How many devs?

Search This thread

skivnit

May 21, 2012
I would like to have an idea of the dev support the phone will get. The s4 was a let down for me development wise, so it would be great to know which devs and how many will own the device. Wanam and AndreiLux won't get the s5 :(The M8 already got a good support.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Reactions: benno4403

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
I would like to have an idea of the dev support the phone will get. The s4 was a let down for me development wise, so it would be great to know which devs and how many will own the device. Wanam and AndreiLux won't get the s5 :(The M8 already got a good support.

Yeh I hope this phone has good support, the GS2 was incredible and still being played with on the forums, I've had an i777 past few years and it had ridiculous support and still does (pry would have stuck with it for now and see what happens over the next year but I dropped it in ocean other day and rice sure as heck didn't save it lol). Have an early S4 too that wife has and it was rooted and rom'd, then all the firmware and updates happened and that's when Dev support almost died on that phone. I actually thought of getting an S4 for my upgrade instead but since it'd be from AT&T it would be on the current bang your head through a wall firmware/baseband.

I seriously hope the S5 is able to root and have rom support, and not the cluster f' the S4 is now but I doubt it considering Sammy made Knox etc even more complicated now.

skivnit

May 21, 2012
Yea with Knox and all I just don't see much support, the s4 is just dead especially on the kernels side , I already preordered mine but now I'm not sure if I wanna keep it or cancel. The m8 is just a boring sexy phone (if you read the forums everyone is so scared they already put it in cases) so there's no other alternative atm

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
Yea with Knox and all I just don't see much support, the s4 is just dead especially on the kernels side , I already preordered mine but now I'm not sure if I wanna keep it or cancel. The m8 is just a boring sexy phone (if you read the forums everyone is so scared they already put it in cases) so there's no other alternative atm
That's my problem, need a phone now as my i777 took a swim after being so careful with it for 2 1/2 years. But there's like nothing out there, I can get a refurbed S4 through AT&T for free on my upgrade but it'll have the current baseband/firmware so screwed there, I can get an M8 which is unlockable but has a crap camera (looks fine on phone, not so when you upload pics or use on desktop), or the S5 where your just perma screwed being locked and knox. There's nothing else, and can't wait as need a phone now. Sucks, so much for the days of Android being open. I'm seriously considering going back to Apple as much as I dread that as at least you can still jailbreak and not deal with all the headaches of rooting and flashing now (thats if you can), not like the i777 days where it was a breeze.

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre

Dead? ROMs: Omega, Wanam, Echoe, Bobcat...
Kernels: KT, Adam, Faux, Alucard, Talexop...

I guess you're one more who doesn't have an idea of what Knox is, and then talks BS.

Reactions: Hellscythe

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl

I guess you're one more who doesn't have an idea of what Knox is, and then talks BS.
I don't think he meant dead as in "dead" you can still play around just a huge headache, i got lucky and have an early model S4 for wife, I think he meant Dev work and support/updates once they started changing firmware/baseband that made it too much of a hassle for Devs to deal with. With the S5 being even more strict and encrypted from whats said so far of updated Knox, at least with U.S. Carriers, makes me feel like there will be very little support. Some known Devs have already said their not going to bother with the S5 or at least U.S. variants :p

dandroid13

Dec 19, 2010
Porto Alegre
I don't think he meant dead as in "dead" you can still play around just a huge headache, i got lucky and have an early model S4 for wife, I think he meant Dev work and support/updates once they started changing firmware/baseband that made it too much of a hassle for Devs to deal with. With the S5 being even more strict and encrypted from whats said so far of updated Knox, at least with U.S. Carriers, makes me feel like there will be very little support. Some known Devs have already said their not going to bother with the S5 or at least U.S. variants :p

Well, there's a world outside the US. :p

Reactions: AndroidInsanity

AndreiLux

Jul 9, 2011
Just don't buy the international version (or more specifically third-world international version) if you're worried about this. The S4 was relatively lucky that I single-handedly did everything from scratch kernel side, else you'd be more disappointed.

Still don't see why anybody from the S4 gen would warrant buying the S5 or M8 when they'll be bashed by the end of summer.

