Htc Universal Memory Upgrade.

Search This thread

davieshyland

Mar 27, 2007
london
Has ne0ne done this in the UK, i have a spare MB, and i'd like to find somewhere in the UK that would atleast do the soldering for me (cheap :D ).

Also, is there a supplier for the chips etc.

mo3ulla

Mar 15, 2007
I know such supplyer .... $ 100 chip+soldering .... only 1 minus ..his in russia//but you may mail your device :D

May be able to help some guys out

I'm in the process getting a few samples of HYB25L512160AC-7.5 (The company I work for does a lot of business with infineon). I've access to a BGA certified tech who will do the soldering and if I need to I have access to solder reflow ovens and X-Ray machines (Just in case)

All we need now is for the patched NK.exe to be included in all the great ROM releases/kitchens that are going about.

If I can get the upgrades done with good sucess I may try offer this service to you guys (Depends whether the technician will be happy doing the mods)

BTW I'm uk based.

mo3ulla

Mar 15, 2007
more details please..... i would pay that amount to get this done, maybe mail my spare motherboard there, so i wouldn't be without my uni :eek:

but what exactly you want to know .. address? ? . the process takes no more than 1 Hour time .. then motherboard or device will be sent to the customer .. and yet ... no limit to the number of chips ...

details in pm

shoulders

Mar 10, 2007
Lancaster
could you still use normal roms with the 128mb installed. (obviously without the extra ram), there might be a really cool rom you want that doesnt support 128mb.

thanks

Any further progress?

Adding gigabit chips would require a modification of IPL and SPL. Currently it initializes memory for 9 rows 13 columns, and changing chips would require changing these values which is rather complex (but it is possible). Patching NK would not help here.
128 Mb is really enough. I've turned off page pool (so no modules are ever paged out) - the device boots really fast now and still has about 80 mb of free RAM. The public ROM is coming soon (maybe in a week).
Changing DOC chip size is possible too, if you'll correctly transfer IPL/SPL to it and create partitions before soldering.

Hi Mamaich, how is the ROM progressing? How has the first week with 128MB gone. Could you let us know how much the upgrade affects the speed and also the battery life?

Also are there any assembly/disassembly instructions for the device. Don't seem to be any on the wiki or indeed the form.

Thanks again for the great ork and keep us posted.

mamaich

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 29, 2004
mamaich-eng.blogspot.ru
Rom is ready, I just don't want to publish it before fixing the G4 issue. This needs some time.
Stability is fine, 70Mb of free RAM when IE and other memory-intensive apps are running is really great. I have not noticed the battery life decrease. I use 2600 mA extended battery, and charge it every 2 days as before upgrade.

catch-22

Nov 4, 2007
Manila
Rom is ready, I just don't want to publish it before fixing the G4 issue. This needs some time.
Still we consider it as done, although sourcing for chip & soldering is another problem! Thanks & congratulations for another milestone in PPC dev & hacking courtesy of you Sir mamaich!

With the limited Uni storage solved, this "old" device is a candidate for longevity & usability like the Himalaya that has survived 4 Windows CE ROM's.

I'm curious if the patch can coexist with the "unharnessed" 22Mb memory (Flash Disk) in G3 devices, just in case ROM cooks finally makes it standard for G3 devices? This is forward thinking on a fully loaded Universal.

Sir, thank you once again & also to all who have in one way or another contributed this success!