★★★ NOOB GUIDE :: Root :: Odin :: Files :: Guides ★★★

Search This thread

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST POST IN IT'S ENTIRITY!!

As of July 2011, I am no longer updating this guide.
Please feel free to check here for updates (if any are made).

STEP ONE – RETURN TO STOCK JFD - USING ODIN

FOLLOW STEPS 2 - 4 :: THIS IS A GUIDE TO GO BACK TO JFD.

IT HAS ALL OF THE FILES NEEDED

I encourage you to use HashTab to verify the MD5 (verify it is a good download). These are large files – if it is NOT a good download you could really cause some issues. It takes 10 seconds – do it.

Once you are done, come back and proceed to ROOT.

GREAT, I AM ON JFD - HOW DO I ROOT?

You are likely still connected to your PC and booted up to the T-Mobile jingle. Great, drop the notification bar down and mount your phone...

There are two options here. Choose which is best for you, before you start.

ROOT ONLY METHOD:
A – This is an update.zip (633KB) that roots your phone only. You can then install Rom Manager from the Market to flash CWR (Clockwork Recovery) and install custom ROMs.

INSTALL CLOCKWORK RECOVERY AND FLASH A ROM THAT WILL GIVE ROOT ACCESS (MY PREFERRED METHOD):
B – use the other update.zip (1.7MB) and this will flash CWR for you – allowing you to immediately flash a custom ROM.. I do this because it's faster.

A: Download this update.zip file to root your phone. You plan to install Rom Manager to flash CWR and a new ROM later.

B: Download this update.zip file to flash CWR... you will need to flash a custom ROM for Root. I prefer this method.

NOW DOWNLOAD THE ROM YOU PLAN TO FLASH

Copy the update.zip (and the ROM) to the INTERNAL SD (not the external SD Card). sdcard/

Unplug the USB (assuming you are still connected after using ODIN)...

Hold down volume up + volume down + Power for about 9 seconds.

If you prefer, you can power off your phone, then hold in all 3 buttons to boot into recovery, I don't see the point in waiting for the phone to power off.

This will get you to a recovery menu (blue/purple text) after some yellow text.

In this (the stock recovery menu) select 'Reinstall Packages'

Use volume to navigate + power to select.

It will cycle a bit, you will see that yellow text again, then it will return to the stock recovery. Select Reinstall packages again.

You are now in CWR (clockwork recovery).

You can either reboot, flash your new ROM or make a backup now...
I COVER HOW TO FLASH ROMS LATER – JUST KEEP READIN BELOW

Yeah, it is that easy!! Read below for more information if needed.... but at this point you probably are done with what you came here for. I would encourage reading below for general knowledge and making sure you are doing things as easily as possible.

OKAY, I HAVE ROOT - NOW WHAT? BACKUP!!!

** Below are a list of several things I suggest backing up **

Titanium Backup – APPS

Download Titanium Backup from the Market and Open it. The Paid version is worth it's weight in gold... it does everything automagically. Buy it if you plan to flash a lot or have a lot of apps.

Click Menu > Batch
Click on "Run" by backup all user apps
Click on Run the batch operation
All your apps are now backed up.

Please note that if you backup/restore System Apps, you are asking for problems. I do not ever mess with system apps and do not encourage it - unless you plan to stay on the same build. If you do, be smart about it.

Clockwork Recovery / Nandroid Backup!

Reboot into CWR (both volume buttons held in) while booting until you see “Vibrant'

Once there, go to Backup and run that. Should take about 5 minutes, maybe more.

If all hell breaks loose, this is a snapshot of your phone at that point... it's important to do this before flashing a new ROM!

Backup your Alternate Launcher (if you use one)

If you use a home replacement like ADW or LauncherPro, you can backup your home screen settings/icons (widgets cannot be restored however).

Launcher Pro: Click Menu > Preferences... scroll down to the bottom and click on backup.
ADW EX: Menu > ADW SETTINGS > BACKUP.

Once you flash your ROM, you can now RESTORE your settings.

