Groove IP Ending

Search This thread

zswielder

Feb 25, 2011
Hi, everyone.

Did a search and didn't find a dedicated thread for this, so I thought I'd write one. I recently learned that Groove IP is shutting down d/t a change Google is making to their Voice. It appears that the change is going to disable pretty much all other similar voip apps. I figured this would impact T-Mobile $30/mo plan VOIP users the most, so I wanted to give you a headsup. You can read more about it here

It's a sad ending to a great setup, but all good things come to an end.

P.S. I also heard that Google's Hangouts will be able to make/receive calls soon (hopefully), so if it comes before May, we may be ok. iOS version of hangouts already has this feature, which is messed up.

GT

Last edited:

b00b

Oct 24, 2010
Hi, everyone.

Did a search and didn't find a dedicated thread for this, so I thought I'd write one. I recently learned that Groove IP is shutting down d/t a change Google is making to their Voice. It appears that the change is going to disable pretty much all other similar voip apps. I figured this would impact T-Mobile $30/mo plan VOIP users the most, so I wanted to give you a headsup. You can read more about it here

P.S. I also heard that Google's Hangouts will be able to make/receive calls soon (hopefully), so if it comes before May, we may be ok. iOS version of hangouts already has this feature, which is messed up.

GT

was expecting this to end on May 15th, but til today, GrooVeIP is still working for me.

I can log into my GV using my email, same as usual and i can still make calls and still recieve calls :eek:

Is anyone else GrooVeIP and GV still working?

zswielder

Feb 25, 2011
was expecting this to end on May 15th, but til today, GrooVeIP is still working for me.

I can log into my GV using my email, same as usual and i can still make calls and still recieve calls :eek:

Is anyone else GrooVeIP and GV still working?

Yep. It's still working. There are many speculations as to why, but I guess only Google knows what's really going on.

b00b

Oct 24, 2010
Yep. It's still working. There are many speculations as to why, but I guess only Google knows what's really going on.

Thanks for confirming, thought i was being very very lucky :p

Anyway, have you or anyone tried the new GrooVeIP v2.0.4 which gives you a new number via ring.to because of the pending Google termination?

I cant seem to get this new version to work for me.

Using Xperia SP, Android 4.3 and using 4g/LTE.

The problem i am having is that i can not make any calls, i keep getting the popup saying -

"Call failed

Please make sure your network is not set to IPv6 only. On mobile data this can be done by opening the android settings, pressing More under Data usage. Then Mobile Networks, then Access Point Names and pressing the selected Access Point. Scroll down and change APN Protocol and APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6
"

I checked my APN as above and both options was set to IPv4 anyway, so that is not the problem :(

However, when i revert back to the older GrooVeIP version that uses my GV number, it works ok, i can call out and i can receive calls no problems or complaints about IPv6 settings.

Any comments or solutions?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-13-11-11-55.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-13-11-11-55.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

zswielder

Feb 25, 2011
Thanks for confirming, thought i was being very very lucky :p

Anyway, have you or anyone tried the new GrooVeIP v2.0.4 which gives you a new number via ring.to because of the pending Google termination?

I cant seem to get this new version to work for me.

Using Xperia SP, Android 4.3 and using 4g/LTE.

The problem i am having is that i can not make any calls, i keep getting the popup saying -

"Call failed

Please make sure your network is not set to IPv6 only. On mobile data this can be done by opening the android settings, pressing More under Data usage. Then Mobile Networks, then Access Point Names and pressing the selected Access Point. Scroll down and change APN Protocol and APN Roaming Protocol to IPv4 or IPv4/IPv6
"

I checked my APN as above and both options was set to IPv4 anyway, so that is not the problem :(

However, when i revert back to the older GrooVeIP version that uses my GV number, it works ok, i can call out and i can receive calls no problems or complaints about IPv6 settings.

Any comments or solutions?

Did you try asking the GrooveIP's developer? They(he?) are pretty good at helping. In the past, I contacted them on 2 different occasions, and I got help pretty much instantly both times.

On a side note, Google is planning to add a call feature to hangouts app (already done for iPhone version), which will let you make and receive calls via hangouts. So, if I were you, I'd just wait for that instead of jumping on to a different setup.

b00b

Oct 24, 2010
Did you try asking the GrooveIP's developer? They(he?) are pretty good at helping. In the past, I contacted them on 2 different occasions, and I got help pretty much instantly both times.

On a side note, Google is planning to add a call feature to hangouts app (already done for iPhone version), which will let you make and receive calls via hangouts. So, if I were you, I'd just wait for that instead of jumping on to a different setup.

Yeah will contact the GrooVe IP developers, it just that the few topics i read on the ring.to forum doesnt seem to point to a solution other than, doing what the popup said about IPv6 as above and on another a comment claiming that "Ring.to does not connect on 4G/LTE", which make no sense as the new GrooVeIP that is only now working with Ring.to clearly has an option that you tick to allow connection via 3g/4g, and also i can call using the old GrooVeIP app on 4g, so just thought that my friends at xda may have a working solution :D

Although i do not use Google Hangout, will see how it works on android once that is in place.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, everyone.

GT