Problems with GPS: Myth or fact?

Search This thread

dunderball

Jul 7, 2012
I notice that some people have reported their S3's to receive poor GPS signal or that their phones can not lock onto a location at all, even to the point of having to return their phones. This paranoia had also struck me, and I noticed that I began to have problems too. However, I realized that at some point (for me personally) it had nothing to do with the phone. I just wanted to provide some tips as to how to improve GPS or use it more properly.

1. You need a line of sight to the satellites from your phone. That means that being in the middle of midtown Manhattan, you're likely to not get a signal. That also means that if you're in the middle of your living room, don't also expect to magically receive a GPS lock. It just doesn't work that way.

2. While it's controversial whether or not bad weather affects GPS signals, I notice that heavy clouds and poor weather affects my phone's ability to lock on at all.

3. If you're in an area where you can't get a lock (i.e. Midtown Manhattan, etc), turn on Google Location Services. This will always put you within a 500-1000 meter radius of where you are (in which case you would just read a map the old fashioned way).

4. I almost never have a problem locking on a location within 5 seconds while driving on a clear day, outside of the city. If your GPS and Google Navigation still does not work in this situation, you probably really have an issue.

5. During my paranoia, I cleared cache/data for Google Framework Services (warning: this will remove your sync account) and uninstalled updates to Maps and reinstalled. That may help if you've been flashing back and forth between roms.

Hope these simple tips might help some people out.

Reactions: corbn89

Tarpit_Carnivore

Apr 13, 2010
I don't know if it's because I leave GPS and Location services on all the time but I've never had an issue with GPS lock with this phone whether I'm in the burbs or in a city.

Boss428man

Mar 13, 2008
Boston
Yesterday I was in open line of site in Fitchburg MA, I had the GPS on for 20 minutes as I was scrambling for and event. It just would not lock at all. When I do get a lock. Yesterday same day driving 2 hours to Cape Cod (105 miles of open space) it would lock work good for a couple minutes then lag for a few seconds to minutes and not move then just jump and update. (Says GPS signal lost.) Sometimes it would then put me on side streets and struggle for find that I was still on 495 South. It did this when whole way. I knew where I was going so it wasn't a problem but there is something up and I am interested in finding out what. BTW this started after the first OTA update from Verizon.

rmtobler

Sep 21, 2010
If you have problems with gps get a replacement phone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

loonie01

Mar 12, 2009
Detroit
A lot of people don't know is to turn on wifi first. You will get a lock on in seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Rams99

Sep 23, 2012
Even when I was in line of sight and with wifi on. My s3 wouldn't get a gps signal or lock on. My wife's Rezound did. So, I called Verizon and they sent me a replacement and now everything is fine. It was the hardware in my first one that was the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

AngryGibson

Jan 30, 2012
Los Angeles
Yesterday I was in open line of site in Fitchburg MA, I had the GPS on for 20 minutes as I was scrambling for and event. It just would not lock at all. When I do get a lock. Yesterday same day driving 2 hours to Cape Cod (105 miles of open space) it would lock work good for a couple minutes then lag for a few seconds to minutes and not move then just jump and update. (Says GPS signal lost.) Sometimes it would then put me on side streets and struggle for find that I was still on 495 South. It did this when whole way. I knew where I was going so it wasn't a problem but there is something up and I am interested in finding out what. BTW this started after the first OTA update from Verizon.
Exact same issue with me. I haven't tried it bout lately because it pissed me off. I started using GPS status and toolbox and beginning to calibrate and update things. Hopefully its better now. Unfortunately, I cant get a replacement because I bought the phone off contract on eBay (just like I always do).

Div033

Aug 17, 2010
Tough to sign onto wifi on the highway

You don't have to. For some reason enabling WiFi alone will improve the GPS's ability to get a lock. Though this isn't always the case, its one of the first things I do when I have trouble getting a lock.

loonie01

Mar 12, 2009
Detroit
Yeah I don't understand it also but when I flash a new ROM, I would go to google maps. At that time I would not get a GPS lock until I turn on Wifi. GPS status app also helps with a good GPS lock.

Imatoasta

Nov 18, 2011
You don't have to. For some reason enabling WiFi alone will improve the GPS's ability to get a lock. Though this isn't always the case, its one of the first things I do when I have trouble getting a lock.

It's getting a rough location estimate from access points when your turn WiFi on. WiFi location doesn't have anything to do with GPS. This will only work if you're by access points.

socalwrxx

Jul 8, 2011
I've had problems since day one of owning this phone. I've owned a droid 1 and droid 3. My og droid honestly never failed to lock almost instantly whether in my house or on the road. Its a shame to get such a new phone and have issues like this. Multiple threads show many users are having the same issues. I've tried fixes, clearing caches, flashing new roms and nothing.

Jarredw

Jul 1, 2012
San Diego

Hans5849

Apr 11, 2012
I suspect the Chinese are setting up random gps blockers tuned specifically to the S3. /conspiracy theory

b4silver

Jun 19, 2012
All I know is that I can never get it to work. Ever.

My Nexus 10 is better than your tablet. Hah.

unique77

Apr 22, 2011
As stated before if you have problems then get the phone replaced. I have never had a single problem getting a lock at all and I live in the cities.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
As stated before if you have problems then get the phone replaced. I have never had a single problem getting a lock at all and I live in the cities.

