[Q] Galaxy Note 3 Gets Hot

Search This thread

punkassjbrewster

Sep 9, 2012
Since taking the Verizon over-the-air update to Android 4.4 Kit Kat I have noticed it gets hot - not a problem prior to the update. I notice it while playing SlotoMania, watching videos on MX Player or just browsing Facebook posts. These apps are not new and my phone didn't overheat prior to the update.

Has anyone else experienced this?

armeN0317

Jun 3, 2011
There is more to this than meets the eye. I am on NC2 leak and suffer from this issue. What I have noticed is when the phone gets extremely hot it starts to drain battery VERY fast as well. I mean 10% in a about a min. It also becomes very unresponsive and laggy. I have to shutdown and do a battery pull and everything comes back to normal. I feel like there is a specific app or even that triggers it but can't quite narrow it down. It happens about once or twice a day for me. It is very annoying never happened before getting on NC2. I'm hoping once we get find a way to upgrade to NC4 this will go away.

EDIT: I just noticed you are not on NC2 and took the OTA. I am experiencing this on NC2 so this give me no hope in NC4. Maybe a reflash or factory reset might do the trick.

manatti

Mar 20, 2009
There is more to this than meets the eye. I am on NC2 leak and suffer from this issue. What I have noticed is when the phone gets extremely hot it starts to drain battery VERY fast as well. I mean 10% in a about a min. It also becomes very unresponsive and laggy. I have to shutdown and do a battery pull and everything comes back to normal. I feel like there is a specific app or even that triggers it but can't quite narrow it down. It happens about once or twice a day for me. It is very annoying never happened before getting on NC2. I'm hoping once we get find a way to upgrade to NC4 this will go away.

EDIT: I just noticed you are not on NC2 and took the OTA. I am experiencing this on NC2 so this give me no hope in NC4. Maybe a reflash or factory reset might do the trick.

This has happened to me and I unfreeze everything in tibu except the VZW bloat and I have yet to have this happen battery is still good ram still good and everything is fine no more slow down no more heating I keep my phone with Bluetooth on and the gear watch and still getting over 3 hours screen time awesome

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

maddigital

Dec 5, 2006
Im in this boat... Tried all the NC2 roms available and always the same. Works for a while fine but then all 4 CPUs continuously run over 50% (I can see this in Hyperdrive Rom) until I reboot. Tried killing apps, freeing memory, going into airplane mode, turning off GPS and nothing affects it. Like if its a kernel memory crash happening. Screen will be come unresponsive every 3-4 seconds yet background animations like livewallpaper keep running. In Battery it shows that the google services is eating the battery.

I have flashed back to 4.3 about 3 times now and I am always successful in getting the phone to work normally on 4.3 but no 4.4 NC2 rom agrees with my hardware. Ive even tried the MJE Radio as I thought it may have something to do with it as whenever I use my phone on NC2, it gets hot and cools down after .. Phone doesn't even warm up on 4.3 :( As more people experience this with NC4/NC2 hopefully someone will find the cause..

I will flash back to 4.3 sometime soon as the phone getting soo hot with normal usage is uncomfortable..

armeN0317

Jun 3, 2011
Im in this boat... Tried all the NC2 roms available and always the same. Works for a while fine but then all 4 CPUs continuously run over 50% (I can see this in Hyperdrive Rom) until I reboot. Tried killing apps, freeing memory, going into airplane mode, turning off GPS and nothing affects it. Like if its a kernel memory crash happening. Screen will be come unresponsive every 3-4 seconds yet background animations like livewallpaper keep running. In Battery it shows that the google services is eating the battery.

I have flashed back to 4.3 about 3 times now and I am always successful in getting the phone to work normally on 4.3 but no 4.4 NC2 rom agrees with my hardware. Ive even tried the MJE Radio as I thought it may have something to do with it as whenever I use my phone on NC2, it gets hot and cools down after .. Phone doesn't even warm up on 4.3 :( As more people experience this with NC4/NC2 hopefully someone will find the cause..

I will flash back to 4.3 sometime soon as the phone getting soo hot with normal usage is uncomfortable..

I'm with you in that I feel like its a kernal issue. I'm just surprised more people have not come into light with this issue but I guess Kitkat is very fresh to the general public.

BigMcGuire

Nov 29, 2010
California
I'm with you in that I feel like its a kernal issue. I'm just surprised more people have not come into light with this issue but I guess Kitkat is very fresh to the general public.

Or those of us like myself hated the worse reception we got and ODIN'ed back to MJE. :p I got 0 signal where I usually got 2 bars and 3G where I always had LTE. MJE ftw. I guess that's why they came out with NC4 so quickly?

sqjzb

Mar 28, 2012
that's ..

if u installed Wanam xposed,

go to advanced, and turn off the touchwiz DVFS.

what it does is that it boosts the cpu and all, to pull the maximum performance, but only for very short term, as I hear.

also, I checked it off, and never had heat issues other than me rebooting about 7 times in a row.

manatti

Mar 20, 2009
Alright this is going to sounds silly but I live in an area where my service sucks. Actually every carrier does (best friends were in town and both had att and sprint iPhone and had worse service than me) I also use a network extender. So today I decided to turn band 4 off since I'm not in a band 4 area and not only am I at 4 hours screen time today but I'm still at 36 percent and no hot phone. I'll report of anything changes

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app