How to copy CWM backups to PC from /mnt/shell/emulated?

Search This thread

jasonwc

Dec 11, 2010
So, CWM saves its backups and blob directory in /mnt/shell/emulated which is not accessible via MTP. I've started using TWRP for all my new backups but I would like to copy the existing CWM backups to my PC before wiping the directory on my phone. It's currently using 8-9 GB. However, when I try to move the directory from /mnt/shell/emulated to a directory in a directory in /sdcard, the move operation ends instantly and nothing is copied. I'm wondering if the problem is that I don't have enough free space. I've got about 2.5 GB free.

EDIT: It appears that you need to have enough space to copy the entire directory before deleting it. The phone ran out of space halfway through a file copy using ES File Explorer. I guess that's why Root Explorer won't allow the move to begin.

Last edited:

dralways

Mar 4, 2012
I would like to do this as well like I used to do with older versions of CWM on my Gnex. Then it was as easy as moving the large backup file found in /sdcard/clockworkmod/ folder.

I just tried that adb pull command mentioned in the post above and this starts to copy the entire contents of my phone to some unknown source on my PC (I can't find where?).

How would one go about simply backing up a CWM nandroid restore file onto a PC?

Mar 7, 2011
cmd prompt not working

Create a folder on your computer and open the command prompt from that directory. And then run adb pull /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backup

This way only the backups will be copied to your pc, not the whole storage.

Hi, I just ran into this issue also. I tried the cmd prompt but it doesn't pull anything. It says 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know it's been a while since the last post but thank you.

dushan90

Dec 22, 2008
Seeduwa
Hi, I just ran into this issue also. I tried the cmd prompt but it doesn't pull anything. It says 'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I know it's been a while since the last post but thank you.

>Go to your android sdk folder/platform-tools.
>r.click an empty space while holding down the shift.
>Select Open Command Window here
>then run the adb command

This should work

Reactions: dzuno

dzuno

May 12, 2013
Create a folder on your computer and open the command prompt from that directory. And then run adb pull /mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backup

how if I want to put it back into CWM? is there any specific way to do that? or I just have to copy and paste the data to the "/mnt/shell/emulated/clockworkmod/backup" directory.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use adb to pull the directory to your computer, adb pull /mnt/shell/emulated

So, CWM saves its backups and blob directory in /mnt/shell/emulated which is not accessible via MTP. I've started using TWRP for all my new backups but I would like to copy the existing CWM backups to my PC before wiping the directory on my phone. It's currently using 8-9 GB. However, when I try to move the directory from /mnt/shell/emulated to a directory in a directory in /sdcard, the move operation ends instantly and nothing is copied. I'm wondering if the problem is that I don't have enough free space. I've got about 2.5 GB free.

EDIT: It appears that you need to have enough space to copy the entire directory before deleting it. The phone ran out of space halfway through a file copy using ES File Explorer. I guess that's why Root Explorer won't allow the move to begin.
    I just tried that adb pull command mentioned in the post above and this starts to copy the entire contents of my phone to some unknown source on my PC (I can't find where?).

It copies to the directory that you ran the adb command from, so if you run abd from c:\windows\apps\adb it'll copy the files there

>Go to your android sdk folder/platform-tools.
    >r.click an empty space while holding down the shift.
    >Select Open Command Window here
    >then run the adb command

This should work