Same, its probably the rom they're on. Even on 4.2.1 I get GPS though (not inside, but I can on TW roms).
OP: I can get a lock inside my living room :cool:

potato salad

Jan 6, 2013
My GPS locks 20% of the time...outside on a clear day in Cali. Not sure what to do anymore. I've tried everything I read on here but returning it. I have a feeling they'll just give me a used refurbished phone so I hesitate to do it.

dohturdima

Jan 6, 2011
I can safely say that S3 gps is the best I've had out of all the smartphones I used. I am frequently in midtown Manhattan and it locks there within 10 seconds, and it works in my livingroom :)

Droid316

Oct 30, 2010
Every time I load a new Rom I open up gps status toolbox get a lock instantly then open maps to locate me then I never have any trouble after that at all.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tightening the screws fixed my problems!!

My VZW Samsung Galaxy S3 (GS3) has had a crappy GPS signal from DAY ONE. coming from my DX, i noticed the difference instantly, and just chalked it up to different phone being crappier - in this regard.

the sat strength was always spotty and would lose the location fix regularly while driving. i've done everything.... i mean everything, to try and fix this... gps fix, deleting aGPS data, clearing framework data, reinstalling/uninstalling gmaps like 20 times, switching to CM10.1, AOKP, SYNERGY ROM, odin to back to stock, new kernels, you name it i've done it. Honestly, i have spent countless hours trying to get to the root of the problem.

the results were always mixed, sometimes appearing to be "better" for a few days, then deteriorating back to the original state. so i assumed it was always due to my tinkering and the software updates.

in GPStest i never really got a sat signal of greater than 25-30. and it would take sometimes 5-10 minutes for a lock in the best outdoor conditions, and even then the phone would struggle to hold a fix.

i was at my wits end when i read this thread where it said "try tightening the screws on the back". i thought - ah not gonna do anything, and didnt bother. until this morning, i was walking by the IT guys desk and saw a micro screw driver laying out.... so i borrowed it and tightened all the screws. some of the screws went about one full turn. most went only half to 3/4 of a turn.

i walked outside the office and fired up GPStest. oh my god, i almost screamed. 8 Sats in 3 seconds - ALL with signal strengths of 40+!!!! i have NEVER, EVER seen a signal above 30 on this phone, and even 30 would only be maybe 1 sat for a minute or two max. honestly, from my cube the middle of the office right now, i have a fix, with 15-20db signal on 6 sats, this is like the best i could do before if i OUTDOORS.

BOTTOM LINE: if you have GPS signal issues, TRY TIGHTENING THE DAMN SCREWS!!! it was worth it. so worth it.
    Simple mechanical GPS fix involving tightening the back frame of the phone

Hi,

I have a simple GPS fix that worked for me. I'd like to mention that the solution may not work for all but it did work for me after I tried just about every fix possible. For example I flashed back to stock, performed numerous battery pulls, used many of the AGPS patches, made numerous edits to the gps.conf file, reprovisioned my phone, checked different ROMs, uninstalled/reinstalled Google Maps, cleared data for Google Maps and Google Service Framework, and so on.

I tried all of the above methods because my GPS would take forever to get a fix both indoors and outdoors (I know it usually takes longer to get a fix indoors), wouldn't hold the fix while navigating and my GPS apps kept stating "Searching for GPS", would see 20+ satellites but would never lock on to them...man it was really frustrating. I just about gave up.

However, as I was trying to follow another procedure to fix my GPS which required me to pull my battery I noticed that when I removed my back cover that the back frame that has all the screws was slightly loose on the left side. Once I tightened them all up my GPS worked immediately! I've tested for a day and I consistently got a lock on the satellites in about 2-15 seconds depending on my location. My navigation also worked and wouldn't cut in and out.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but I would recommend that if you have a GS3 definitely check the back frame of your phone and make sure everything is secure. I've tried my GPS on the stock and CM 10 stable ROMs and I have achieved GPS locks consistently.

I hope this helps. Maybe this has already been shared but I figured I would post in case some of you haven't seen it yet.

Cheers.
    gps fix read here and worked on three different phones ive done it on

I can't find the original post, because I cannot remember in which thread it was on.

A fellow xda member said he looked at the screws on his wife's s3 and notices they were loose. He then said he simply tightened them and was getting instant lock.

After fighting with all the software fixes and patches I could find, & thinking that sounded like a goofy reason the GPS wouldn't work. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot.

Lock in seconds, and never loose Nav on the road. Have done it to three of my buddies other phones and they thought I was nuts, but it works.

I'll give all the credit to the CDA member once I find that post. Tighten your screws and you will see a drastic drastic difference!!

Edit: I found it!
    syintiphic
    A lot of people don't know is to turn on wifi first. You will get a lock on in seconds.

Tough to sign onto wifi on the highway
    Been having GPS problems for a long, long time on my S3. Happened on this post today.

It is true. I tightened the screws and now GPS works perfectly. Get fix in one or two seconds every time now. I am also getting 19 of 22 satellites connected and accuracy is at 10 feet which I think is the very best you can get.

Amazing, but true. Thanks.