Rooted... Got a Backup... let the fun begin!!

WHAT ROM SHOULD I FLASH?!?!?!

This question is asked a LOT. The most often answer? Read the development section and pick the one that seems to fit you... if that does not work, backup your apps and try another. This is a very liquid process. Things change, phones are different, people tastes are different. Try and try again.

I will point out that if you have backed up your apps, moving from rom to rom is NOT a hard process. You can ODIN to JFD and have a new ROM booting in 10 minutes. Easy.

OKAY, HOW DO I FLASH A ROM?

* I typically root/flash immediately after using ODIN. This is assuming you did not.

1 – Download the ROM to your PC. ROMs are typically 140-190+MB’s. So yeah, it’s a big file.

2 – Check the MD5 if so inclined (Using Hastab – linked above).

3 – Mount phone to PC

4 – Drag ROM to root of internal memory (the large SD card where folders like the DCIM folder appears).

Should appear as: sdcard/TheRomName.zip

You DO NOT need to rename the ROM

5 – Unmount and reboot into clockwork recovery (using Rom Manager, or by pressing in both volume buttons and power… holding… and releasing power once the Vibrant logo is up).

6 – OPTIONAL (in CWR): Do a Factory Wipe, Wipe Data, & Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced menu)

7 – Go to “install zip from sd card”, select zip from sd... choose your ROM and flash it (volume keys move up/down, power selects)

8 – OPTIONAL (I do not do this): After flashing, choose to wipe data and dalvik cache

Do NOT factory wipe again

9 – Reboot phone

10 – Your new ROM is going to boot. Initial boot will take a LONG time (10 minutes maybe).

You may hear a lady's voice (Linda) converting your file system – this is normal if your ROM has the Voodoo lagfix. No worries.

Do not touch the phone for 5-10 minutes after it has booted... Seriously, Do Nothing!. . This helps clear any possible bugs. Once you've waited, reboot phone by holding in power for about 9 seconds (rough guess)... And then....

RESTORE!!

After the phone boots and you waited, go to Market, Sign-in, Approve terms, Re-install Titanium Backup. I strongly suggest the Paid version (MUCH better)

Restore all Missing Apps+Data.

Again, I really do little with System apps.. too many issues, but the green ones may be fine to restore.

Restore anything else you have. (ie launcher)

Reboot again.

I dont use Facebook, but I've been told you need to remove it and add it sometimes?

WHAT ABOUT IF THERE IS AN UPDATE TO THE ROM?

Let's assume you flashed Axura 2.2.6 and then a week later 2.2.7 is released... well, how do you update?

Easy, just download it, place it on your internal memory, backup using titanium backup, reboot to recovery, make a nandroid backup, flash the new rom and reboot.

Now... if you are going to try a new rom (not an update to your existing ROM), you may want to go back to stock first, then flash the custom rom.

Why go back to stock? Some say that if you are on one rom and go to another rom there may be ghosts left behind from the previous rom. Using ODIN to get back to stock and then flashing a ROM ensures this is not going to happen.

RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY

AFTER FLASHING A ROM IF BAD BATTERY IS NOTED

Use phone til it dies on it's own, completely dead.
Charge phone completely, plus 30 minutes longer.
Unplug phone from charger
Reconnect, you'll notice it's not full, charge till it is again.
This is bump charging and NOT something you want to do often, a few times is okay, in my opinion. You could skip the bump charge if you like.
Phone remains plugged in.
Boot into recovery (volumes + power)
Advanced > wipe battery stats, reboot.
Use phone til it's literally about to shut off (or does)
Charge till full +
Use phone like normal

Everyone has a method, that's how I feel it works best.

WORSE CASE SCENARIO - YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE - WHAT TO DO?

Almost always a phone is not actually bricked. If you can get into download mode or see ANYTHING you can ODIN back to stock and your phone is good to go.

If you are NOT able to get into download mode, please read the thread below to make a Jig!

TRY A NEW KERNEL/MODEM
New modems can increase signal and data speeds. Here is an incredible list of each thanks to XDA user scrizz.

