S5 rooted, now what?

Search This thread

eragon5779

Dec 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
LG G8
Er, please take this in a spirit of wishing you well... if you have to ask about the difference between root, bootloader, and recovery, you really are better off not rooting unless you have a very specific and very limited goal in mind. Rooting your device permits you to assume god-like powers over your phone's file structure, files, and their contents. As supersuser, do the wrong thing and you could brick your phone or at least seriously degrade its capabilities.

Again, if you have to ask, you're better off letting this one go. [/smile]

Yep. Even if you know what you are doing, there is always a risk. I already soft bricked mine. FYI, flashing the multi cert on Verizon S5 actually made it run faster and smoother. However, I wouldn't do it unless you have to. So, if you soft brick, download the multi cert in the forums somewhere.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

skydeaner

Sep 29, 2008
champaign
xda.chambanatech.com
Extract the .zip file and look inside the "common" folder. There should be a file named "Superuser.apk" that will install like a normal app. You have to allow app installations from outside sources if you haven't already.

Yeah i didn't notice there was an apk in there either.

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

Details on the pin bypass procedure?

I downloaded the 6.0 email apk and exchange apk and put them in the system / app folder. Now what? I get errors if I try to run those apks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Where were they from? Sounds like they were linked need some framework or library files to make work.

overbyc1

Nov 1, 2006
Coastal NC
Yeah i didn't notice there was an apk in there either.

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 AM ----------

Where were they from? Sounds like they were linked need some framework or library files to make work.
I used this version.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1749921

I'm betting there is something I'm not disabling. As the things I'm told to freeze are not found anywhere. I did freeze the stock email app though.

cbrehob

Jan 9, 2012
updates

logically, you should avoid any vzw updates. SU may fail, but it still works. try running a rooted app. it will ask you to grant permission. I just removed over 12 apps that vzw forced on my phone.

What's funny about this is that I've received 0 updates from Verizon on the Galaxy S5 since it's purchase. Guaranteed they start flying out now once the news of the S5 being rooted spreads.

cmcg86

May 8, 2014
info on rooting

Sure, but I cannot guarantee you won't have any issues. I managed to remove a decent amount of bloat apps and rebooted successfully. I will list them below.

- Google +
- Google Books
- Google Play Music
- Audible
- VZW protection
- Messaging +
- Amazon
- Kindle
- Amazon Appstore
- IMDB
- VZW ringtones
- VZW protection and support
- Isis Wallet

and a few more that I cannot remember. I hope this helps.

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

Wouldn't the bootloader need to be unlocked first?

hey mate can i get some help from you. Ive been and ios user for years. Ive switched to samsung and have the s5 international. All i wanted to do was delete all the bloatware from my phone to have access to the memory ram i want. What would be the steps to doing this.

Rooting first? do i need to install extra apps, files? new to this so please go easy. Only ever rooted one phone before. Cheers

chrisbass

Jun 19, 2011
Norwich
www.pinchingmypalm.com
hey mate can i get some help from you. Ive been and ios user for years. Ive switched to samsung and have the s5 international. All i wanted to do was delete all the bloatware from my phone to have access to the memory ram i want. What would be the steps to doing this.

Rooting first? do i need to install extra apps, files? new to this so please go easy. Only ever rooted one phone before. Cheers

Yes, first off root is required. I would recommend buying titanium backup pro and root explorer, two apps that I feel are root essentials. There are a couple other threads about removing bloat and which bloat is safe to remove. Sorry I don't have a step by step solution but this'll be a good start

RBEmerson

Jul 15, 2012
SE PA
Install towelroot.apk, SuperSU v1.99r4, and Root Checker Basic (from Play store). Run the v1.99r4 SuperSU, reboot, and use Root Checker to confirm you're rooted.

I strongly recommend using Titanium backup (Play store) to first freeze the bloatware you want to remove before actually uninstalling it.

And, of course, rooting can break things. If you have doubts, don't do it.

Reactions: BSquaredB2

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
Anyone got viper4andriod fx working,I've got it installed with driver,driver status is all good expect for processing,I just want to boost my system audio,followed all the set ups on the thread,maybe the kernel is not compatible?I've always used it on custom roms,any help would be appriciated,I've changed build prop like it tells you,tried compatable mode with audio settings off on viper ,tried normal mode with viper on in system sound settings,tried forcing viper ,installed as system app,and user app,I'm out of options.

eragon5779

Dec 1, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
LG G8
Anyone got viper4andriod fx working,I've got it installed with driver,driver status is all good expect for processing,I just want to boost my system audio,followed all the set ups on the thread,maybe the kernel is not compatible?I've always used it on custom roms,any help would be appriciated,I've changed build prop like it tells you,tried compatable mode with audio settings off on viper ,tried normal mode with viper on in system sound settings,tried forcing viper ,installed as system app,and user app,I'm out of options.

I had an issue with it. You can't use the stock music app. I use Rocket Player and have no issues.

Sent from my ROOTED white SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
I had an issue with it. You can't use the stock music app. I use Rocket Player and have no issues.

