlocked) UK 02 branded HTC HD7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

1. Start Zune

data should be off, connectivity of the computer should be on and wifi of phone should also be on.

manually check update and while zune is checking for an update immediately turn off your computers wifi (not the router, modem but the computers lan or wlan) while your phone is still connected to the wifi. when you already have the notification turn on your computers wifi and start the update process

hope this helps

I couldn't get any of the previous mentioned to work but I this is what finally did.

turn off phone cellular data in settings and leave 3g setting "on"
    turn off computer wlan
    leave phone wifi "on" and connect to computer, have phone wifi page open
    go to update settings and hit update button. 4 seconds turn off phone wifi (I actually counted 1 when I hit the mouse button, then 2-3-4)
    wait for notification of update and then turn on computer wlan.
    once connected back to the internet, hit update button on screen

This is for HD7 on tmo in usa. Mine just finished.
    Crucial trick

If you are doing this with a wired-PC, disconnecting the cable will NOT work.

You have to open Control Panel -> Network > Change adapter settings and then disable. Literally press disable after counting to 2.
    Can't get this to work on my AT&T-branded Focus.

My "There is no update available" message takes about 2-3 seconds to come up. Maybe the speed is complicating this, heh, but it doesn't seem to matter how quickly I do a hardware or software disconnect--I'll either get the "no update" message or a "we can't check for updates right now."
    Nice solution!

If it's ok I will integrate it to the sticky thread.