Please pay notice to the version of android you are running (2.1, 2.2, etc.) CLICK HERE FOR A FULL LIST OF VIBRANT MODEMS

Kernels can overclock your processor, undervolt for battery, or remain stock but optimize things so the phone is snappier. These are always changing and there are always new builds coming out, so PLEASE review and make sure what you installing. These should install just like a rom... download, move to internal memory (sdcard/ ) and flash in clockwork recovery like you would a rom (install zip from sd).

NEED THE STOCK APPS BACK?

1 - Use the app BLOATER by Roman, it is found here!

THIS IS FOR THE MINORITY OF PEOPLE WHO CAN NOT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE OR STOCK RECOVERY. This used to be much more detailed, but is no longer an issue. Links saved here, just in case.
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9663212&postcount=53
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804305]

Attachments

• update.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,751
Last edited:

GreggoryD502

Sep 10, 2010
Louisville
I think that is an excellent idea. As a noob myself, its easy to get confused. Maybe a noobs guide to odin, or how to back your phone up to your pc. One can never have to much info.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using XDA App

ColorNapkin

Nov 5, 2010
Do something on ODIN. I made a nandroid backup of my stock root but I have no idea what to do with it should something go wrong.

icandy75

Aug 25, 2010
Lake Mary, Fl.
Great idea, I think most will appreciate something like this.

I think you may want to make sure you include a section about the various lagfixes. How to install, the importance of uninstalling and of course their definitions. I think it would help clear up the forums a bit.

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
I am actually NOT going to mention lag fixes at all. They are not for noobs and really do not benefit the user THAT much. If someone wants to add using lag-fixes, go for it... but it's not something I am going to recommend for a noob. With froyo especially, I consider these pointless (unless you want to see a high quadrant score).

Reactions: 1wilman

icandy75

Aug 25, 2010
Lake Mary, Fl.
Good point, maybe you'll want to mention them as evil and not meant for the weak at heart or anyone not willing to have a nice paperweight. :D
How about adding something for those new users who purchased a used phone. Maybe teach then what to look for before they flash anything.

Last edited:

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Alright, not even close to being done...but I am at a stopping point right now. Will try and pick it back up later today. Please let me know what you guys want added.

iwillkillyou

Aug 13, 2010
Great tut, but stuff like this will cause more "noobs" even with the simplicity you will get questions regarding how to do something. Lol whats your next step? Record yourself doing it, I.would die if you do.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

s15274n

Aug 12, 2009
N.C.
callip.wordpress.com
Great tut, but stuff like this will cause more "noobs" even with the simplicity you will get questions regarding how to do something. Lol whats your next step? Record yourself doing it, I.would die if you do.

Actually... I probably was going to ODIN my phone (video 1), root it (video 2) flash clockwork (video 3) and flash a rom (video 4).....

I was cautious to accept the request to make an even simpler tutorial... frankly I spent a lot of time on the sticky and if that was not enough, well... perhaps you should not be rooting. That said, by doing this it will really clean up the sticky when it's done AND I need more space since I am running out, again.

roly17

Oct 5, 2010
GA
I think that this is great thread. I did ryans oclf to root my phone, because it seemed to be the easiest way to root. I think I will undo and start over using this guide. Before There always seems to be some question popping up where I find myself wondering what was meant so I would never take the plunge into flashing a rom.This seems to be more straight forward for me. I personally would love to see the video walk through which would make everything crystal clear. Thanks for this OP

tenbeau

Apr 24, 2010
Leesburg, Fl
Thanks so much for your wonderful work. I am a nubie and I am sure it will be a great deal of help to me. Is there any way you could include what fastboot is and how to use it? And when to use it? Once again thank you for your kind and generous efforts.

roly17

Oct 5, 2010
GA
I went ahead and flashed axura 2.0.5 without any problems ( thanks to the vid on axura download page), but now I'm not sure about getting the Black froyo theme. It says to download zip and flash through clockwork recovery. Is that the same steps as flashing the rom? sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but unless it is crystal clear I am very hesitant. thanks again:confused:

sahil04

Aug 7, 2008
I went ahead and flashed axura 2.0.5 without any problems ( thanks to the vid on axura download page), but now I'm not sure about getting the Black froyo theme. It says to download zip and flash through clockwork recovery. Is that the same steps as flashing the rom? sorry in advance if this is a stupid question, but unless it is crystal clear I am very hesitant. thanks again:confused:

I think you download the zip to your internal sd card, boot into clockwork recovery and install the zip from there.

