Using Vibrant Touch Wiz Launcher on Fascinate

Search This thread

voghan

Mar 24, 2010
I was able to take the TouchWiz30Launcher.apk from the Vibrant and replace the stock version on the Fascinate. What this buys me is the ability to have an Alphabetical grid option in the app drawer. I hated not having the grid in alphabetical order since I knew it was an option on the Vibrant. I posted this on the AC forums and since people liked it over there I'm posting it here.

Instructions:
1) Backup current apk & odex files

2) copy over new apk & delete the odex

3) restart your phone. If you don't you'll get a bunch of force close messages.

Attachments

• TouchWiz30Launcher.apk
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,118
Reactions: ruthlessbeatle

taypotts

Mar 28, 2009
twitter.com
Works great but one thing I would like to know how to do is set my own home screen. I only use 3 screens and I want to be able to use the 2nd screen but there is no option to do this with the vibrant launcher.

taypotts

Mar 28, 2009
twitter.com
Bam! New dock!!! The fascinate launcher doesnt allow this ;)

aedf518a-03bc-97fa.jpg

dakoop

Dec 19, 2009
You must share how you changed the dock

Sent from my voodoo powered fascinate

dialect129

Dec 4, 2007
fascinate does allow dock changes maybe not on touchwiz but in launcher pro..which is better anyways

Njzkrish

May 14, 2008
doesnt work for me when i replace the old apk. Wont install either.

Edit:

Ok for people needing help on installing this. Do as the OP states and do the following and for people who cant seem to get back onto TW you have to erase defaults on any current launchers and press home to set TW as default

This version of Touchwiz has GOOGLE SEARCH for people who want to use Tw only.

Last edited:
Reactions: n0yd

kvaughan

Feb 14, 2009
Awesome, thanks alot.

Now can someone PLEASE get the Vibrant's contacts app working on the Fascinate? :)

DeezNotes

Apr 14, 2010
Baltimore
There's more than one way to do this. I would not use Titanium Backup for this. Replacing the stock launcher can cause force close errors which can make getting to the Titanium Backup app impossible. I mean... think about it... you're deleting the launcher - and you use the launcher to launch Titanium Backup. ADB is most likely the best method to get this done, however a file manager such as Root Explorer will also do the job.

This didn't work for me initially, because I only had the stock TouchWiz launcher installed. The best way to get this installed is to have an alternate launcher installed, such as Launcher Pro. You also must have root access to your phone. I'm not responsible for what you do.

- If you only have the stock launcher installed, install an alternate such as Launcher Pro from the Market.
- If you have multiple launchers already, make sure TwLauncher is NOT the default. Clear the default by going to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > *whatever launcher you use* > Clear Defaults
- Make Launcher Pro your current launcher - if the TouchWiz Launcher is active, you will have problems
- Copy the TouchWiz30Launcher.apk to your SD card (I put mine in my /sdcard/download/ folder - this is where I keep downloaded .apk files)
- Make a backup (COPY) the original Verizon TouchWiz30Launcher files (I copied /system/app/TouchWiz30Launcher.* to /sdcard/bacukp/app-del/ - this is where I keep all the stock bloatware files; I keep them there just in case... that's why you'll never see me post "help!! I deleted this file and I need it back!")
- Copy the new TouchWiz30Launcher.apk file from /sdcard/download/ to /system/app/ - overwriting the original one - make sure you backed this file up first!!
- Delete the /system/app/TouchWiz30Launcher.odex file - make sure you backed this file up first!!
- Reboot the phone

If you cleared the launcher defaults, it should ask which launcher you want to use after you unlock your phone. The Vibrant Launcher should now work. I don't see how to change the dock other than to edit the .apk directly. The alphabetical grid is option is there and the settings (gear) button isn't - you know, the one that lets you edit home screens and stuff. Those are the only differences I notice.

The instructions above should allow you to use ADB or a file manager. As long as you read them and you understand what you're doing, you should be okay.

Last edited:

jatilq

Oct 19, 2007
I used Android Commander and followed the instructions above. I cannot get the dock like posted a few post ago, but I'm happy with this and the loss of bing.

bbeaulieu

Jan 7, 2010
This is pretty sweet. Along with the Google Search widget and the Alphabetic Grid, I like that the dock at the bottom is more transparent. I downloaded the Epic dump and tried to put that launcher in my system/app directory the same way but it totally didn't work. =[

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was able to take the TouchWiz30Launcher.apk from the Vibrant and replace the stock version on the Fascinate. What this buys me is the ability to have an Alphabetical grid option in the app drawer. I hated not having the grid in alphabetical order since I knew it was an option on the Vibrant. I posted this on the AC forums and since people liked it over there I'm posting it here.

Instructions:
    1) Backup current apk & odex files

2) copy over new apk & delete the odex

3) restart your phone. If you don't you'll get a bunch of force close messages.
    doesnt work for me when i replace the old apk. Wont install either.

Edit:

Ok for people needing help on installing this. Do as the OP states and do the following and for people who cant seem to get back onto TW you have to erase defaults on any current launchers and press home to set TW as default

This version of Touchwiz has GOOGLE SEARCH for people who want to use Tw only.