[Q] GALAXY NOTE 2 Metal back cover?

Search This thread

qazkamakazi

Feb 1, 2009
Hey guys, anyone know if, for the Galaxy Note 2, a metal back cover instead of the original plastic one is available to purchase from anywhere?
I want to my note 2 to have a metal back and a case is just not cutting it due to the added bulkiness, it would be much easier if instead of the detachable plastic cover, a metal cover is attached instead.
Now i know that the original plastic cover has an NFC antenna within it so im not sure if this is why im unable to find one online.

Any ideas?

busab

Jun 25, 2010
Greer, SC
Keep checking ebay. I'm sure some Chinese ones will be popping up here real soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

SchusterIX

Sep 25, 2012
Cincinnati
Wouldn't it cause interference problems? I'm no expert here...so probably wrong; but I assume samsung uses crap plastic because it would block the signals, or at least cause problems.

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
It would indeed. Unless they embedded some antennae into it and had a way to connect it to the main device antennae (all of them), it'll just reduce signal strength.

saldawop

Dec 2, 2009
A rubber or textured back would be a nice option

+1

I like the feel of some of the HTC phones.Where they use a metal back with some sort of rubberised coating. Would be nice to have a back cover with that kind of texture, even if made of plastic

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

b4d5h0t

Apr 27, 2011
I had a brushed aluminium back on my note 1 which I bought from ebay it was sent from hong kong. Like the others said give it a couple of weeks and there will be new accessories appearing on ebay.

Im on the lookout for a desk dock and maybe an inductive charging kit

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app

vancamp

Apr 23, 2011
I think others have used Plasti-Dip to coat battery covers in order to give a more 'rubberized' feel. I know I'm going to be looking at something like that when I can finally get one out of Verizon.

Sent from my Xoom using xda premium

qazkamakazi

Feb 1, 2009
Alot of people are replying that a different case would intefer with th NFC.

As stated originally, I am aware of this, so when I ask of any alternatives, I ask with the NFC issue dealt with.

IMO, A plastic back is not worthy of my note 2 :good:

FloatingFatMan

Apr 20, 2005
Alot of people are replying that a different case would intefer with th NFC.

As stated originally, I am aware of this, so when I ask of any alternatives, I ask with the NFC issue dealt with.

IMO, A plastic back is not worthy of my note 2 :good:

ANY metal case WILL kill your signal UNLESS it's also designed to function as an antenna; which isn't going to happen. So you can either get used to the plastic back, deal with losing some functionality, or get a different phone.

qazkamakazi

Feb 1, 2009
ANY metal case WILL kill your signal UNLESS it's also designed to function as an antenna; which isn't going to happen. So you can either get used to the plastic back, deal with losing some functionality, or get a different phone.

I'm guessing you didn't read what I wrote despite you quoting it lol. If you read, I asked, with the nfc issue sorted. So in simpler words for you, a case supporting nfc.

Instead you just told me something I already know..
If you don't know of any, then next time you don't need to reply, as rather than answering my question all you just did is try to sound knowledgeable. Well done.

Anyway, asking questions on xda seems to get a lot of hate. Just read 2 other threads and it was filled with blunt, unhelpful replies.

MadfishGTB

Sep 28, 2012
I'm guessing you didn't read what I wrote despite you quoting it lol. If you read, I asked, with the nfc issue sorted. So in simpler words for you, a case supporting nfc.

Instead you just told me something I already know..
If you don't know of any, then next time you don't need to reply, as rather than answering my question all you just did is try to sound knowledgeable. Well done.

Anyway, asking questions on xda seems to get a lot of hate. Just read 2 other threads and it was filled with blunt, unhelpful replies.

I think he was referring more to the fact that you will lose your GSM radio signal with a metal back cover, he was not referring to the NFC.

Personally I think the plastic/polycarbonate material they use for the note 2 is of high quality and keeps the phone light yet strong and keeps radio performance at it's best...

Perhaps the note 2 isn't for you if you feel the quality is that bad?

qazkamakazi

Feb 1, 2009
If he was referring to the gsm, then my bad.

The note 2 is perfect, I had the Dell streak before the note series etc as I'm in love 5" phabs,
I just wondered if alternatives were available, the current back looks good but I'm just a fan of metal covers.
So don't get it wrong as I'm not slating the current back.

So anyway, if it's not available then never mind, curiosity was just asking. :cool:

Last edited:

MadfishGTB

Sep 28, 2012
There is another thread on here in this section which mentions some soon to be released alternative back covers for the GN2. They look metallic but not sure if they are actually metal... there is a lovelly carbon fiber effect one too :)

qazkamakazi

Feb 1, 2009
Great, just found it,

I think I'll stick with the original for now as original is always best looking, but I hope after a while a decent amount of accessories get produced as these days if it's not Iphone it gets slept on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here ya Go

I just happen to stumble upon these today on Ebay, they seem like exactly what you wanted.

White Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-cover...614044?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item1c2c14541c

Grey Model http://www.ebay.com/itm/BATTERY-COV...027?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d5f67c13

I hadn't thought about these, but they are actually nice looking.
    I would be quite happy with a back cover like the one on the blue Note 1
    Interesting, i was goint to say, if NFC was the only problem, then I wouldn't mind sacrificing the NFC, as its main use, NFC payment, hasnt been rolled out much in the UK.
    But since everything else is blocked then I guess this thread and the idea is pointless.

Anyway, Just saw the links posted above, interesting indeed.
    The grey titanium one posted above seems to have plastic inside with a metal back,

busab, you said you bought one, when it comes, mind sharing any signal problems, if any?

Yeah I will share my results. I am waiting on the Tmobile version of the note 2 to be released though. Hopefully the battery door and the phone will show up around the same time :D

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Ha, small world I live in Columbia, SC.

Indeed it is my friend! :beer:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    Ok so I got my metal back cover in the mail today and I also got my tmobile note 2 also today. Great timing huh?

Quality wise its decent. The only problem is the "galaxy note II" lettering on the back. The "note" part is kinda messed up. I'll see if I can get some pictures up here in a bit.

It fits perfectly, so no issues there. It feels really nice to the touch and I prefer it to the stock battery cover. It just makes it feel more sturdy.

As far as signal goes, I really don't see any difference. I am in a fairly strong signal area though. Maybe it will make a difference in fringe areas but I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway that's my quick little review.

Edit: I went into the phone status menu and looked at the signal strength with the metal cover on and with it off. With it off it was hovering around -93,with it on it was staying around -97. So it does affect the signal a little bit.

y5u6epub.jpg
    tudu4y9y.jpg
    jadany4u.jpg
    pusa7egu.jpg
    y5a6evah.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2