As for a ODIN guide for n00bs, not sure how much easier you can get:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnY7P14JSWQ

roly17

Oct 5, 2010
GA
Thats what i think too, but not sure. Do i click on install rom from sd card to get to the theme zip file? I tried this and it brought me into clockwork recovery(?), but the install of the zip was not obvious to me. So I just rebooted and nothing happened. I know I did something wrong , just not sure what.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST POST IN IT'S ENTIRITY!!

As of July 2011, I am no longer updating this guide.
    Please feel free to check here for updates (if any are made).

STEP ONE – RETURN TO STOCK JFD - USING ODIN

FOLLOW STEPS 2 - 4 :: THIS IS A GUIDE TO GO BACK TO JFD.

IT HAS ALL OF THE FILES NEEDED

I encourage you to use HashTab to verify the MD5 (verify it is a good download). These are large files – if it is NOT a good download you could really cause some issues. It takes 10 seconds – do it.

Once you are done, come back and proceed to ROOT.

GREAT, I AM ON JFD - HOW DO I ROOT?

You are likely still connected to your PC and booted up to the T-Mobile jingle. Great, drop the notification bar down and mount your phone...

There are two options here. Choose which is best for you, before you start.

ROOT ONLY METHOD:
    A – This is an update.zip (633KB) that roots your phone only. You can then install Rom Manager from the Market to flash CWR (Clockwork Recovery) and install custom ROMs.

INSTALL CLOCKWORK RECOVERY AND FLASH A ROM THAT WILL GIVE ROOT ACCESS (MY PREFERRED METHOD):
    B – use the other update.zip (1.7MB) and this will flash CWR for you – allowing you to immediately flash a custom ROM.. I do this because it's faster.

A: Download this update.zip file to root your phone. You plan to install Rom Manager to flash CWR and a new ROM later.

B: Download this update.zip file to flash CWR... you will need to flash a custom ROM for Root. I prefer this method.

NOW DOWNLOAD THE ROM YOU PLAN TO FLASH

Copy the update.zip (and the ROM) to the INTERNAL SD (not the external SD Card). sdcard/

Unplug the USB (assuming you are still connected after using ODIN)...

Hold down volume up + volume down + Power for about 9 seconds.

If you prefer, you can power off your phone, then hold in all 3 buttons to boot into recovery, I don't see the point in waiting for the phone to power off.

This will get you to a recovery menu (blue/purple text) after some yellow text.

In this (the stock recovery menu) select 'Reinstall Packages'

Use volume to navigate + power to select.

It will cycle a bit, you will see that yellow text again, then it will return to the stock recovery. Select Reinstall packages again.

You are now in CWR (clockwork recovery).

You can either reboot, flash your new ROM or make a backup now...
    I COVER HOW TO FLASH ROMS LATER – JUST KEEP READIN BELOW

Yeah, it is that easy!! Read below for more information if needed.... but at this point you probably are done with what you came here for. I would encourage reading below for general knowledge and making sure you are doing things as easily as possible.

OKAY, I HAVE ROOT - NOW WHAT? BACKUP!!!

** Below are a list of several things I suggest backing up **

Titanium Backup – APPS

Download Titanium Backup from the Market and Open it. The Paid version is worth it's weight in gold... it does everything automagically. Buy it if you plan to flash a lot or have a lot of apps.

Click Menu > Batch
    Click on "Run" by backup all user apps
    Click on Run the batch operation
    All your apps are now backed up.

