[Q] Android Firewall not working.

Search This thread

Anybodysguess

Oct 15, 2013
EDIT: for anyone searching the forum for this problem, it seems either on KitKat or just the Moto G, I'm not sure which if you use a firewall "apps running as root" must be given data permissions or else data will not initialize. Giving this data uses about 300kb a month, so no problem with it eating any data.

I have scoured the internet for an answer to my problem and couldn't find one, so here it is.

I am on PagePlus, on the $12 plan, so only 10Mb of data, I use it, on my old phone Droid X2 I rooted and installed droidwall, then I could use mms, and opera mini pretty much as much as I wanted on that 10Mb :laugh: !

I converted a Boost mobile Moto G over to Page Plus, it went great, but on this phone android firewalls, like droidwall and others, don't work quite right.

The 3G doesn't seem to quite "initialize"?
My normal procedure to use opera mini is to open settings, now a quick setting on the moto g, toggle data, go to opera mini, and browse away.
Now it acquires 3G instantly, not 1X or anything, but opera mini says it doesn't have page failed to load.

Now if I go to droidwall, toggle the firewall off, go back to opera mini, look up a page, go back to droid wall and toggle firewall back on I can keep browsing even after it is back on, for that session (3G session, not Opera mini session I think, but am not sure). This uses only about 100 kb of data, and I can do this if I have to, but it will add up and end up using up quite a bit.

I can provide droidwall logs and whatnot if I have to.
Also tried giving kernel and lunux data, no go.

Thanks,
Anybodysguess

Last edited:

johninor

Jan 22, 2012
I have scoured the internet for an answer to my problem and couldn't find one, so here it is.

I am on PagePlus, on the $12 plan, so only 10Mb of data, I use it, on my old phone Droid X2 I rooted and installed droidwall, then I could use mms, and opera mini pretty much as much as I wanted on that 10Mb :laugh: !

I converted a Boost mobile Moto G over to Page Plus, it went great, but on this phone android firewalls, like droidwall and others, don't work quite right.

My normal procedure to use opera mini is to open settings, now a quick setting on the moto g, toggle data, go to opera mini, and browse away.
Now it acquires 3G instantly, not 1X or anything, but opera mini says it doesn't have page failed to load.

Now if I go to droidwall, toggle the firewall off, go back to opera mini, look up a page, go back to droid wall and toggle firewall back on I can keep browsing even after it is back on, for that session (3G session, not Opera mini session I think, but am not sure). This uses only about 100 kb of data, and I can do this if I have to, but it will add up and end up using up quite a bit.

Thanks,
Anybodysguess

I thought that development had stopped on droidwall a while back. I was using it on my previous phone running Anroid 2.3, but I switched to AFWall+ when I got my Moto G. The firewall is so tightly tied to Android, that it makes sense to be using a firewall that is being actively developed. As the Android version changes, the firewall developer needs to adjust the firewall.

That said, when I switched to AFWall+, I was on version 1.2.7 and it was working fine. When I tried updating to 1.3 versions, I had problems with it not blocking things. So I have reverted to 1.2.7 and sticking with it until I see evidence that the problem is fixed. Development seems to have slowed on it, so I'm not holding my breath. I had a Titanium backup that I went back to. I don't know how you would go about getting an earlier version. The play store has 1.3.1.1 in it now.

Anybodysguess

Oct 15, 2013
I thought that development had stopped on droidwall a while back. I was using it on my previous phone running Anroid 2.3, but I switched to AFWall+ when I got my Moto G. The firewall is so tightly tied to Android, that it makes sense to be using a firewall that is being actively developed. As the Android version changes, the firewall developer needs to adjust the firewall.

That said, when I switched to AFWall+, I was on version 1.2.7 and it was working fine. When I tried updating to 1.3 versions, I had problems with it not blocking things. So I have reverted to 1.2.7 and sticking with it until I see evidence that the problem is fixed. Development seems to have slowed on it, so I'm not holding my breath. I had a Titanium backup that I went back to. I don't know how you would go about getting an earlier version. The play store has 1.3.1.1 in it now.

Yes it did, it worked perfectly on my X2 so I never changed, but just after posting this I switched to AFWall+, as you were describing the current version seems not to work right, usually once I switch 3g off and back on data stops working til reboot.

If version 1.2.7 works and you could send me your titanium backup copy I would be very grateful, as I can't experiment around very much with only 10MB of data!

And yes @xips I am running 4.4.2 kitkat, the stock vzw version, froze some bloat with titanium but that is it, I did not delete any vzw crap apps yet.

lalec

Apr 30, 2008
Houston, Texas
EDIT: for anyone searching the forum for this problem, it seems either on KitKat or just the Moto G, I'm not sure which if you use a firewall "apps running as root" must be given data permissions or else data will not initialize. Giving this data uses about 300kb a month, so no problem with it eating any data.

Thanks,
Anybodysguess

On Android 4.2.2. the "apps running as root" network connection seems to be related to the mobile carrier's DNS servers. I used AFWall+ firewall logs to monitor that traffic and (at least on my phone) it was all attempted UDP traffic to DNS. My data seems to work fine though even with it disabled.