Duplicate an app

Search This thread

skylun

Mar 12, 2014
Hi all,
so in IOS its pretty easy to duplicate an app.... but i search through the web for duplicating an app on android and i cant find any guides....
Therefore, any way to do that on android devices?

E

EnricoD

Hi all,
so in IOS its pretty easy to duplicate an app.... but i search through the web for duplicating an app on android and i cant find any guides....
Therefore, any way to do that on android devices?

What You mean by "duplicate" an app??? :rolleyes:
And what is the goal of do that ?

sewer56lol

i mean making 2 same apps in a single device.
My goal is just to play 2 accounts in a single game and in the same device.

Simultaneously on 2 different accounts or separately?

I have 3 solutions I can think of:

- To Play Them Separately -
Multi User on Android
Using 2 different backup apps and restoring them to the other when you want to change

- To Play Them Simultaneously -
You would need to decompile the apk of the app you want to clone (pull it from data/app then use something like APK Multi Tools or APKTool) and change the package name under AndroidManifest.xml, recompile, push to /SDcard and install as a normal app. Then you will have a second same app you can use with the other one at any time with it's own data.

Also : Dev/WrongSection

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

skylun

Mar 12, 2014
hi

Simultaneously on 2 different accounts or separately?

I have 3 solutions I can think of:

- To Play Them Separately -
Multi User on Android
Using 2 different backup apps and restoring them to the other when you want to change

- To Play Them Simultaneously -
You would need to decompile the apk of the app you want to clone (pull it from data/app then use something like APK Multi Tools or APKTool) and change the package name under AndroidManifest.xml, recompile, push to /SDcard and install as a normal app. Then you will have a second same app you can use with the other one at any time with it's own data.

Also : Dev/WrongSection

just did the first one... actually i have been studying on rooting few hours ago and just rooted my phone 10mins ago lol... just done making another profile, but your second option is more convenient than restarting my phone everytime i wanted to switch accounts....
any video guide that i can follow?

sewer56lol

Quickly peeking over XDA I found this guide which is quite well explained for people who haven't decompiled an app before:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2341351

Steps 6-8 are unnecessary hence you're not modifying a System APP but is recommended anyway just for future use (and avoiding any problems - which shouldn't occur anyway).

Your app (assuming it's installed) should be under data/app (from root directory of the device, copy it from there to /sdcard/ and then to PC. (There are many file managers which have root access, ES File manager or Total Commander are recommended)
(Follow guide)
Once you decompile the app (will be under a folder called projects) there should be a AndroidManifest.xml in the root of the decompiled app folder, edit it (I recommend NotePad++ for many reasons, but WordPad/Notepad are still viable), the XML is in human readable format and is generally small so there should be no issues.
Somewhere there should be a package name (these 99% of the time start with com. and often include the developer name after it then the name of the app e.g. com.android.chrome or com.handlerexploit.tweedle), simply modify it to something different, save and go back to the guide to recompile.

After recompiling simply push the app back to the phone and install it through a file manager.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Also seeing you have not probably used ADB you'd need the drivers for it (as well as USB Debugging enables in phone) for APK multi tool to pull system files if you decide to do Steps 6-8 (although unnecessary).

The tool here : http://www.wugfresh.com/nrt/ has easy to do instructions on installing drivers or if you know what you're doing grab the official driver here ( http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html ) and install in device manager if your device has no driver installed there. (Do Browse manually and point it to USB_driver directory)