Reactions: farid993

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
I also hope for great dev support. Although I have tried to learn how to build ROMS many times and still haven't got an idea how to really. I will be more than willing to help any dev.

Getting the S5 on release date hopefully!

skivnit

May 21, 2012

I know what Knox is and I was talking about the exynos variant, as Wanam left for the snapdragon version then he said the next phone is htc m8. I could care less about warranty I have been using smartphones since the beginning and I have never used the warranty. So yeah, if we end up with 3 devs that's "dead support to me"

Andreilux I know that by q3 more powerful phones will be on the market but my s4 is driving me crazy with sudden battery drains and wifi wakelocks, I just wanna get rid of if. And yes I'm thankful for your work since I used it on s3 n2 and s4

Last edited:
Reactions: sabre31

degast

Oct 1, 2008
I know what Knox is and I was talking about the exynos variant, as Wanam left for the snapdragon version then he said the next phone is htc m8. I could care less about warranty I have been using smartphones since the beginning and I have never used the warranty. So yeah, if we end up with 3 devs that's "dead support to me"

I'm thinking of creating ROMs (at last!). I'm certainly buying the S5 and dev'ing for it.

Beefheart

Dec 5, 2007
England
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
The S5 won't see a massive amount of non-stock roms, and certainly less than the Snapdragon S4. But there will be some with the architecture being open source unlike Somsung's Exynos. Also, there will be a lot of roms based on stock.

To be honest, I'm probably going to be happy sticking with stock anyway as certain features will be lost as soon as Samsung's framework is taken out of the equation (fingerprint recognition being the main one).

What I would really love to see more than anything else is an exploit-based root solution that doesn't trip the knox flag. But I believe the Note 3 4.4.2 roms still haven't had that so I'm not holding my breath for the S5. I'm still deciding if I should leave my phone unrooted when I get it on Friday or just bite the bullet and trip the flag the CF Auto Root. The idea of not being able to use Viper4Android isn't one that appeals.

Reactions: PuckX and surf1

karlesg

Mar 1, 2011

surf1

Apr 12, 2009
south fl
The S5 won't see a massive amount of non-stock roms, and certainly less than the Snapdragon S4. But there will be some with the architecture being open source unlike Somsung's Exynos. Also, there will be a lot of roms based on stock.

To be honest, I'm probably going to be happy sticking with stock anyway as certain features will be lost as soon as Samsung's framework is taken out of the equation (fingerprint recognition being the main one).

What I would really love to see more than anything else is an exploit-based root solution that doesn't trip the knox flag. But I believe the Note 3 4.4.2 roms still haven't had that so I'm not holding my breath for the S5. I'm still deciding if I should leave my phone unrooted when I get it on Friday or just bite the bullet and trip the flag the CF Auto Root. The idea of not being able to use Viper4Android isn't one that appeals.
I agree, Touchwhiz has gotten a lot better, and I just use GoLauncher Prime and DiCikonZ icon package so I can put up with no roms, but really want to see a solution to root w/o tripping knox. I hate bloat that comes on Sammy/AT&T phones. And I want my damn Tibu back that I paid for.

PuckX

Apr 29, 2007
Lynnwood

Im in agreement with you on both points. I don't necessarily care about a custom ROM as much as I care about gaining root and getting rid of the bloatware. I am new to the Galaxy S world of things (my S5 arrives today!) so I am glad to know there is a potential early option although a non-preferable one that trips a no warranty flag. However as mentioned in someone elses reply I have never used a warranty option with a phone, but the one time I count on that I may be jinxing myself. ;)

Looking forward to getting my hands on this phone today, and hopefully root not too far behind.

Reactions: Adlebo

skivnit

May 21, 2012
I'm not into Roms that's I emphasize on kernel devs, that's how you unlock the phones potential

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Well, there's a world outside the US. :p
    Just don't buy the international version (or more specifically third-world international version) if you're worried about this. The S4 was relatively lucky that I single-handedly did everything from scratch kernel side, else you'd be more disappointed.

Still don't see why anybody from the S4 gen would warrant buying the S5 or M8 when they'll be bashed by the end of summer.