Please note that if you backup/restore System Apps, you are asking for problems. I do not ever mess with system apps and do not encourage it - unless you plan to stay on the same build. If you do, be smart about it.

Clockwork Recovery / Nandroid Backup!

Reboot into CWR (both volume buttons held in) while booting until you see “Vibrant'

Once there, go to Backup and run that. Should take about 5 minutes, maybe more.

If all hell breaks loose, this is a snapshot of your phone at that point... it's important to do this before flashing a new ROM!

Backup your Alternate Launcher (if you use one)

If you use a home replacement like ADW or LauncherPro, you can backup your home screen settings/icons (widgets cannot be restored however).

Launcher Pro: Click Menu > Preferences... scroll down to the bottom and click on backup.
    ADW EX: Menu > ADW SETTINGS > BACKUP.

Once you flash your ROM, you can now RESTORE your settings.

Rooted... Got a Backup... let the fun begin!!

WHAT ROM SHOULD I FLASH?!?!?!

This question is asked a LOT. The most often answer? Read the development section and pick the one that seems to fit you... if that does not work, backup your apps and try another. This is a very liquid process. Things change, phones are different, people tastes are different. Try and try again.

I will point out that if you have backed up your apps, moving from rom to rom is NOT a hard process. You can ODIN to JFD and have a new ROM booting in 10 minutes. Easy.

OKAY, HOW DO I FLASH A ROM?

* I typically root/flash immediately after using ODIN. This is assuming you did not.

1 – Download the ROM to your PC. ROMs are typically 140-190+MB’s. So yeah, it’s a big file.

2 – Check the MD5 if so inclined (Using Hastab – linked above).

3 – Mount phone to PC

4 – Drag ROM to root of internal memory (the large SD card where folders like the DCIM folder appears).

Should appear as: sdcard/TheRomName.zip

You DO NOT need to rename the ROM

5 – Unmount and reboot into clockwork recovery (using Rom Manager, or by pressing in both volume buttons and power… holding… and releasing power once the Vibrant logo is up).

6 – OPTIONAL (in CWR): Do a Factory Wipe, Wipe Data, & Wipe Dalvik Cache (advanced menu)

7 – Go to “install zip from sd card”, select zip from sd... choose your ROM and flash it (volume keys move up/down, power selects)

8 – OPTIONAL (I do not do this): After flashing, choose to wipe data and dalvik cache

Do NOT factory wipe again

9 – Reboot phone

10 – Your new ROM is going to boot. Initial boot will take a LONG time (10 minutes maybe).

You may hear a lady's voice (Linda) converting your file system – this is normal if your ROM has the Voodoo lagfix. No worries.

Do not touch the phone for 5-10 minutes after it has booted... Seriously, Do Nothing!. . This helps clear any possible bugs. Once you've waited, reboot phone by holding in power for about 9 seconds (rough guess)... And then....

RESTORE!!

After the phone boots and you waited, go to Market, Sign-in, Approve terms, Re-install Titanium Backup. I strongly suggest the Paid version (MUCH better)

Restore all Missing Apps+Data.

Again, I really do little with System apps.. too many issues, but the green ones may be fine to restore.

Restore anything else you have. (ie launcher)

Reboot again.

I dont use Facebook, but I've been told you need to remove it and add it sometimes?

WHAT ABOUT IF THERE IS AN UPDATE TO THE ROM?

Let's assume you flashed Axura 2.2.6 and then a week later 2.2.7 is released... well, how do you update?

Easy, just download it, place it on your internal memory, backup using titanium backup, reboot to recovery, make a nandroid backup, flash the new rom and reboot.

Now... if you are going to try a new rom (not an update to your existing ROM), you may want to go back to stock first, then flash the custom rom.

Why go back to stock? Some say that if you are on one rom and go to another rom there may be ghosts left behind from the previous rom. Using ODIN to get back to stock and then flashing a ROM ensures this is not going to happen.