It works with MX player,but that when I'm playing audio or video files from srorage,but I'm looking to boost system audio like when you tap on keyboard or press back button,I know when I've used viper4andriod in custom roms and used the extra loud option,and switch between slight,moderate,or extreme I could hear it as I selected them,so with rocket player that will allow that,or it will do what mx player is already doing?

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

And I have a audio uI file with all the AOSP sound like the key tick and the lock sound and few others if anyone's interested,it's just a file I made of .ogg files you just copy it to your system/media/audio/ui and combine it works perfect,and all the original sounds are still there just as a .ogg.bak. let me know if anyone's interested

ldeveraux

Nov 20, 2008
Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet
Nexus Q

It absolutely works on the stock music app.

But you didn't say if you were trying to boost speaker, bt, headphones, etc. Just put a check next to master power and extra loud if trying to boost the speaker, then restart.

elliwigy

Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
XDA App Taskforce

my rom is severely debloated (only 618mb) but i have not added viper yet.. ricks rom has viper installed and working.. its on my to do list

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium HD app

djmouse

Dec 12, 2012
atlantic city
It absolutely works on the stock music app.

But you didn't say if you were trying to boost speaker, bt, headphones, etc. Just put a check next to master power and extra loud if trying to boost the speaker, then restart.
I've tried that,it doesn't work for me,boosting the speaker that is,are you forcing viper?using compatible mode or normal?and if in sound settings/advanced /music fx, are you using sound alive,music fx,or viper?and did you do the build prop changes,I've tried it every witch way and can't get any boost on speaker.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

my rom is severely debloated (only 618mb) but i have not added viper yet.. ricks rom has viper installed and working.. its on my to do list

Yea I'm trying to stay as close to stock only getting rid of att bloat,I actually use a lot of the Samsung features,so with root,safe strap,and xposed I don't really need to flash a rom (yet).and I read something about not being able to flash roms with safe strap yet,or something with the slots,didn't fully look into it as I really just needed it for making backups.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

And I just realized I'm in the Verizon thread lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have never run a stock OS rooted. Always AOKP or CM. What should we do now?
    -How to we protect it to make sure VZW doesn't somehow patch it?
    -Tethering without Foxfi now possible. See below.
    -SuperSu info - see below.
    -What will we need to do about updates?
    -What else?

Read below. I'm adding helpful info as it is collected.

GeoHot (and others), you are the man (men). Thanks guys. All bounty pledgers, pay up!

If you need to root your S5, go here. Donate as well! http://towelroot.com/

** No, Root does not allow us to unlock the bootloader. They are entirely different. I personally have not heard of anyone working on that. Most knowledgeable people I have heard say it would require a leak of the keys from Verizon. **

***Below are apps and/or tweaks (not obvious ones) known to work by me or someone else that has tested***
    -Xposed Framework
    ----X Tether (Free tethering)!
    ----Wanam Xposed - Free tethering option does NOT work for me. Others report it does.
    -Super SU 2.0 in Play store now works. Link below no longer needed.
    ----use this version http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip
    Er, please take this in a spirit of wishing you well... if you have to ask about the difference between root, bootloader, and recovery, you really are better off not rooting unless you have a very specific and very limited goal in mind. Rooting your device permits you to assume god-like powers over your phone's file structure, files, and their contents. As supersuser, do the wrong thing and you could brick your phone or at least seriously degrade its capabilities.

Again, if you have to ask, you're better off letting this one go. [/smile]
    Safestrap is next: you'll be able to run custom ROMs but not custom kernels, so TW builds but not AOSP (unless the S5 GPE is built on a TW kernel, as the original 4.2.2 S4 GPE ROM was). I wouldn't actually delete any APKs from your device; just freeze them with Titanium.
    chainfire needs to update app before well b able to update it.. it still has root and works so be patient.. we cant keep vzw/samsung from patching it on future devices but it will take them a bit of time so id imagine later updates and newer phones yet to come out would be patched.. now we enjoy root until someone down the road (hopefully) gets us custom recovery for custom roms but lets not jump the gun here, we just got root so let the devs enjoy that feat lol

He already updated SU HERE: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

chainfire needs to update app before well b able to update it.. it still has root and works so be patient.. we cant keep vzw/samsung from patching it on future devices but it will take them a bit of time so id imagine later updates and newer phones yet to come out would be patched.. now we enjoy root until someone down the road (hopefully) gets us custom recovery for custom roms but lets not jump the gun here, we just got root so let the devs enjoy that feat lol

I have never run a stock OS rooted. Always AOKP or CM. What should we do now?
    -How to we protect it to make sure VZW doesn't somehow patch it?
    -I assume we can enable native tethering without FoxFi?
    -I know there is some chatter about SuperSu. It fails to update. Need a new version from Chainfire?
    -What will we need to do about updates?
    -What else?

GeoHot (and others), you are the man (men). Thanks guys. All bounty pledgers, pay up!

SU updated here: http://download.chainfire.eu/447/SuperSU/UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip