Discuss Upgrading Raider (Bell/Rogers) to ICS

Search This thread

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!
After reading for the last 2 days, I am still unsure of exactly how to upgrade my Raider (Canadian) to ICS. There are probably others trying to work out the same. So, to avoid the problem of having noobish questions asked repeatedly in multiple other threads, I have created this thread. If the thread is active, I will try to keep the first couple posts updated to minimize the need to read through multiple pages!

If you are a Dev or experienced, knowledgeable user, I'm sure you see the benefit to answering once in a proper thread.

My thoughts so far:
1. Back everything up and fully charge your device.
2. Have a plan for what you will do if this fails and you brick your device.
2. Unlock your bootloader and Root your device. Link To Slapshot30's Superguide
4. Turn off security on your device (S-OFF) Link to Juopunutbear S-OFF Thread
5. Change your carrier id to "SuperCID" jmone's post on checking and changing your CID
6. Relock your bootloader.

7. This is the step I am unsure of... People seem to use some terms interchangeably, but I'm not sure it is reliable. For example, HBOOT, boot.img and kernal. I think the first two are synonymous but I'm not sure kernal is the same? Since there is no Bell or Rogers ICS, we are going to use another carrier's stock, or more likely, a custom ROM. I have read that you need to replace the HBOOT (boot.img?) with one that is a match for the ROM you wish to install. I think a match generally will be found by (ideally) using the HBOOT recommended by the ROM dev, or secondarily, using the HBOOT for the same carrier and same OS (eg if a rom is based on AT&T 2.3.7, then using the HBOOT extracted from the stock AT&T GB 2.3.7 RUU would work). So, we need to clarify the steps here for HBOOT/boot.img (and kernal?)

8. Install ICS ROM!

For those that have been successful in applying ICS to their Canadian Raider, please provide precise, detailed explanation of how you did it!

DEV's & other experts, your input would be appreciated. In return, you'll minimize pages of unwanted posts elsewhere!

Last edited:
Reactions: johnaguilar22

mohcho

Feb 8, 2008
Almost glad that I haven't been checking XDA in a while only to come back and see the s-off is working now. Awesome.

ideaLduK

Feb 16, 2012
Victoriaville
After updating my Bell Raider to ICS, I noticed nothing bad except one thing : when I'm in call, the other person I'm talking to is complaining about some feedback thru my phone. They say they hear themselves.

Anyone has the same issue?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using xda premium

formicae

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
After updating my Bell Raider to ICS, I noticed nothing bad except one thing : when I'm in call, the other person I'm talking to is complaining about some feedback thru my phone. They say they hear themselves.

My guess is this will get resolved once Rogers releases their ICS OTA/RUU and we have a proper Rogers radio.img.

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I just updated the superguide and it should work for all carriers. The basis of it for carriers other than AT&T is....
lock bootloader
run GB RUU for whichever carrier
unlock bootloader
S OFF
flash wcx recovery
update to international ICS hboot
flash wcx recovery
flash custom kernel + ROM

Reactions: Mad Medik

Mad Medik

Jan 28, 2006
The Hammer!
If the radio really is the issue, since bell and rogers share identical protocols and frequencies you will be able to use the bell radio. Bell has announced released in june, so if rogers doesn't parallel back you can get s-off and then just apply the new bell radio.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

ideaLduK

Feb 16, 2012
Victoriaville
I just updated the superguide and it should work for all carriers. The basis of it for carriers other than AT&T is....
lock bootloader
unlock bootloader
S OFF
flash wcx recovery
flash wcx recovery

So that way we would keep our radio, right?

Sent from my HTC Raider 4G LTE running ICS.

903tex

Mar 22, 2010
Tyler, Texas
Moto G Stylus 5G
Well I have the att vivid using red pocket. This is what I did. When I got phone it was already running ics.

Unlock bootloader
Installed wcxrecovery and flash wcx ics 3.6
You can stop right there if your using att vivid. But I continued and
S-off
Super cid

Pretty simple as the superguide wasn't updated when I did it but I just read up before installing anything. Took me an hour to do everything now I have a awesome phone that I traded for a skyrocket for. No regrets

Bajio20

Feb 5, 2012
Toronto
www.Bejinariu.ca
Raider ICS Update

I started off with the Rogers HTC Holiday and in a span of a day I managed to complete the entire unlock procedure thanks to SUPERGUIDE and the thread on ICS HBoot update. This was the most complicated device I have ever unlocked amongst HTC Pyramid z710a and the HD2. I hope ROGERS releases this RUU soon! Installing Dark Raider 1.4.2 as I type!! :))):):D

slapshot30

Feb 21, 2010
Nebraska
I started off with the Rogers HTC Holiday and in a span of a day I managed to complete the entire unlock procedure thanks to SUPERGUIDE and the thread on ICS HBoot update. This was the most complicated device I have ever unlocked amongst HTC Pyramid z710a and the HD2. I hope ROGERS releases this RUU soon! Installing Dark Raider 1.4.2 as I type!! :))):):D

Which thread do you mean by the one for hboot update? The one where you change the cid values and such?

dwsr

Dec 20, 2010
Aurora
I'm running DarkRaider 1.4 on a Rogers Raider. I followed the steps for the S-OFF you linked in your post, then flashed WCX recovery via the Vivid AIO tool (check the Dev forum, it's stickied). After that, I just flashed the ROM via recovery, no problems.

Other than a few ROM specific bugs, I haven't had a problem. I'm still waiting for Visual Voicemail to work though.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading for the last 2 days, I am still unsure of exactly how to upgrade my Raider (Canadian) to ICS. There are probably others trying to work out the same. So, to avoid the problem of having noobish questions asked repeatedly in multiple other threads, I have created this thread. If the thread is active, I will try to keep the first couple posts updated to minimize the need to read through multiple pages!

If you are a Dev or experienced, knowledgeable user, I'm sure you see the benefit to answering once in a proper thread.

My thoughts so far:
    1. Back everything up and fully charge your device.
    2. Have a plan for what you will do if this fails and you brick your device.
    2. Unlock your bootloader and Root your device. Link To Slapshot30's Superguide
    4. Turn off security on your device (S-OFF) Link to Juopunutbear S-OFF Thread
    5. Change your carrier id to "SuperCID" jmone's post on checking and changing your CID
    6. Relock your bootloader.

7. This is the step I am unsure of... People seem to use some terms interchangeably, but I'm not sure it is reliable. For example, HBOOT, boot.img and kernal. I think the first two are synonymous but I'm not sure kernal is the same? Since there is no Bell or Rogers ICS, we are going to use another carrier's stock, or more likely, a custom ROM. I have read that you need to replace the HBOOT (boot.img?) with one that is a match for the ROM you wish to install. I think a match generally will be found by (ideally) using the HBOOT recommended by the ROM dev, or secondarily, using the HBOOT for the same carrier and same OS (eg if a rom is based on AT&T 2.3.7, then using the HBOOT extracted from the stock AT&T GB 2.3.7 RUU would work). So, we need to clarify the steps here for HBOOT/boot.img (and kernal?)

8. Install ICS ROM!

For those that have been successful in applying ICS to their Canadian Raider, please provide precise, detailed explanation of how you did it!

DEV's & other experts, your input would be appreciated. In return, you'll minimize pages of unwanted posts elsewhere!
    lock bootloader
    unlock bootloader
    S OFF
    flash wcx recovery
    flash wcx recovery