RECONDITION YOUR BATTERY

AFTER FLASHING A ROM IF BAD BATTERY IS NOTED

Use phone til it dies on it's own, completely dead.
    Charge phone completely, plus 30 minutes longer.
    Unplug phone from charger
    Reconnect, you'll notice it's not full, charge till it is again.
    This is bump charging and NOT something you want to do often, a few times is okay, in my opinion. You could skip the bump charge if you like.
    Phone remains plugged in.
    Boot into recovery (volumes + power)
    Advanced > wipe battery stats, reboot.
    Use phone til it's literally about to shut off (or does)
    Charge till full +
    Use phone like normal

Everyone has a method, that's how I feel it works best.

WORSE CASE SCENARIO - YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE - WHAT TO DO?

Almost always a phone is not actually bricked. If you can get into download mode or see ANYTHING you can ODIN back to stock and your phone is good to go.

If you are NOT able to get into download mode, please read the thread below to make a Jig!

TRY A NEW KERNEL/MODEM
    New modems can increase signal and data speeds. Here is an incredible list of each thanks to XDA user scrizz.

Please pay notice to the version of android you are running (2.1, 2.2, etc.) CLICK HERE FOR A FULL LIST OF VIBRANT MODEMS

Kernels can overclock your processor, undervolt for battery, or remain stock but optimize things so the phone is snappier. These are always changing and there are always new builds coming out, so PLEASE review and make sure what you installing. These should install just like a rom... download, move to internal memory (sdcard/ ) and flash in clockwork recovery like you would a rom (install zip from sd).

NEED THE STOCK APPS BACK?

1 - Use the app BLOATER by Roman, it is found here!

THIS IS FOR THE MINORITY OF PEOPLE WHO CAN NOT GET INTO DOWNLOAD MODE OR STOCK RECOVERY. This used to be much more detailed, but is no longer an issue. Links saved here, just in case.
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=9663212&postcount=53
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=804305]
    I was able to resurrect my Vibrant! I thought it was done for but I found a post that said take out the sim, sd, and battery, plug in the usb, hold volume buttons, then put the battery back in, then bam! Download mode will put up. All they other ways to start dl mode wouldn't work anymore but this did the trick.

Thanks s15274n! Super helpful guide, used to use it a lot when I first was learning about flashing and I actually ended up making a .PDF of your guide so I can access it anytime, just in case. Again thank you!

Also, for anyone who wants the .PDF copy of s15274n's guide I made you can find it attached below.
    great!

Yes sir, I am on Eclair. Thank you very much! I just wanted to make sure before hand cause this is my first time rooting/flashing. I want to try to avoid Odin at this point, it scares me a bit.... lol.

Thanks a lot!

I followed your guide line for line and got everything going without any problem at all. I have Bionix-v resting right now... can't wait to play with it.

Thanks a lot for the guide. I guess it wasn't that hard after all but this really made me more comfortable!

To anyone else rooting/flashing for the first time, follow the guide step by step and it's easy as pie =)

Thanks again!
    Hey Tara,

ODIN gets you back to stock, but it does not work on a MAC (to my knowledge, this is still the case). There are work-arounds, but the easiest thing would be get on a pc and install the drivers... and proceed with ODIN.

That said, I would really hold off on that. Last time we had an OTA it caused issues for people (even those who were not rooted). Once the OTA is coming, we should be able to find the download link.... once we have that, we can download it, add root and make it a flashable zip like your new rom (MUCH easier/safer in my opinion). Plus, you keep root.

If you are really set on this, hit the general section sticky (also in my signature). I have a section for unrooting, but I really would encourage holding off. Especially when it could be a few weeks before you get the OTA update (rolls out in stages).

EDIT: your cwr backup is of your 2.1 system, you are on a 2.2 rom/kernel. You can not restore your 2.1 now because cwr does NOT restore the kernel. You could try flashing the 2.1 kernel and then immediately try to restore though.

I believe there are even .zips you can flash for stock JFD (like the phone shipped)... you could then remove the items that give you root... but I repeat again, just wait... no reason I can see to jump ship for an OTA update.