Media process draining battery

Search This thread

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
Hi,

Been having a battery draining issue on my 8.4, something called Media is constantly hogging the battery and in many instances is using more power than the screen. The Media icon is blue with a downward arrow and I can't find a way to stop it. I did a lot of reading about this but cant find a fix other than to remove any corrupted media files. I removed the sd card as that is the only place I keep photos and vids, but it is still killing my battery really quickly.

This isn't the mediaserver process by the way, just Media.

Any ideas please people?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I'll give the empty file thing a try tomorrow.

I did find lots of info about similar things but not quite the same. In the end, I managed to kill a couple of processes relating to the download manager and then I unmounted the sd card, rebooted and remounted and its been ok since.

Monkey Chops

Jan 23, 2014
An update on this.

The .nomedia file placed in the root of the sdcard does indeed stop the media server activity, but putting it in the root will stop any of your media files / photos etc from being visible in the gallery. I have 3 folders on the sd root, android, DCIM and one I can't re!member the name of. Adding the .nomedia file to all but the DCIM folder seems to do the trick, but I still have no media files in the gallery.

Can't seem to find a way to make it rescan the files so they appear back in the gallery, anyone know how that is done please?

Thanks again :good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't see it on my tab. maybe something baked into a 3rd party app?
    This is a well known issue especially with Samsung devices. It's the media scanner having problems with (usually) certain files on an SD card. Just Google "Media scanner causing battery drain" and you will find a fix.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    IIRC you need to store an empty file named .nomedia in the root of your SD card to stop the scanning. Don't forget the leading period.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk